Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I assume you're referring to the OP, and not the latest incident.

I'd respond to you, but I've already answered all your questions upthread.

And none of your questions are remotely relevant. I asked for a BP, and the agent was stupid and refused.
Well, I think needing a printed boarding pass in 2016 is stupid. So, there!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by kwflyer
What if ac punished workers for not admitting fault? And have to give 5% discount codes (stackable) every time
They were wrong and refused to back down?
The problem is top-down. Punishment will not be in the form of discounts, and a system exists for this already: Court.

I hate execs that hide behind their employees.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:30 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
The problem is top-down. Punishment will not be in the form of discounts, and a system exists for this already: Court.

I hate execs that hide behind their employees.
To be fair (my goodness I have defended AE and AC in the same week! ), oftentimes the higher ups have no idea of the problems because middle management is terrified of sending bad news upstairs. I saw this a lot when I was a consultant and did not have to play politics when presenting my deliverables. Most senior execs were grateful when problem areas were identified and action was usually swift.

But senior management probably instills that terror climate in companies that suffer from this syndrome!

I do not know enough about the internals of AC to see if this is what is at play here. But my (extensive) gut sure is leaning in one direction!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
To be fair (my goodness I have defended AE and AC in the same week! ), oftentimes the higher ups have no idea of the problems because middle management is terrified of sending bad news upstairs. I saw this a lot when I was a consultant and did not have to play politics when presenting my deliverables. Most senior execs were grateful when problem areas were identified and action was usually swift.
You would think this forum would be enough for upper management to get some idea of what the middle ground is trying to filter though?

So instead it still may be that the culture at the top remains the one that that give birth to the "bottom feeder" view of their customers?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by YVR72
Well, I think needing a printed boarding pass in 2016 is stupid. So, there!
Am I the only luddite on the forum who prefers paper boarding passes? LOL

1. What if your smartphone dies?

2. What if you're too lazy to pull our your smartphone, unlock it, and find the electronic bp?

3. What if your flight doesn't show up and the form for claiming missing miles doesn't work? At least you have a paper copy to mail in to a black hole right?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by maradori

2. What if you're too lazy to pull our your smartphone, unlock it, and find the electronic bp?

3. What if your flight doesn't show up and the form for claiming missing miles doesn't work? At least you have a paper copy to mail in to a black hole right?
I agree with you. I never use my smartphone for boarding passes because I don't want someone to handle it after handling 1000 other smartphones with their dirty nitrile gloves. Also, and I believe it has been discussed in this forum, what happens if the GA or CATSA agent drops your phone? Who is responsible?

Therefore I always do OLCI and either print the boarding passes at home or at the airport if I am checking luggage.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jasdou
I agree with you. I never use my smartphone for boarding passes because I don't want someone to handle it after handling 1000 other smartphones with their dirty nitrile gloves. Also, and I believe it has been discussed in this forum, what happens if the GA or CATSA agent drops your phone? Who is responsible?

Therefore I always do OLCI and either print the boarding passes at home or at the airport if I am checking luggage.
+1
I am also a paper boarding pass kind of guy. One less thing to fumble with as it is so easy to show a passport and BP together. Using a smartphone requires at least three hands.
--
13F
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by maradori

Checked in today at LHR - had BP on smartphone. Showed it to agent. Agent printed out BP and failed to tell me they had changed my seat away from a preferred seat due to aircraft change. Lucky I noticed it on the printed BP Eventually got another Pref set (row 50 on a 777W - yetch) and new paper BP. But now my smartphone BP shows my original seat and a departure gate that is actually the ARRIVAL gate at YYZ. Until AC IT gets its act together (likely some time around when Hades freezes over) a paper BP will definitely be needed!!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
+1
I am also a paper boarding pass kind of guy. One less thing to fumble with as it is so easy to show a passport and BP together. Using a smartphone requires at least three hands.
--
13F
+1; last week boarding was held up by someone fumbling thru all their stuff trying to find their device. Just another thing to have to keep track of.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
My accounting weasels require paper boarding passes. (The self evident fact that I am physically back in the office cannot prove that I flew the return segment.)
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
+1 for paper BPs. Always.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyquiet
My accounting weasels require paper boarding passes. (The self evident fact that I am physically back in the office cannot prove that I flew the return segment.)
Same here.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Originally Posted by Stranger
Same here.
Here, too. However I find it easier to just print the check-in confirmation email rather than haul a piece of paper around the world. The confirmation email contains all the same information as the boarding pass, so it serves the accounting folk just fine.

As for everyone having trouble fumbling with their smartphones, I have to say that's never been a problem with Apple Wallet (or Passbook, as it used to be called). The relevant boarding pass is always available on the lock screen and can be accessed without having to enter a passcode. So in the rare case where my phone locks itself as I'm handing it over to an agent, the agent simply needs to swipe on the lock screen to pull up the boarding pass.

If I'm honest, the legit complains about using mobile boarding passes are limited to (1) the agent dropping the phone and (2) the fact that the agent, much like a border agent, touches a million dirty things in a day and just passed along a ton of germs onto a device you touch all day.

That being said, the convenience outweighs those issues IMO. It also helps that I'm the furthest thing from a germaphobe
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
As for everyone having trouble fumbling with their smartphones, I have to say that's never been a problem with Apple Wallet (or Passbook, as it used to be called). The relevant boarding pass is always available on the lock screen and can be accessed without having to enter a passcode. So in the rare case where my phone locks itself as I'm handing it over to an agent, the agent simply needs to swipe on the lock screen to pull up the boarding pass.
I'm not joking when I say my average trip is delayed TWICE by people "fumbling with their smartphones".

Just because YOU know what you're doing, doesn't mean everyone does.

Heck, I had an issue recently because the Delta app kept crashing.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not joking when I say my average trip is delayed TWICE by people "fumbling with their smartphones".

Just because YOU know what you're doing, doesn't mean everyone does.

Heck, I had an issue recently because the Delta app kept crashing.
Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't happen! I've seen it, too. It's just really simple with Apple Wallet because the whole process appears to be designed to minimize fumbling.

On the flip side, I've seen far more people hold up the line as they fumble to fetch their ID than those who fumble with smartphones. But I also travel way less than most on this board, so I could just be lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.