Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Pretty sure (aka almost bet the farm, but not a lawyer) that Canada does not have a federal statute governing minimum legal drinking age, and it is purely provincial jurisdiction. I would bet the farm it ain't 23.
Maybe you should have threatened them not to impinge on your 21st Amendment rights and see their reaction. The freedom convoy would at least support you.
Edit: For anyone more legal savvy, what governs if you are of age in the air in Canada? Origin, destination or highest of both or do they just default to 19?

Last edited by FlY2XS; May 20, 2022 at 9:33 pm
Old May 21, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Wikipedia states that "In Canada, there is no federally defined age for legal alcohol purchase or consumption", and I have never heard of one in any context.

I found an article discussing this issue which claims that "although their official policy, which they shared with Traveler, states that “cabin crew must not sell or give alcohol to anyone under 18 years of age,” the airline does offer a small exception on international flights, where passengers under 18 can enjoy a drink if “provided consent” by a parent or guardian directly accompanying them."

From Air Canada itself:
  • For the safety of our younger guests, each lounge strictly adheres to local laws and regulations regarding the serving of alcoholic beverages. Minors must be accompanied by an adult lounge guest.
Seems like the lounge staff in question made up their own rules and law for some unfathomable reason.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by swonder
A few weeks ago I flew DCA to YYZ in business class. My scheduled flight was cancelled due to weather and I was rebooked onto a flight the next morning (different flight #). The aircraft that was originally scheduled to fly out the previous day remained on the ground overnight and operated the newly scheduled flight instead.

Knowing this, but not knowing whether YYZ-DCA is typically double-catered, I asked the check-in agent in the morning whether breakfast would be served in business class. I was assured that it would be.

Later I asked the gate agent the same question, just to double check. Same answer. I therefore didn't buy breakfast at the airport.

There was no breakfast.
​​​​​
On the one hand, you can probably write in for a discount code that will save you a few hundred bucks down the line.

On the other hand, you can't eat a discount code.
douglasr and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Pretty sure (aka almost bet the farm, but not a lawyer) that Canada does not have a federal statute governing minimum legal drinking age, and it is purely provincial jurisdiction. I would bet the farm it ain't 23..
Currently, the MLDA is 18 years of age in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec, and 19 years in the rest of the Canadian provinces and territories.

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Maybe you should have threatened them not to impinge on your 21st Amendment rights
Unless the U.S. has recently annexed Canada, that won't hold water. And even in the U.S., it's irrelevant with respect to MLDA.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
What a gd joke

Ok, an AC employee/contract employee is now saying drinking age is 23 in Canada? Can't make these stories up.
RangerNS likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok, an AC employee/contract employee is now saying drinking age is 23 in Canada? Can't make these stories up.
You'd think if you were gonna make something up, you'd at least try to make it a bit more believable? What on Earth was that person thinking?
Old May 24, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
You'd think if you were gonna make something up, you'd at least try to make it a bit more believable? What on Earth was that person thinking?
​​​​​​That they work at the airport, and thus, by definition, are not wrong.
eigenvector and p106_peppy like this.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
On the one hand, you can probably write in for a discount code that will save you a few hundred bucks down the line.

On the other hand, you can't eat a discount code.
I did write in, and I received a grand total of 2,000 Aeroplan points and no discount code.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Flying from EWR --> YVR on Saturday, I'm 75k and was flying in J

My suitcase weighed 56lbs and I was told my suitcase was overweight...I mentioned I was flying J (I was in the Priority line) and I had 75k status which gave me 70lbs. She said no...then a minute later just put an overweight sticker on my bag and carried on...at least she realized she was wrong at some point
RoninTech and asovse1 like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
May 22
YYZ-DEL-BKK

On check in she insisted I needed a visa to transit DEL. I knew I did not. I insisted, she insisted. Until she read otherwise on her screen.

Ron.
ThePopes likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newfbc
May 22
YYZ-DEL-BKK

On check in she insisted I needed a visa to transit DEL. I knew I did not. I insisted, she insisted. Until she read otherwise on her screen.

Ron.
At least she checked properly.

I once had a similar scenario where somehow the agent checked and either did it wrong or misread. Until fortunately the next agent, who had heard the conversation, stepped in and showed the first one the correct answer.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Aeroplan today:

"You can't add an Etihad segment (Y or J) to a priority award... Well you can, but it is a waste: priority awards only discount Air Canada flights... no other airlines."
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC Plebeian Super Elite
The eyeroll thread

After a lengthy wait at priority check in, I was able to SDC onto an earlier flight on a business class flex booking. I was surprised at being successful, but I don't think I will ever forget how that conversation went:

1) I'd like to SDC onto either this flight with J3, E2, or this later flight which I know I can get on. J8, Y6, etc.
2) Sir: I might be able to make this first flight work but I can only probably get you on in economy class
3) Me: Well, J3, so I should be good on a flexible business class booking
4) Sir: Any checked bags?
5) No
6) Sir, here's your boarding pass, now run. Think you can get there in time?
7) Yes, I've done this more times than I want to remember.
8) Agent: *rolleyes*

I'm thankful for the agent, but now I'm thinking through how many times AC agents have rolled their eyes at me or have been rude. For the record, I was the 2nd person in zone 1 and had to wait 30 minutes because of a slight delay.

All of this to state, I'm not an AC lover, nor an AC hater, but **** like this just gets on my nerve. I also find it pretty annoying she tried to pull a fast one with me with rebooking me in Y. Once she knew I knew things, she let me have what I was (probably given Y load) entitled to. (SDC in J)

Any roll eye moments that others want to share? The flight was fine, food was decent and I got to enjoy my parsley omelet. I just don't get why AC agents have this attitude that the rest of us just have to put up with to get where we need to go.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kubees
Any roll eye moments that others want to share?
Yes, hundreds of them, which is why I've merged your thread here.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by kubees
After a lengthy wait at priority check in, I was able to SDC onto an earlier flight on a business class flex booking. I was surprised at being successful, but I don't think I will ever forget how that conversation went:
I noticed you're SE (?)... sometimes I just go to the concierge for this because it's faster and I get zero attitude (ok, maybe 0.00001% attitude from a bad egg).
hughjorgan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.