Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'll reserve my energy and rage for something important.
Agreed. Which is why I handed mine over ... and my US one. I just can’t stand being ignored when I ask a question. Seems like a reasonable thing to expect a person in customer service who is in an engagement with you to at minimum acknowledge a question. Maybe I’m unrealistic. 🤷🏻.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Why so dismissive? Why no sense of giving a s#!t? It’s like they train them to be this way and take some kind of sick pride in being recalcitrant and intractable.
Some probably believe the nonsense that they work for the best airline in North America and have a superior attitude.
Some are probably just underpaid and overworked, or having a bad day
Some are probably trained that way, or not trained at all.

There are good people that work for AC. But its more of an individual rather than a culture at the company.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I’m tired of how AC airport CSRs treat folks - not just myself, but watching them with others. I have not had as bad of luck on the phone, but I would guess YMMV.

Today checking in at YEG with my Nexus card the agent said, “Do you have your passport?” I said yes. “I will need it too,” she said. I hand her my Canadian passport.

FWIW I am a 100k+ on two other airlines and a 50k on two others.

I asked the question, “I always carry my passports, but I have been able to check in with my Nexus card no problem before.”

No reply.

I asked again politely, “Do I need my passport to check in from now on?” (Given work needs have me coming back to AC on a challenge, I haven’t flown them with regularity for years - I felt it was a fair question and I meant it honestly).

No reply.

I asked, “Did you hear my question, or do you not know?”

No reply.

I said, “Clearly you don’t seem to care.”

Agent asks, “What address are you going to in the US?”

I said, “Oh here, (passing my US passport), I’m a dual national so you don’t have to put in an address.”

Agent, “You have to give me a US address.”

I hand her my US passport and said, “Just scan that and it should disappear.”

“It won’t” she insists. She scans my US passport and two boarding passes print and she hands them to me saying, “Boarding at 13:10.”

Why so dismissive? Why no sense of giving a s#!t? It’s like they train them to be this way and take some kind of sick pride in being recalcitrant and intractable.

Rant over.

It's because she works at the airport.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
They have in the past couple of months started always asking for my (Canadian) passport, either direction. I don't remember when it changed, the first time I idly handed it over, it wasn't for a couple of ask that I noticed, and was going to object (as I'd done before), but realized it had been several flights they always asked so something must have changed.

I'll reserve my energy and rage for something important.
I've been finding it more hit and miss. Friday at SFO, NEXUS was sufficient at the check-in counter. Every other flight this weekend (total of 4 transborder), I used OLCI so just had a doc check at the gate, and just used NEXUS.

However, two weeks ago at SFO, they wanted passports at check-in. "Our scanner is broken". But it's the same scanner for both documents...

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 6, 2019 at 7:06 am Reason: edit quote
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
However, two weeks ago at SFO, they wanted passports at check-in. "Our scanner is broken". But it's the same scanner for both documents...
I've posted about this before, but I used my NEXUS card instead of my passport for all of my transborder travel until one day a United gate agent at EWR essentially threw a .... fit when I provided my NEXUS card at boarding as ID, saying that only a passport was acceptable. I just switched back to using my passport. I could argue with these people, but why bother?

It's because she works at the airport.
Indeed. I wish AC could clone the "enhanced" (I forget the word they have on their badge) agents that they usually have at the SE100K check-in desk (if the concierge themselves are not there) - they tend to be in better humour, but probably because they don't have to deal with Joe Q FOTSG all the time. The ones at the YOW SE100K desk are usually happy to see me at least ;-)
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Indeed. I wish AC could clone the "enhanced" (I forget the word they have on their badge) agents that they usually have at the SE100K check-in desk
LOL... "Premium" Agent
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:05 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Glad to see this thread re-opened

But this agent doesn't even work at the airport!
Depends on which call centre the agent was at, since the Montreal call centre is at YUL
​​
Originally Posted by vernonc
Thread title includes airport and airline
​​​​​
It didn't when I made the first comment, hence my second
I miss the old title, it was snappier
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I've posted about this before, but I used my NEXUS card instead of my passport for all of my transborder travel until one day a United gate agent at EWR essentially threw a .... fit when I provided my NEXUS card at boarding as ID, saying that only a passport was acceptable. I just switched back to using my passport. I could argue with these people, but why bother?

