Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
As per AC Signature Suite page - July 2, 2021

* Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

canadiancow's photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0nui9iIVxRH5nczi1

Video of Signature Suite along with menus and food shots. https://youtu.be/QDdKM735n3k
Print Wikipost

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Perhaps, but the idea of the lounge is for J pax, an airline divide up the hard/soft product between rev and award business class travel is meh.
I'm pretty sure the "idea of the lounge" is to provide a better experience for people who give them lots of money. However, that's generally a tough metric to use for "easy to understand" access rules.

If your goal is to develop a business class lounge for your business class pax, then it should not matter if it's paid J or redemption of points or e-uped or LMU or Bid.
But that's not really the goal of any company, is it? They want to make more money. Providing better lounge access to a UA credit card churner who found AC I space does not make them more money.

LMU and bids are a somewhat different matter (and easier to argue in favor of than eUpgrades).

As for SE, don't see why they should be given special treatment in this instance, as far as my understanding goes, no other airline in Star A does this.
Really? SQ's top tier gets SQ F lounge access on any itinerary. LH HON Circle gets LH FCL/FCT access on any itinerary. UA GS gets GFL access on J itineraries. UA GS gets LH FCL access on UA F itineraries.

And those are the ones I know of.

I'm not sitting here saying "I'm SE therefore I'm more important". But with the AQD requirements, there are (or at least should not be) any bottom-feeder SEs (me excluded). Is the SE spending $50k/year who happens to be in PY on YYZ-LHR less important than the FOTSG $2k P fare? Absolutely not.

If would be like if you redeemed F on Lufthansa but can only use the business class, poor reflection on brand. If they are being like this over rev vs other means to J, then I see no reason to pay the premium flying with them with actual money.
I have used miles to evaluate other airlines. Certain ones have earned my business, and others have ensured I'll never pay to fly them. So I understand that argument.

If there is actual space left after.. then I feel SE in PY should be the first on the list.
Why? Why not SE in R? SE in I? SE in Y?

Why has AC made it "revenue J only" and not "tickets where this segment cost more than $2000"? Because the former is much easier to comprehend.

I have a few more of these coming up:

Do you really think AC wants to give me the Signature Suite experience? Absolutely not. But "pro-rated segment cost must be greater than or equal to $X CAD" would be impossible to use in marketing, very difficult to implement, and would surely result in arguments at the desk. But without those two issues, I guarantee you they'd prefer that to the existing system, even if it excludes me and includes some people on economy fares.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Can't have people in Y cheapening the lounge now can we?
For years Customers have been asking for exclusivity and now they finally have it. Based on the headline, the photos and the stellar review, it's no wonder that everybody will want in. Wish them great success and glad to know that our Customers have the ability to enjoy a truly great lounge experience. ^
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: HH Silver
http://business.financialpost.com/tr...hrough-toronto

Air Canada has ramped up its effort to attract premium-fare-paying passengers with the launch of a swanky Signature Suite at Toronto Pearson International Airport. This is its fourth lounge at the airport, but the first and only one exclusively catering to international business travellers, offering a full-service restaurant, signature cocktails and an escape from the usual busy crowds at the airport.

Air Canada’s President of Passenger Airlines Benjamin Smith said the lounge — which took 12 months to design and will officially open on Friday — is one of many steps the company is taking to attract more premium customers.

“We’ve invested money at our main hubs — in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver — where passengers can have an exclusive experience from curb all the way to the lounge. This will elevate us to a position that no other North American airline can aspire to,” Smith said in an interview from the lounge last week.

“We’re enticing more customers to fly on our premium products, and we are investing more money because the return on investment is showing that’s definitely worth it.”
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Exclusivity at what cost
To be honest, as a SEMM who is loyal and who was not invited to the preview I see this as a disappointment esp. if I am flying in J on a Lat fare using my eUps
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Any lounge, no matter how nice isn't as appealing when it's full. This is also a business class lounge so there are actually many business class passengers on each flight. Access needs to stay restricted so that it's even worthwhile to go there.

This is why LH FCT is amazing...so quiet and peaceful. It is also convenient with its own security and the drive to the plane. Access is given to "O" passengers because there are few of them, relatively speaking.

Look at LX... they don't even give access to their F lounges in ZRH to people buying cheap UA stock fares.

