Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
While waiting to board 33 at YYZ recently the GA announced a 20 min delay starting off with "AC33 to Vancouver with continued service to Sydney, Australia....". A few panicked pax show up at the counter wondering what about possible missed connections to Bne or Mel and so on... she starts off with "oh don't worry" and here I am thinking she'll put them at ease but what comes next is "for those pax connecting to other destinations in Australia please consult one of our colleagues on the ground in Sydney for further updates". And every one of the pax had two bps for AC 33 and then 35/37 etc.. One girl asked her if she had to connect to Brisbane in Sydney and the GA said "yes of course this flight only takes you as far as Sydney." But I have a bp for my Bne flight the girl insists....oh the bp is just for your convenience, we don't fly to Bne

This was an actual announcement and you know, she works at the airport and such..^
I know fotsg pax and their lack of awareness is astounding but I always thought that the GA's working 33 and 1 etc were quite senior and would have a basic idea of what goes on in these situations..
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Indiavictorcharlie

Ok. Wow.
ffsim and Indiavictorcharlie like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:01 am

Clearly the first part of the AC33 GA is confusion about connections after arrival in SYD as opposed to connections in YVR. The second part about not flying to BNE and a BP for "convenience" .... maybe there are reasons to be concerned about the GA's confusion other than "I have to make-up some answer here to cover-up my ignorance".
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by robsaw
Clearly the first part of the AC33 GA is confusion about connections after arrival in SYD as opposed to connections in YVR. The second part about not flying to BNE and a BP for "convenience" .... maybe there are reasons to be concerned about the GA's confusion other than "I have to make-up some answer here to cover-up my ignorance".
I think the confusion is that the connection is in YVR rather than SYD. As posted above, the BPs were for 33, then 35 (BNE) or 37 (MEL).
Indiavictorcharlie likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Either or. Both just wow.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; SQ KF Elite Gold; AS MVP 75k; DL Plat.; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Gold;
I don't know how many people connect in Syd to other destinations in Aus/NZ and I'm sure it happens but I'd bet there is bigger cohort of connecting pax on 33 and then onto 35 or 37. The GA being confused is one thing but to say we don't fly to Bne is clearly incorrect info that can put a first time flyer or anyone new to the game into a total panic.
GA attitudes are of a varied nature: for a GA to look at a bp and say yeah you connect in Syd or yvr or wherever and that your connection will be fine etc.. is common even when a lot of us know we are going to misconnect. That is an example of the GA just passing the buck and not wanting to deal with the fallout from the delay(s). To explicitly state that everybody connects in Sydney is misinformation and also leads to a lot of unnecessary stress for everybody involved.
I explained to a few of the pax who were waiting to board around me that they connected in yvr and not Syd (after checking their bps) but then, I don't work at the airport so what do I know?
Twickenham and 24left like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 5:22 pm
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
AC ... Always Chaotic
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
After weather/mechanical kerfuffles yesterday, today is take-two flying YVR-YYZ. Snow and nasty weather in YYZ is creating massive problems with pretty much everything out of YVR to YYZ/YUL which is understandable but what's not understandable is the condescending and defeatist attitudes from AC staff today who work at the airport (YVR). After not even entertaining the idea of checking alternate flights that I suggested, the lounge dragon curtly told me that my boarding card/seat number will always be valid for boarding even if there is an equipment change. When I tried to tell her that my old seat physically doesn't exist on the new aircraft she said that she "didn't want to barter with me" and that she knew because she has worked for AC for 25 years. That was the end of it; I knew my efforts were futile. After all, she does work at the airport!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by marke190
After weather/mechanical kerfuffles yesterday, today is take-two flying YVR-YYZ. Snow and nasty weather in YYZ is creating massive problems with pretty much everything out of YVR to YYZ/YUL which is understandable but what's not understandable is the condescending and defeatist attitudes from AC staff today who work at the airport (YVR). After not even entertaining the idea of checking alternate flights that I suggested, the lounge dragon curtly told me that my boarding card/seat number will always be valid for boarding even if there is an equipment change. When I tried to tell her that my old seat physically doesn't exist on the new aircraft she said that she "didn't want to barter with me" and that she knew because she has worked for AC for 25 years. That was the end of it; I knew my efforts were futile. After all, she does work at the airport!
What happened when you boarded and found your seat missing?

Weather that bad at YYZ?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jc94

Weather that bad at YYZ?
Weather 'was' bad but cleared up now. It was -10C (-15C) with windhchill with blowing snow. Quite a few accidents on the hwys.
OP - how could someone claim the seats are the same on all aircraft ? Bizarre. And what barter ? Maybe she meant banter since there is nothing to barter.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
At least this means I'll see you tomorrow night.

But yes, the "I've been doing this X years" as they state something incorrect... ugh.
marke190 and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by vernonc
Weather 'was' bad but cleared up now. It was -10C (-15C) with windhchill with blowing snow. Quite a few accidents on the hwys.
OP - how could someone claim the seats are the same on all aircraft ? Bizarre. And what barter ? Maybe she meant banter since there is nothing to barter.
YUL GAs will allow an entire aircraft to board before realizing there are 20+ fewer seats then I they let down the bridge.

Take a seat, any seat
marke190 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94

Weather that bad at YYZ?
Originally Posted by canadiancow
At least this means I'll see you tomorrow night.

But yes, the "I've been doing this X years" as they state something incorrect... ugh.
Still haven't boarded yet, I plan on asking the GA at T-45.

At this rate though I'll definitely make it to the Do tomorrow night. Does the drink offer still stand @canadiancow ?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Still haven't boarded yet, I plan on asking the GA at T-45.

At this rate though I'll definitely make it to the Do tomorrow night. Does the drink offer still stand @canadiancow ?
Definitely
marke190 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.