Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Great. So can we all agree that the AC agent was wrong and move on from this science discussion?
Presuming an AC agent is wrong is always a good starting point, the science is interesting and a learning moment! You can be sure an AC agent has no idea what entropy is...
ffsim and don_drapper like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:18 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Jagboi
You can be sure an AC agent has no idea what entropy is...
Or empathy, for that matter.

At least sometimes.
Stranger and don_drapper like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: air miles
If the airline agent was actually a visitor from another dimension, than it's quite possible that the plane could make it.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
YVR TB 100K check-in lane just now:

Agent: "What flight are you on?"
Me: "558 to LAX but I'm on standby for 556 at 4:30"
Agent: "We don't let people standby for US flights"
Me: "Weird, the concierge put me on the list no problem"
Agent: hands me standby boarding pass for 556 and confirmed boarding pass for 558 "have a good flight"
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
YVR TB 100K check-in lane just now:

Agent: "What flight are you on?"
Me: "558 to LAX but I'm on standby for 556 at 4:30"
Agent: "We don't let people standby for US flights"
Me: "Weird, the concierge put me on the list no problem"
Agent: hands me standby boarding pass for 556 and confirmed boarding pass for 558 "have a good flight"
I had that at YVR too, but I wanted to stand by for a flight the previous day, and one in the party had a checked bag, and there was a very low chance of us clearing the flight, so I let it slide.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by SYM
Not quite an IWATAAYW, but close enough, and too good not to share (and I don’t want to start a new thread)

GA scans my bp, which has 12C written on it, and I notice that 13D pops up. I tell him concierge told me 12C, where should I sit? He replies (direct quote): You are in 13D. 12C is a crew seat . I couldn’t assign it even if I wanted to

12C is a crew seat. On an E175. Who knew?
12C/27A/27C are crew seats on the E175 but will be given to customers when all other seats are occupied. It can't be assigned in advance nor if there are other seats available on the seat map.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:29 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Um, no. 12C is a preferred seat that I’ve booked, oh let me see, 2 X week X 40 weeks/year X 10 years = 800 - (for argument’s sake 50% of the time when its an E190) = 400 - (for argument’s sake 50% of the time when someone else has it first) = 200 times give or take
arf04 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SYM
Um, no. 12C is a preferred seat that I’ve booked, oh let me see, 2 X week X 40 weeks/year X 10 years = 800 - (for argument’s sake 50% of the time when its an E190) = 400 - (for argument’s sake 50% of the time when someone else has it first) = 200 times give or take
So you're saying that GS4ACUSA works at the airport?
SYM likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC E35K
Originally Posted by SYM
Out of curiosity, do you have to pay for it? I selected 12C on both legs of a recent round trip, because I noticed that it had no fee attached to it unlike the rest of the Preferred seats, but on check-in I had to pick another seat as 12C was now showing as "occupied". I asked at the check-in counter and was told something about it being a "crew seat" too.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:46 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
No, but SEMM status might have something to do with it - preferred seats are free in the first place. Or something has changed recently - all my tickets since my post were booked long ago, and I haven't been booted out of 12C (except a couple of times to be op-upped, but that hardly counts). I have a couple more in the weeks ahead. But I'll report back the next time I book a new ticket.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by TommyAtkins
Out of curiosity, do you have to pay for it? I selected 12C on both legs of a recent round trip, because I noticed that it had no fee attached to it unlike the rest of the Preferred seats, but on check-in I had to pick another seat as 12C was now showing as "occupied". I asked at the check-in counter and was told something about it being a "crew seat" too.
Nothing to do with the thread but love the historically significant user name.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Oh yeah, I had an agent at the Toronto business check in tell me AC doesn't fly to YXX. I countered her with AC 1695 . She sheepishly admitted she never checked anyone going there before. Geez.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

"If you assign a nominee now, you won't be able to change it until March 1 2021, because you just got SE 2 months ago, after the early recognition cutoff."
"I've been SE for 7 years."
"My system says you were 50K before."
"Last time I was 50K was in 2013."

She only seemed to believe me because she could see a record of previous nominees, which a non-SE obviously wouldn't have.

Also for the record I had met all the SE qualification requirements in July-ish, so it's not even like I just hit them in December.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
"If you assign a nominee now, you won't be able to change it until March 1 2021, because you just got SE 2 months ago, after the early recognition cutoff."
"I've been SE for 7 years."
"My system says you were 50K before."
"Last time I was 50K was in 2013."

She only seemed to believe me because she could see a record of previous nominees, which a non-SE obviously wouldn't have.

Also for the record I had met all the SE qualification requirements in July-ish, so it's not even like I just hit them in December.
What sparked this discussion, did you have some issues naming a nominee?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I was trying up upgrade an 11 year old on half his PNR with my points, and the other half with his.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.