Services... both departure and arrival are usually best at a carrier's home airport so that does entice passengers to fly that carrier.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by xray
Any lounge, no matter how nice isn't as appealing when it's full. This is also a business class lounge so there are actually many business class passengers on each flight. Access needs to stay restricted so that it's even worthwhile to go there.
Which is why many airlines (most recently Delta) have announced changes to entry requirements, as lounges have become hangouts and not havens. From what we've been told, renovations and upgrades are planned for the existing MLL's @ YYZ.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Which is why many airlines (most recently Delta) have announced changes to entry requirements, as lounges have become hangouts and not havens. From what we've been told, renovations and upgrades are planned for the existing MLL's @ YYZ.
So they're going to stop letting in the riff raff?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do any other airlines within *A have this kind of access requirement (airline's own metal) for a J lounge?

I know LH/LX/SQ all have special F lounges if you're flying their metal, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that do it for J.

AC is basically saying "if you want a good lounge experience in YYZ, you have to fly us".

It makes me wonder what the point is of an alliance if I have to fly the airport's "home airline" to have a good experience.
Not so different from SQ in Singapore.

Originally Posted by expert7700
Compare this to LH first class terminal, who told me it would be 'very tight' to order a well done steak at T-60minutes before my flight.
That's because it would take the better part of an hour to calm the chef down after he threatens to quite or kill you for placing that order.
xray, eracerblue and PB53x11 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Not so different from SQ in Singapore.
Isn't their J lounge accessible to any J passenger? I didn't think it had to be SQ metal. The lounge is pretty poor if that's the case.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: AC SE
Seriously? Coors Banquet, Heinken, Canadian?? That is so disappointing. It seems like AC put a lot of effort in thought in everything in this lounge to reflect Canadian culture and to offer local flavors but they go ahead and pick industrial crap beers for their flagship lounge? There are so many extraordinary craft brewers in Canada that offer unique and high-quality products. The volume required to supply this lounge will not be huge so I suspect many microbreweries could easily have met AC's demand.

Then again, maybe AC just doesn't see beer as a premium beverage in general and just expects people to drink Moet. I know what I would choose if I were offered the choice between Coors and Moet. But the choice wouldn't be so clear if there were some brews from Beau's, Dieu du Ciel or Driftwood on tap.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I am just surprised they invited a bunch of SEs to come and view it, only to tell them they cant access the lounge unless they are buying J-class. Weird.

They should have contacted customers who they know fly paid J-class from YYZ and let them have a look at it (and yes, many of them would be SE). Or, maybe this what they actually did do??
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
Seriously? Coors Banquet, Heinken, Canadian?? That is so disappointing. It seems like AC put a lot of effort in thought in everything in this lounge to reflect Canadian culture and to offer local flavors but they go ahead and pick industrial crap beers for their flagship lounge? There are so many extraordinary craft brewers in Canada that offer unique and high-quality products. The volume required to supply this lounge will not be huge so I suspect many microbreweries could easily have met AC's demand.

Then again, maybe AC just doesn't see beer as a premium beverage in general and just expects people to drink Moet. I know what I would choose if I were offered the choice between Coors and Moet. But the choice wouldn't be so clear if there were some brews from Beau's, Dieu du Ciel or Driftwood on tap.
Are you suggesting that beer isn't good unless it's from a microbrewery?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: AC SE
Are you suggesting that beer isn't good unless it's from a microbrewery?
I'm saying the selected beers are not in line with the premium experience offered at this lounge.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by Plumber
I am just surprised they invited a bunch of SEs to come and view it, only to tell them they cant access the lounge unless they are buying J-class. Weird.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. In fact, if I was SE, I would be less inclined to buy paid J as I would have the highest chance of upgrade or as another poster wrote, can buy Lat and upgrade (since SE have a larger cache of eups). I am not sure if lounge access would make them buy J... (cheaper P of course is great for anyone)
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Isn't their J lounge accessible to any J passenger? I didn't think it had to be SQ metal. The lounge is pretty poor if that's the case.
You are right. It is their "the Private Room" that I was thinking of (for SQ F passengers).
Originally Posted by jasdou

While I agree that some local truly craft brews would have been nice, you are picking out the worst of the lot - they do offer a cross-section of 8 beers of varying styles - albeit supplied by the big boys. You could easily make the same argument about the choice of Moet - surely the "Molson Canadian" of champagnes. I thought they did a better job with the wine selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.