Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Okay so I take back all my snark about changing the thread title.

I'm hesitant to post a photo of the PIL that someone ELSE sent me (yeah, it wasn't me snapping photos up there Mr. CorpSec).

My companion (UA*GS) and I were flying J YVR-HKG. We were, unfortunately, stuck in 7DG on the 28J 77W. Stupidly, I put myself in D, and my companion in G.

Our typical strategy for this (on AC and UA) is to hold hands during meal orders. It tends to work.

However, this time, he was asked before me. I was "surprised", but I figured it was because we were obviously flying together, and more convenient for the FA.

Later, someone sent me a copy of the PIL in the galley (yeah, apparently multiple people fly to HKG during the turmoil). Every single UA*G was circled, overwritten with "SE". AC*SM, AC*SE, and AC*EM were circled. AC*E (Elite 50K), AC*P (Prestige 25K), and AC*PL (no idea) were left untouched.

When second meals came around and we were asked WAY ahead of serving, I inquired with the SD, with something along the lines of "I wasn't expecting my companion to get meal priority, but it's awesome. Is this just because he's with me?"

Oh no. Not that.

"He's United Star Gold. That's the same as our Super Elites."
"Uhhh... It's like our Elites, not our Super Elites."
"No, it's like our Super Elites, and we respect our alliance partners."
"Okay thank you."

So there you have it. United Premier Gold is officially the same as Air Canada Super Elite.

This is also a flight where no-status revenue pax were greeted with "...are you familiar with the ... oh of course you know how to use it", whereas I was told how to operate the IFE by the same SD. So... I don't know. I give up with these people. I can't handle them.
Plumber likes this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Dec 1, 2019 at 9:48 am Reason: Most crew are competent
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:35 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I suspect YMMV with this one but interesting that the SD was so overt about the mapping. Somebody must have told them something even if it was totally wrong. Really odd.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I suspect YMMV with this one but interesting that the SD was so overt about the mapping. Somebody must have told them something even if it was totally wrong. Really odd.
I also suspect there still remains some confusion about SM. Apparently I am regularly asked for meal orders after a bunch of other folks. Sometimes after my wife who is 50K.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My companion (UA*GS) and I were flying J YVR-HKG. We were, unfortunately, stuck in 7DG on the 28J 77W. Stupidly, I put myself in D, and my companion in G.

Our typical strategy for this (on AC and UA) is to hold hands during meal orders. It tends to work.
I'm curious if your companion was actually someone you're in a romantic relationship with or if holding hands was purely theatre.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Not surprised to hear this.

This is probably one of the most inconsistent mishandlings of SOP.

As a DM I have noticed getting asked before or with SEs, or sometimes dead last even when sitting in row 1.
I am talking mainline long haul widebody aka Signature Service. But this sort of randomness predates Signature Service.

I forgot if I posted this before, but I remember on a YYZLHR flight in J, my non-status companion was asked for her meal in the first bunch, and I was asked dead last and they ran out of my choice. The FA claimed that she didn't now what "AC*SM" stood for.

hey, it's nice that I get asked nearly first as a DM amongst the SEs and SMs, but frickaroni, I'd rather the SOP is followed. How difficult can this be?
Plumber and canadiancow like this.

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 1, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I know they're not required to take orders in priority below SE, but it is nice when they do. However, I noticed the FA going bumblebee-like around the cabin taking orders starting with a couple black tags (including the stranger in 1C next to me) but then some E50K, based on tags and BPs I'd surveilled. They did not return to me E75K until they did the row-by-row polling starting at 4A and working forward.
My hypothesis is that E75K doesn't show on that "list" for me because "deaf" does. That would also explain why they often give me a safety briefing like I've never been in an airplane and might also be soft in the head. I have never done the galley reconnaissance to look at that list to find out.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 6:12 pm
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Originally Posted by skybluesea
I’m also sure AC staff routinely must deal with passengers who boldly state “I Know More Than You Do” (IKMTYD) - when the opposite is true.
OTOH, I'm occasionally surprised by an FA or SD who spontaneously defers to my experience. "Welcome on board, Mr Creature. I'm sure that you know the cabin even better than we do."
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by skybluesea
It’s interesting to read here how FTers readily offer to be unpaid staff trainers. It is one thing to demand the service that is paid for, it is completely another to engage management/supervision to encourage a future change in staff behavior.

And while we have all experienced dumb stuff, on occasion AC staff may just be right, and for the traveler to attempt to change or advocate for change, maybe its plain dumb on the other side.

My biggest learning of late is how much I really don’t know when dealing with AC. I’m also sure AC staff routinely must deal with passengers who boldly state “I Know More Than You Do” (IKMTYD) - when the opposite is true.
Definitely, none of us here know everything about AC (not even their own employees), but some of us know more about certain things more than some AC employees. I believe that is the spirit of this thread.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 6:05 pm
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
I also suspect there still remains some confusion about SM. Apparently I am regularly asked for meal orders after a bunch of other folks. Sometimes after my wife who is 50K.
Their new guide explicitly lists XM, X, SM, SE as meal priority. So there's no excuse.

Originally Posted by CP@YOW
I'm curious if your companion was actually someone you're in a romantic relationship with or if holding hands was purely theatre.
That's not relevant.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Not surprised to hear this.

This is probably one of the most inconsistent mishandlings of SOP.

As a DM I have noticed getting asked before or with SEs, or sometimes dead last even when sitting in row 1.
I am talking mainline long haul widebody aka Signature Service. But this sort of randomness predates Signature Service.

I forgot if I posted this before, but I remember on a YYZLHR flight in J, my non-status companion was asked for her meal in the first bunch, and I was asked dead last and they ran out of my choice. The FA claimed that she didn't now what "AC*SM" stood for.

hey, it's nice that I get asked nearly first as a DM amongst the SEs and SMs, but frickaroni, I'd rather the SOP is followed. How difficult can this be?
I think the new guide is newer than your loss of SM, so hopefully it's better now.
ffsim likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Their new guide explicitly lists XM, X, SM, SE as meal priority. So there's no excuse.
Is it worded implying that specific sequence, or just these four groups are similar priority?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:26 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Stranger
Is it worded implying that specific sequence, or just these four groups are similar priority?
The relevant content from the doc shared by canadiancow at some point:

ffsim and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
XM = VIP MM
X = VIP
SM = SE MM
SE = SuperElite

Is that correct?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Refreshing: did OLCI (by website) and arrived to get paper boarding pass at YYZ Priority desk. (Look at me, going carryon and all, like the fancy people.) Agent located my record and pointed out it shows "EUPG" and he wanted to know when I did it. I explained it was upgraded at time of booking, inside my window, but post-Amadeus, and he was quite impressed by that. He was aware that upgrading was problematic. I said, well, don't be too impressed because I can't see this flight on the app and am mightily relieved he sees it on the terminal!
I am glad to see they're also aware and willing to communicate with passengers and not being all know-it-all-y.
Plumber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.