Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2023, 7:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Well, that's a new one; I'm sitting at the bar in a deserted YUL Int'l, and as it's 11 AM, and I'm working, and I'm travelling alone, I'm not quite ready to start drinking yet. So, I asked the bartender for a diet coke.

...and he refused.

"No, sir, I'm sorry, the bar sodas are reserved for mixed drinks only, you'll have to go and get one from the self-service fountain over there."
Wasn't it the same thing there when we were on our way to EZE last year?
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Wasn't it the same thing there when we were on our way to EZE last year?
I don't recall, it's possible I was drunk.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

"No, sir, I'm sorry, the bar sodas are reserved for mixed drinks only, you'll have to go and get one from the self-service fountain over there."
what constitutes a mixed drink?
coke zero with a lemon? or a dash of soda water? simple syrup?

alternately: say OK, I just wasn't sure how to tip the self service fountain, while putting some cash back in your wallet

Last edited by expert7700; Oct 25, 2023 at 8:52 pm
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I don't recall, it's possible I was drunk.
So drunk the bartender cut you of softdrinks?
warrens likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
So drunk the bartender cut you of softdrinks?
Coke Zero is a hell of a drug.
canadiancow and monkai like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium / Amex Aeroplan Reserve / Aeroplan 50k
Virgin Rum & Diet, please.

Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:11 pm

YUL concierge email bot: "There is no way to fast track a passenger when they are going to the US. "

Well, not with that attitude there isn't.
billdokes likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
YUL concierge email bot: "There is no way to fast track a passenger when they are going to the US. "

One time flying something like YHZ-YUL-BOS, we had been downgauged on the first segment from a CRA to DH4, with the same departure time (so later arrival time).

There was a golf cart waiting for a few of us going to BOS. And no other pax ever showed up for it, so I sat there waiting for 5+ minutes.

I'm not convinced the golf cart saved me any time.

But... there's certainly a way to expedite a connection, even if they can't just walk you to the front of pre-clearance.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE

Isn't the whole mantra of that base "Anything is possible, as long as it does not require me to exert any physical or mental effort whatsoever, and in anyway leave you with any impression that we value your loyalty in any way, shape or form"
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:28 pm

Programs: TK *G
This is why I no longer care about airline status, or even fare class sometime. Status/cabin doesn't guarantee anything, it only means there is a chance of you getting something. SE has concierge ACCESS, there is no guarantee on the quality of service or when/if calls/emails will be responded.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
there's certainly a way to expedite a connection, even if they can't just walk you to the front of pre-clearance.
Expediting passengers with rapidly-approaching departure times is in fact CORE to the operation model for all airside connections to the US at YUL.

The whole system in that lane functions so poorly that ~90% of the time I make that connection, I clear security and get in line to speak to US CBP; let's say I'm 30th in line, but I won't get up to a CBP agent until another 20-30 people have been pulled up from the back of the line because they're about to miss their connection into the US.

YUL now staffs people specifically for this purpose, and has dedicated lanes set up to allow such passengers to be rushed to the front of the line.

In other words, I would argue there is no airport in Canada better-designed TO allow the priority expediting of any passenger the airline / airport deems suitable.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:47 pm

With a posted 31 minute delay (add your own fudge factor here) the question changes to if YUL remembers how to book rooms.
Wigg likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You can't add/change ff# at olci anymore. So off to the desk in the super exclusive black wall area, pleasantly empty tonight.

Show her my card with my number. Agent does some clicking. She didn't look so sure. It won't add Keeps printing zone 3 and VF where UA*G should be. She is confident it's done. After all she works at the airport. I tell her, no zone 2. Reluctantly calls over a more confident looking guy. He is like what's your Armenian Airways number. I finally clue in... She must have been entering VF as the airline instead as United then VFXXX
canadiancow and songsc like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You can't add/change ff# at olci anymore. So off to the desk in the super exclusive black wall area, pleasantly empty tonight.

Show her my card with my number. Agent does some clicking. She didn't look so sure. It won't add Keeps printing zone 3 and VF where UA*G should be. She is confident it's done. After all she works at the airport. I tell her, no zone 2. Reluctantly calls over a more confident looking guy. He is like what's your Armenian Airways number. I finally clue in... She must have been entering VF as the airline instead as United then VFXXX
Ugh I've had the opposite over the phone too.

I've definitely said "It's United .... Zulu Yankee One Two Three Four Five" and they type in "UZY12345".
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
for me it's usually at a checkin counter:

me: Still not listed on this new boarding pass
​​​​​​
agent: "I DID enter your AC # properly maybe you don't really have status or the card is wrong. SEE, look at my screen!"

me: I do see you picked Air Canada from the dropdown, which is good. Bur in the loyalty # field you then added the prefix AC, which is bad.

agent:
scowls as they look at and hand over the next, correct BP.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 29, 2024 at 9:32 pm Reason: Fixed formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.