Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
As per AC Signature Suite page - July 2, 2021

* Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

canadiancow's photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0nui9iIVxRH5nczi1

Video of Signature Suite along with menus and food shots. https://youtu.be/QDdKM735n3k
Print Wikipost

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by jasdou
Seriously? Coors Banquet, Heinken, Canadian?? .
Maybe if you live in Canada you will not drink "Canadian' at the lounge. But some reasonable percentage of people using this lounge will be returning to their own country. My guess is they would want to drink Canadian...many guests I have entertained from abroad over the years have tended to gravitate towards Canadian.

As for Heineken, it is an international standard...you are hard pressed to find somewhere that does not carry it....

I have no comment on Coors Banquet.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm pretty sure the "idea of the lounge" is to provide a better experience for people who give them lots of money. However, that's generally a tough metric to use for "easy to understand" access rules.
But isn't that the whole point of AQD thresholds? Provide an easy cutoff to determine who is profitable and who isn't, to justify the delivery of certain benefits.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by gabdusch
But isn't that the whole point of AQD thresholds? Provide an easy cutoff to determine who is profitable and who isn't, to justify the delivery of certain benefits.
If AC had their way, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an "SE200K" level with $50,000 AQD spend, and that group would get lounge access.

Meanwhile, I also would not be surprised if their top SE clients purchase J anyway most of the time.

Maybe the MMs are the casualty here, but similarly not all MMs are profitable (and dare I say some may have even never been ).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Plumber
I am just surprised they invited a bunch of SEs to come and view it, only to tell them they cant access the lounge unless they are buying J-class. Weird.

They should have contacted customers who they know fly paid J-class from YYZ and let them have a look at it (and yes, many of them would be SE). Or, maybe this what they actually did do??
Possibly. I did take a paid J international flight earlier this year (a very fun & comfortable mileage run in J to HKG & SIN)
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jasdou
Seriously? Coors Banquet, Heinken, Canadian?? That is so disappointing. It seems like AC put a lot of effort in thought in everything in this lounge to reflect Canadian culture and to offer local flavors but they go ahead and pick industrial crap beers for their flagship lounge? There are so many extraordinary craft brewers in Canada that offer unique and high-quality products. The volume required to supply this lounge will not be huge so I suspect many microbreweries could easily have met AC's demand.

Then again, maybe AC just doesn't see beer as a premium beverage in general and just expects people to drink Moet. I know what I would choose if I were offered the choice between Coors and Moet. But the choice wouldn't be so clear if there were some brews from Beau's, Dieu du Ciel or Driftwood on tap.
Beau's would be awesome.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Benner
Beau's would be awesome.
Absolutely!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Benner
Beau's would be awesome.
I'm mad at Beaus....but love their beer.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
AC should be strict with this lounge's entrance requirements.

Paid J? Yes.
E-Ups/LMU? Yes.
Op-Ups? No.
Awards in J? No, though maybe allow soft/discretionary exceptions during slower periods but definitely not at TATL peak.
Companions not in J? Absolutely not. This is EXACTLY how you go from a lounge being under capacity to one being extraordinarily above capacity.
* Gold? 10000% No.

Lest this just degrade into a spiffier form of the MLL zoo.
Interesting. I would have thought the opposite in some cases - no to e-ups but yes to awards. That would be consistent with F lounge access policies on LH and SQ. LMU/bids are tougher, but I'd probably say yes since they are paying for J in a sense.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Having browsed through the various initial reports, I'm so excited about the lounge and think it's terrific.

However, I find it odd that given AC's claims that they're going after connecting passengers from the US, each J class return only allows one visit to the Signature Suite on the outbound. It would be nice if AC had a similarly exclusive area in the Transborder lounge catering to these passengers who were connecting from International J -> US.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Nobody on here has compared the newly announced access requirements with United's 'Classified' lounge in Newark. They email invites (I presume) a few days in advance. They might have totally different requirements behind the scenes from one day to the next....Without having to retract any published access rules like UA did with Polaris in ORD. You can also enter your FF# or pnr to express interest.

Maybe AC will also preselect and op-up a few passengers offering a 1 time pass upon arrival in the old Int'l MLL.

My hunch is they don't want it to be as ghost-town empty as some lounges (LH FCT & Emirates First DXB), but it will take a bit to find the right mix. The food in the ghost town lounges scares me... I've gotten sick after trying some low turnover buffet items.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 29, 2017 at 10:24 am
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Arcanum
Interesting. I would have thought the opposite in some cases - no to e-ups but yes to awards. That would be consistent with F lounge access policies on LH and SQ. LMU/bids are tougher, but I'd probably say yes since they are paying for J in a sense.
OZ F on award travel get F lounge access too, FWIW.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Having browsed through the various initial reports, I'm so excited about the lounge and think it's terrific.

However, I find it odd that given AC's claims that they're going after connecting passengers from the US, each J class return only allows one visit to the Signature Suite on the outbound. It would be nice if AC had a similarly exclusive area in the Transborder lounge catering to these passengers who were connecting from International J -> US.
In order for that strategy to be successful they would have to be on time a little more often. Many of AC's USA departures are frequently horribly delayed. Particularly those on Air Georgian and in the NE triangle. Which I would have to guess would be the primary target market for this strategy.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by gabdusch
Absolutely. In this case they have decided that those "certain benefits" do not apply to SE's or MM but do apply to people typically spending $3-5K one way to fly paid J out of Toronto. As a SEMM I may not like it, but I understand and respect it. Ensures that they keep riffraff like me out most of the time and tempt me to spend even more $ some of the time so that I can get in.

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Frankly the major benefit to the traveller is on the long inter-continental leg. I think the idea of grabbing a meal at the lounge, climbing on board and going straight to sleep as soon as you are airborne has huge value - particularly on flights to Europe where you don't get much sleep if you go through the full J meal experience. While it would be "nice" on the way home it doesn't have the same benefit when connecting for a short (by comparison) North American flight.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Absolutely. In this case they have decided that those "certain benefits" do not apply to SE's or MM but do apply to people typically spending $3-5K one way to fly paid J out of Toronto. As a SEMM I may not like it, but I understand and respect it. Ensures that they keep riffraff like me out most of the time and tempt me to spend even more $ some of the time so that I can get in.
I find myself agreeing with you. I am somewhat on the fence on award travel, but understand their approach. But for upgrades? Totally understand what they are up to. And I also agree that there is significant value to having a good meal before you board and being allowed to go right to sleep. That still only works if meal service on board is quick and quiet or the lights and noise are likely to result in a pretty crappy sleep.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AC SEMM
So if I have a paid J ticket (P or whatever) and my wife is on an Award "I" ticket, she is not allowed in?
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.