Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
My PNR next week has wide open R space but only 3 of 6 segments confirmed. Similar system glitch was mentioned when me and a few FTers recently had drinks.

Their reply is a doozie:

Thank you for contacting the Air Canada Concierge desk concerning your recent Eupgrade request in booking XXXYYY

I see the original ticket was book in Premium Economy Lowest. In order to be eligible for the immediate upgradable promotion, the ticket must be booked in a Latitude or Premium Economy Flex fare. All others fares are subject to clearance window according to your status: 14days prior to departure and can go up all the way to the departure gate on the day of travel.

Within 48h of the departure of your flights, if "R" class / upgradable class of service is still available, we are allowed to contact directly our department and request to have it confirmed. I will recommend you to contact us again, on the 24thof April, if it's not been confirmed on your reservation.

Thank you for your continuous loyalty

Warmest regards
​​​​​

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 19, 2022 at 11:04 am
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
My PNR next week has wide open R space but only 3 of 6 segments confirmed. Similar system glitch was mentioned when me and a few FTers recently had drinks.

Paid PY. Emailed concierge a polite request. Emailing respects their and more importantly *MY" time.

Their reply is a doozie:

Thank you for contacting the Air Canada Concierge desk concerning your recent Eupgrade request in booking XXXYYY

I see the original ticket was book in Premium Economy Lowest. In order to be eligible for the immediate upgradable promotion, the ticket must be booked in a Latitude or Premium Economy Flex fare. All others fares are subject to clearance window according to your status: 14days prior to departure and can go up all the way to the departure gate on the day of travel.

Within 48h of the departure of your flights, if "R" class / upgradable class of service is still available, we are allowed to contact directly our department and request to have it confirmed. I will recommend you to contact us again, on the 24thof April, if it's not been confirmed on your reservation.

Thank you for your continuous loyalty

Warmest regards
​​​​​
Wait... your flight is in 8 days. The upgrade clearance window for international is 7...

The first uncleared one will clear in 2.5 hours.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wait... your flight is in 8 days. The upgrade clearance window for international is 7...
oh ":";$;

that explains 2 of the legs

I am a fotsg...
yyznomad and canopus27 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
oh ":";$;

that explains 2 of the legs

I am a fotsg...
Your other 4 are all in J already. System working as expected
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Your other 4 are all in J already. System working as expected
You would make a great concierge. I needed someone to tell me don't worry you aren't 7 days out. Concierge email and reservation agent who removed and requested saying they were baffled both seemed to indicate they overlooked that part.

Quoting latitude flight pass (call within 48 hrs) still seems marginally worthy of the thread post.
​​​​​

​​​
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Eh, she said if R was still available, which is not the Y FP rule. I think she was getting at something else that I don't want to discuss on FT

But I am shocked at how bad the email was. First, "you're not within your 7 day clearance window for international flights" would have ended the conversation. But second, "starting at 14 days", but not mentioning that it varies based on market, is really confusing. Especially since concierges only deal with SEs, so they don't even need to know the whole chart - just one column (or row? I can't recall which axis is status).

And if the "stuck in HN" issue and "HL but R is open and it won't clear" issue weren't so prevalent, everyone's first guess would have been "window", not "broken system".
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I was told (again) by another SD that, before covid-times, AC never provided kits out on NA SS daytime flights.
Perhaps they were referring to "international kits", but they never clarified that.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Not at the airport, but with the call center...

So I have a 3 segment trip on a latitude flight pass (within North America). The complimentary upgrade failed, so I call reservations.

Agent: "Sorry there's only space available for the complimentary upgrade on the 3rd segment."

Me: "But the flight is J7, what do you mean there's no space?"

this goes back and forth for awhile.

Me "Fine, complimentary upgrade the 3rd segment, I'll complain at the airport."

Agent: "While we were talking there's now no space on the 3rd segment either. So there is no space available for the complimentary upgrade on this booking."

Me: "Ok, thanks. *presses end button*"

Then I check again, and both segments with a J cabin have positive J space (J7 and J2), both on EF and available to purchase via the AC app... Now I have to waste some concierge time.

