Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Also makes it fun when they have a doc check prior to calling boarding. Most of the time you get a paper BP anyway, even if you have a mobile one.

Beats having them stamp your phone I guess.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad
An agent at the airport printed my boarding pass for tomorrow (and not a post-midnight redeye)... and nobody said I was wrong!
Doesn't the system allow airports agents to print BPs at T-12h (without any overriding / "special handling") regardless of the date of your flight?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Doesn't the system allow airports agents to print BPs at T-12h (without any overriding / "special handling") regardless of the date of your flight?
You are correct, my friend!

But this was beyond 12 hours... more like T-19 hours!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold

I'm sure the policy allowing BPs to be printed well in advance is neither new nor infrequently used. I've managed to have them printed at the airport a day in advance with no hassles. Most of the system glitches and encounters with confused staff tend to befall an inordinately small number of travellers, I find.

Originally Posted by smallmj
Also, there's no way to have BP's for the whole family on 1 phone is there. That makes paper the only way.
Sorry for replying months later. It's easy to 'add to wallet' your electronic boarding passes and simply scroll through successive BPs at the gate. You need not be on the same PNR at all. My better half and I often travel together and scan one phone, swipe and re-scan, with an "I'm with her" nod to the agent.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Meanwhile, in FRA, I was able to print a BP for an LH flight at T-36h from a check-in kiosk.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by jasdou
Meanwhile, in FRA, I was able to print a BP for an LH flight at T-36h from a check-in kiosk.
Meanwhile, in EWR the AC agent was unable to print my LH BP from FRA in ~14h because the flight "hadn't yet opened".

Fair to say, YMMV?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
Meanwhile, in EWR the AC agent was unable to print my LH BP from FRA in ~14h because the flight "hadn't yet opened".

Fair to say, YMMV?
I believe jasdou's data point was LH systems printing out LH BPs.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K

Fair to say, YMMV?
Probably was not true - but they work at the airport - so they know - and you could not possibly know.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Quite possibly true. But this is an AC forum so I thought I'd add my two cents. LH's IT is of course far superior to AC.

As zrh2yvr has pointed out though I am clearly in the wrong because I don't work at the airport so know nothing.

I wonder if airport employees have all this information added into their brains on day 1 in some matrix style plug-in process.
What happens when they leave, is the information removed?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: AC S100K

Fair to say, YMMV?
A couple of weeks ago, on my way home through YVR, I asked to check-in for the following morning's flight at T-13 hours.

The reply was, "The flight's not open for check-in yet, can you wait a moment while I get someone to open it?" She disappeared for a moment to the concierge office and emerged with my boarding pass.

From this I conclude that, yes, YMMV, but if an agent asserts that they can't do it before T-12, they're probably telling the truth.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
A couple of weeks ago, on my way home through YVR, I asked to check-in for the following morning's flight at T-13 hours.

The reply was, "The flight's not open for check-in yet, can you wait a moment while I get someone to open it?" She disappeared for a moment to the concierge office and emerged with my boarding pass.

From this I conclude that, yes, YMMV, but if an agent asserts that they can't do it before T-12, they're probably telling the truth.
Ah, but there's a difference between CHECKING IN and PRINTING A BOARDING PASS.

It is exceptionally rare for me to be able to get the first segment on a PNR checked in before T-12 by an agent. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever been able to do it.

But if I've checked in through some other means, I've never had them fail to print a boarding pass at any time of day, once they actually try.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: Irrelevant

I've had BP's printed at T-23 for return flights when I used to do my YYZ-YVR-YYZ 24 hours of breakfast runs.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh my gee golly jolly cheese whiz!

A friend of a friend of a friend got their BP printed for a flight T-20 hours for the following day!

When will this insanity end?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold

When will this insanity end?
It won't. As long as some people complain about not being able to receive what others can. As long as humans offer different opinions on whether or not something arcane can be achieved. As long as there's room for interpretation on rules and policies that in the grand scheme of things - matter not one whit.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE
I believe jasdou's data point was LH systems printing out LH BPs.
Precisely. And I will take advantage of this again tonight when I get back to FRA and print my BP for tomorrow's LH470. I will also try to get a paper BP for my connecting AC flight YYZ-YQB from the LH check-in kiosk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.