Indeed. I wish AC could clone the "enhanced" (I forget the word they have on their badge) agents that they usually have at the SE100K check-in desk (if the concierge themselves are not there) - they tend to be in better humour, but probably because they don't have to deal with Joe Q FOTSG all the time. The ones at the YOW SE100K desk are usually happy to see me at least ;-)
A current coworker is a former UA GA. According to her the FOTSG are generally nicer to deal with, tend to be happy and excited and are typically not rude and demanding. Yes FF know the ropes better but that is sometimes outweighed by the other factors.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fizzer
A current coworker is a former UA GA. According to her the FOTSG are generally nicer to deal with, tend to be happy and excited and are typically not rude and demanding. Yes FF know the ropes better but that is sometimes outweighed by the other factors.
I can see that. Every argument I have with an agent is along the lines of the first post in this thread. A FOTSG would just accept it and walk away, or say "well when I flew Canadian Airlines 28 years ago it worked that way".

I'm very happy and easy to deal with when SOP is followed. I'm a lot more pleasant missing an upgrade on a TATL than I am when I'm denied a meal on a TCON. Because one is working as intended, and the other is not.
Fizzer and Twickenham like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Last month in BWI I checked in and used my NEXUS. The agent asked if I had my passport, I said no. Well, I cant check you in. I said oh, this is new. Wait I think I have my passport.....she does her thing and my BP comes out with no TSA pre-check! The supervisor who I recognized when I came into BWI walked by and I asked him for assistance. I said the agent checked me in wrong. SHe snapped at me and said she did not. I said her training may have been hurried, and explained that she used my passport as its easier and faster but it overrides my Nexus. HE takes over, I handed him my Nexus card and BINGO my BP has my TSA pre-check. I then turn to the agent and say, that is why I do not use a passport!

At the Gate, the supervisor was there and not the agent, which made me happy. He apologized and said that they are in a hurry and the use of a passport is easier, but you have to go back in and add the Nexus card number.

It's a slippery slope when dealing with Airline employees as you do not want to get banned, have your luggage disappear or end up in a third world country, get a middle seat or have your itinerary totally changed!
flyquiet and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Last month in BWI I checked in and used my NEXUS. The agent asked if I had my passport, I said no. Well, I cant check you in. I said oh, this is new. Wait I think I have my passport.....she does her thing and my BP comes out with no TSA pre-check! The supervisor who I recognized when I came into BWI walked by and I asked him for assistance. I said the agent checked me in wrong. SHe snapped at me and said she did not. I said her training may have been hurried, and explained that she used my passport as its easier and faster but it overrides my Nexus. HE takes over, I handed him my Nexus card and BINGO my BP has my TSA pre-check. I then turn to the agent and say, that is why I do not use a passport!

At the Gate, the supervisor was there and not the agent, which made me happy. He apologized and said that they are in a hurry and the use of a passport is easier, but you have to go back in and add the Nexus card number.

It's a slippery slope when dealing with Airline employees as you do not want to get banned, have your luggage disappear or end up in a third world country, get a middle seat or have your itinerary totally changed!
I had the same experience at BWI last month. I did not require a supervisor to get it fixed though. I’m probably just infinitely more polite and handsome than you.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope

I had the same experience at BWI last month. I did not require a supervisor to get it fixed though. I’m probably just infinitely more polite and handsome than you.
And subtle & modest, too.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
It’s like they train them to be this way and take some kind of sick pride in being recalcitrant and intractable.
They do, without doubt. They get trained at the same place CATSA uses.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

Probably ......ouch!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

My complaint with BWI is they don't have a good handle of lost baggage. I had checked baggage coming from Vancouver through Toronto and one of the two bags was loaded in Vancouver, the other was left behind. In Toronto they figured this out and had to walk me through US border control and was advised to make a lost baggage claim in BWI. Well there is no AC staff at baggage claim, manage to flag down a someone who says you need to go upstairs to check in. At check in they are not certain what to do. I am walked down the hall into this small little room where the AC staff work out of when not at the gate or counter. About 10 minutes later someone find a form to fill out. That station needs to spend more time cross training staff.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:29 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Some probably believe the nonsense that they work for the best airline in North America and have a superior attitude.
Some are probably just underpaid and overworked, or having a bad day
Some are probably trained that way, or not trained at all.

There are good people that work for AC. But its more of an individual rather than a culture at the company.
Perhaps. But a culture that does not reward good customer relations and does not correct bad probably exacerbates things.
Twickenham likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.