Last edited by Nitehawk; Apr 22, 2022 at 2:52 pm
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

HUCA. Airport cannot help with that.

Have you tried both the app and website? Sometimes one works when the other doesn't.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Tried both the FP app and the website. Now I emailed the central concierge office, we'll see what they say. Hopefully my J2 doesn't vanish before they sort it out. Anyway the agent was trying to tell me that complimentary upgrade space is not equal to J space, that it comes from another magical bucket.

EDIT: Just got an new ticket PDF showing J on both segments. Thanks concierge! Not sure what would happen if I wasn't SE, just trying to use a product that is supposed to work electronically.
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.

Last edited by Nitehawk; Apr 22, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 22, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Tried both the FP app and the website. Now I emailed the central concierge office, we'll see what they say. Hopefully my J2 doesn't vanish before they sort it out. Anyway the agent was trying to tell me that complimentary upgrade space is not equal to J space, that it comes from another magical bucket.

EDIT: Just got an new ticket PDF showing J on both segments. Thanks concierge! Not sure what would happen if I wasn't SE, just trying to use a product that is supposed to work electronically.
SMH. Just pathetic. (the part before the added edit)
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Here's a good one. Some of you may remember a fun story from the YUL Dom MLL a few months ago, involving a rather grouchy lounge agent.

Well, he was back at the desk tonight, and I wondered whether this might lead to anything interesting. He was only slightly annoyed at me for asking for a new BP after my eUp cleared.

My flight to YYC, originally scheduled for 18:50, posted a delay to 19:15 many hours before departure. As we got closer to departure time, given the inbound arrived (late) at 18:23 on a TB flight, this was a rather suspect estimate, even though 220s can turn pretty quickly.

At 18:54, the MLL screen didn't show boarding, and there had been no text/e-mail notification. In this situation, I go to the front desk and ask the agents to check whether boarding has started. Despite knowing Mr. "Not Running A Restaurant" is not the friendliest guy, I figured I'd rather not get stuck at the gate for 30 minutes. The following conversation ensued (I think this is pretty close to verbatim):

Adam: Can you please tell me whether the Calgary flight has started boarding yet?
NRAR: [immediately hostile] What time is it supposed to leave?
Adam: 7:15 [PM]
NRAR: You've missed it! Why are you in the lounge?!?
Adam: The gate doesn't close until 15 minutes before departure, and I think it might be further delayed
NRAR: You only have 4 minutes to get to the gate, they're going to take you off the flight
Adam: If they've started boarding, I can go now and make it on time. But do you know whether they've started boarding?
NRAR: [looking at his watch] Yes, since a long time ago!
Adam: I know they should have, but the inbound was late, could you please check whether they've actually started boarding?
NRAR: They definitely have! [finally looking it up] Oh, wait, they haven't boarded anyone... Last passenger off the inbound at 18:40... Why haven't they added a delay?

Anyway, after that, he was much friendlier and apologetic for his earlier aggression. Claimed it was because he had two passengers miss flights yesterday for dawdling in the lounge. And he did eventually make an announcement that they had started boarding.

But just classic with this guy.

Final result: flight departed at 19:32. I left the lounge when he made the announcement and got to the gate before they did final boarding call.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
AC 495 needed a plane swap causing a bunch of people to misconnect. Got rebooked by an agent and she was convinced she had reapplied my eUp correctly because it said J.

Had to pull out a seat map for a 7M8 and show her that row 12 clearly wasn't J no matter what the BP said.

yyznomad likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
AC 495 needed a plane swap causing a bunch of people to misconnect. Got rebooked by an agent and she was convinced she had reapplied my eUp correctly because it said J.

Had to pull out a seat map for a 7M8 and show her that row 12 clearly wasn't J no matter what the BP said.
Weird... so did you get a J seat in the end?
Zone 1 non-SE in Y. Interesting. Or maybe not.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Weird... so did you get a J seat in the end?
Zone 1 non-SE in Y. Interesting. Or maybe not.
Yes, she got me 3A after some more effort.
yyznomad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.