Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
AC staff at YQM told me that airlines cannot keep luggage for more than 8 hours as I was trying to get my bag thru checked at YQM to BKK. It was separate tickets and in the past they have done so I think she did not know how to do it.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Stranger
But surely there is something wrong with the system if the scanning does not identify a business class BP as allowing access...
I’m sure it’s an issue with the SAS bar code missing a piece of information that the AC scanner needs.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 172pilot
I’m sure it’s an issue with the SAS bar code missing a piece of information that the AC scanner needs.
OAL BPs probably only has *S/*G encoded, whereas AC BPs have the whole gamut of XTR, XT, XMR, XM, XR, X, STR, ST, SMR, SM, SER, SE, DTR, DT, DMR, DM, DR, EMR, EM, ER, E, FR, F, PR, P, AR, A.

In the former case, *G gets you in, *S does not. In the latter, anything with X, S, D, E, and R get you in.

One of the many reasons I always try to get a native BP. The other is that I've had a UA BP for an AC flight that said I was UA*S. When I reprinted from AC, it said I was SMR. So it didn't even have the right program's number on it, never mind my actual status.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 172pilot
SK is one of the few carriers that print one BP that’s valid on up to 3 flights. I would assume the cafe scanners are not sophisticated enough to read beyond flight #1
Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by D582
SK is one of the few carriers that print one BP that’s valid on up to 3 flights. I would assume the cafe scanners are not sophisticated enough to read beyond flight #1
I assumed it had to do with this. A relatively minor issue compounded by the lounge agent not being in a position to recognize what the fix was, which was quite simple in the end. My main, and minor, frustration was that the agent was fixated on the scanner and the fact that we are both *Silver and seemingly could not comprehend that the BP showing a J booking (the BP had “J” printed on it) would be sufficient for entry. All in all, not a big deal, but I figured it was worth reporting on a thread dedicated to such discussions.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arf04
I assumed it had to do with this. A relatively minor issue compounded by the lounge agent not being in a position to recognize what the fix was, which was quite simple in the end. My main, and minor, frustration was that the agent was fixated on the scanner and the fact that we are both *Silver and seemingly could not comprehend that the BP showing a J booking (the BP had “J” printed on it) would be sufficient for entry. All in all, not a big deal, but I figured it was worth reporting on a thread dedicated to such discussions.
Also compounded by the fact that the Cafe (allegedly, told to me by the agent sitting there, so maybe apropos for this thread) does not have a BP printer.

In many lounges, operated by many airlines, across the world, if my OAL BP does not "permit access", the first thing they do is pull up my PNR, print a native BP, and try that one. And I think it's worked every time.

The Cafe (allegedly) can't do that.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Also compounded by the fact that the Cafe (allegedly, told to me by the agent sitting there, so maybe apropos for this thread) does not have a BP printer.

In many lounges, operated by many airlines, across the world, if my OAL BP does not "permit access", the first thing they do is pull up my PNR, print a native BP, and try that one. And I think it's worked every time.

The Cafe (allegedly) can't do that.
Indeed, that would not help the issue in such cases. I suspect there was a general lack of training involved in our situation because the fix was so easily achieved. Given that lounge access is one place where a regular number of people either do not know if they have access or think they have access but don’t, having someone gatekeeping who knows how to access their systems to verify eligibility is a requirement. We were definitely not getting in had the other agent not been nearby (they were actually already halfway down the exit hallway on their way out and overheard our query and came back) and that would have been a shame on principle vs the actual value of access.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 4:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
the Cafe (allegedly, told to me by the agent sitting there, so maybe apropos for this thread) does not have a BP printer.
Cafe printed BPs for me in December inside the cafe at a small service desk/podium along the wall. The cafe checkin agent pointed me that way, but cautioned me that their normal answer was "too busy"
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by expert7700
Cafe printed BPs for me in December inside the cafe at a small service desk/podium along the wall. The cafe checkin agent pointed me that way, but cautioned me that their normal answer was "too busy"
Yup, was going to say the same. The agent before the gate may or may not have a BP printer, but the desk they have inside (which may or may not be staffed, with an agent who may or may not give a **** about your problem) certainly does because I've had them print BPs for me.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The baby lounge dragon here in YOW just told a woman with a black Amex, on a Porter flight, that she could not get access because of security reasons; she went on to explain that they can't scan others BPs, and thus there would be no way to know where she was if there was some emergency.

Either she has given the speech before, or it was the best improv I've ever seen.

Maybe they make a game of it, to see who can pull off the most absurd rational. The lounge agent version of Aristocrats?
Old Jun 20, 2023, 3:37 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RangerNS
The baby lounge dragon here in YOW just told a woman with a black Amex, on a Porter flight, that she could not get access because of security reasons; she went on to explain that they can't scan others BPs, and thus there would be no way to know where she was if there was some emergency.

Either she has given the speech before, or it was the best improv I've ever seen.

Maybe they make a game of it, to see who can pull off the most absurd rational. The lounge agent version of Aristocrats?
It does bring up the question on how many ppl they see with an Amex Reserve( assuming the black card is this), try to get in with a porter BP. Perhaps they are seeing many ppl doing this.

Though ppl do need to read their T&C's, even with the co-branded CC, still need to be on an AC or *A operated flight to get in.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by kronos80
Though ppl do need to read their T&C's, even with the co-branded CC, still need to be on an AC or *A operated flight to get in.
Oh, I know that and you know that, and perhaps even the PAX (who further argued that she had previously gotten in to the lounge on a Porter flight (also the time my consideration for guesting her in vanished)) knows that. But the lounge agent doesn't seem to know that.

"You aren't allowed here" is an important part of the job; I'm sure someone from corporate can feed them a better script than individuals coming up with some tale of "security concerns".

Last edited by RangerNS; Jun 20, 2023 at 5:50 am Reason: s/gate/lounge/
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Well, that's a new one; I'm sitting at the bar in a deserted YUL Int'l, and as it's 11 AM, and I'm working, and I'm travelling alone, I'm not quite ready to start drinking yet. So, I asked the bartender for a diet coke.

...and he refused.

"No, sir, I'm sorry, the bar sodas are reserved for mixed drinks only, you'll have to go and get one from the self-service fountain over there."

Certainly not a big deal, but I'm tempted to ask for a virgin jack and coke next, and see if that unlocks it.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Well, that's a new one; I'm sitting at the bar in a deserted YUL Int'l, and as it's 11 AM, and I'm working, and I'm travelling alone, I'm not quite ready to start drinking yet. So, I asked the bartender for a diet coke.

...and he refused.

"No, sir, I'm sorry, the bar sodas are reserved for mixed drinks only, you'll have to go and get one from the self-service fountain over there."

Certainly not a big deal, but I'm tempted to ask for a virgin jack and coke next, and see if that unlocks it.
Or order a jack and coke with the Diet Coke on the side. I order my drinks like that all the time without trying to make a point because I want my own ratio. Just for fun order 2 and keep leaving the glasses full of booze.
bual, billdokes, canopus27 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary

...and he refused.

Nah, at that point you ask for a long island iced tea (unless you know a drink with more than 5 ingredients), watch him make it, and then send it back for being "too boozy", and look him dead in the eye when you leave, and toss him only a loonie so they know you know about the concept of tipping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.