Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Today's question is on passengers returning to Canada with a past-positive COVID test result, in place of a <72hr-negative test result.
[...]
Regardless, I've been hearing multiple reports this month of (mainly sun-destination contract) AC staff denying boarding to passengers presenting a past-positive test without also having a negative test <72 hours before departure, and the concierge desk told me yesterday (incorrectly) that a <72hr negative test was required even alongside a past-positive..
I thought the issue is that once positive, you can continue to test positive on molecular tests for weeks to come after recovery. If that's the case, then this policy could prevent someone for flying for weeks/months?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I'm wondering if anyone's had similar experiences?
I know a person who was denied by AC in FRA, and there was no convincing anyone. Luckily it was an award ticket with free cancel, and it was still 8am, so there was no real consequence of "I work at the airport"
They rebooked on LOT and flew home just fine same afternoon.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:05 pm

Oh, have my own story for this thread from a few weeks ago.

Arrived at YYZ for a domestic flight 1 hour before departure (0830 departure, was there slightly before 0730) since I was trying to do a same day change. AP was closed at that time, AC phone reservations couldn't get the change done. Airport check-in agent said check-in cutoff at YYZ was now 90 minutes so she couldn't do the change, and acted like she was doing a favor to get me on standby (and retagging my bags) - but added myself to standby during OLCI.

As far as I saw online, check-in cutoff at YYZ is still 45 minutes for domestic flights but of course the agent said it was 90 minutes for all YYZ departures... Doesn't really matter at this point, but still something that sits in the back of my mind.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
I thought the issue is that once positive, you can continue to test positive on molecular tests for weeks to come after recovery. If that's the case, then this policy could prevent someone for flying for weeks/months?
that’s exactly why it is Canada’s policy and air Canada’s policy that you don’t need a PCR negative test result if you’ve tested positive in the last 180 days. Some il informed person at the airport should not override that policy.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Today's question is on passengers returning to Canada with a past-positive COVID test result, in place of a <72hr-negative test result.

The government's policy clearly states that anyone who's recovered from COVID can show their positive test result (if it's between 11 and 180 days old) in place of a negative test, in order to board a flight to Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...omestic-travel

Air Canada's published policy says the same thing.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...irement.html#/

Regardless, I've been hearing multiple reports this month of (mainly sun-destination contract) AC staff denying boarding to passengers presenting a past-positive test without also having a negative test <72 hours before departure, and the concierge desk told me yesterday (incorrectly) that a <72hr negative test was required even alongside a past-positive..

No issue in MIA on Saturday. 4 positive tests, 14 days old. Everyone got on the airplane. ArriveCAN was properly filled in.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE 100K
No problem for Mrs. SCD and I back from ORD to YWG on Jan. 14. Had a doctors note, the positive test result which was dated, and the vaccination details and it was more than enough for the AC staff at check in and Canada customs.

Last edited by streetcircusdan; Jan 19, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S

The government's policy clearly states that anyone who's recovered from COVID can show their positive test result (if it's between 11 and 180 days old) in place of a negative test, in order to board a flight to Canada.

I am shocked as the Government of Canada categorically states that no Canadian citizen or a PR would be denied. I would like to know others' experience on this as a lot of times it is third party handling staff.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I am shocked as the Government of Canada categorically states that no Canadian citizen or a PR would be denied. I would like to know others' experience on this as a lot of times it is third party handling staff.
You have to be at the Canadian border for a Canadian officer to deny or allow you to enter.

I don't think pre-Victorian sensibilities and concepts of citizenship coming into conflict with modern reality are going to be resolved any time soon, let alone in a FT thread.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K

I flew in from NAS on Saturday with a previous positive test - no hassle, seemed to know the rules and on arrival, CBSA didn't check arrivecan or positive test and just let me through. No arrival test.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Super elite desk: I am within my 24hrs or purchase but instead of refund/rebuy I want to:

- cancel half of a round trip from a paid us-canada ticket?"Impossible"
​​​​​​
-change my paid ticket aaa-bbb to bbb-aaa?
"Absolutely not sir, the system.will not allow.. Also impossible."
"Let me cancel the whole thing and use the travel voucher to rebuy"

-Oh, is that issued instantly now? Last I heard it was 6 weeks.
"No, sir. You misheard. It won't take 6 weeks. Just 30 *business* days.

-Ok, I think I understand . Very sorry to have doubted you. One more second.... before I drop off the call, can you refresh my ticket, to see what I did on your website?
pewpew, YYC3722 and EdmFlyBoi like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Mar 4, 2022 at 7:14 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 5:56 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
30 Business Days - I love it.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I flew with my nominee today. He was upgraded on SFO-YVR, but waitlisted for the return.

I told him to change back to his UA number, but he forgot.

On arrival, I asked if baggage claim could do it, and they said no.

We had to go to domestic for our Whistler shuttle, and since special services was there, and there was no line, we walked over. She mentioned this is where you go for a wheelchair, but asked what we needed. She said she could do it.

Then she said something like "he's already flown, I can't change it".

"He has a return flight too..."

"You'll have to call reservations"

Not in the mood to argue, and unsure due to the nominee status, I thanked her and left.

I called res, got a concierge (not by choice), and he did it no problem. Waitlist remains intact.

I just find it ridiculous that "he's flown a segment" was her excuse for not even trying.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I flew with my nominee today. He was upgraded on SFO-YVR, but waitlisted for the return.

I told him to change back to his UA number, but he forgot.

On arrival, I asked if baggage claim could do it, and they said no.

We had to go to domestic for our Whistler shuttle, and since special services was there, and there was no line, we walked over. She mentioned this is where you go for a wheelchair, but asked what we needed. She said she could do it.

Then she said something like "he's already flown, I can't change it".

"He has a return flight too..."

"You'll have to call reservations"

Not in the mood to argue, and unsure due to the nominee status, I thanked her and left.

I called res, got a concierge (not by choice), and he did it no problem. Waitlist remains intact.

I just find it ridiculous that "he's flown a segment" was her excuse for not even trying.
I try to avoid non-concierge staff unless absolutely necessary for certain requests like this.
So could you have waited and get a hold of a concierge in due time?

But yeah, lame.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I try to avoid non-concierge staff unless absolutely necessary for certain requests like this.
So could you have waited and get a hold of a concierge in due time?

But yeah, lame.
I try to avoid concierges unless I'm dealing with an urgent issue, or an issue that can only be solved by them, or in situations where I need to do it "in writing".

But I'm pretty sure any agent could have clicked the "change FQTV" button and it would have worked.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I try to avoid concierges unless I'm dealing with an urgent issue, or an issue that can only be solved by them, or in situations where I need to do it "in writing".

But I'm pretty sure any agent could have clicked the "change FQTV" button and it would have worked.
I get that, but sometimes (or most times), it would be most efficient in the end to get a concierge.
Something like this can be quickly done by them. I disagree with the notion that the concierge should be avoided for anything "simple". It's a case-by-case basis, and if you only do this on occasion, no harm, no foul. It's the infamous SEs (that concierges have their constant radar onto) that cause the most unnecessary work for them.

It's not like you're asking to have a specially prepared gift basket ready at your J seat upon boarding.
vernonc and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.