Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:54 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by TommyAtkins View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have to pay for it? I selected 12C on both legs of a recent round trip, because I noticed that it had no fee attached to it unlike the rest of the Preferred seats, but on check-in I had to pick another seat as 12C was now showing as "occupied". I asked at the check-in counter and was told something about it being a "crew seat" too.

Just did my next round of bookings and can confirm 12C is available for booking and no charge for SE
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
YVR TB 100K check-in lane just now:

Agent: "What flight are you on?"
Me: "558 to LAX but I'm on standby for 556 at 4:30"
Agent: "We don't let people standby for US flights"
Me: "Weird, the concierge put me on the list no problem"
Agent: hands me standby boarding pass for 556 and confirmed boarding pass for 558 "have a good flight"
Could've just been a poor choice of words too maybe he/she should've said "we don't let customers standby for US flights", because we all know for a fact employees can and do. The only thing I've really been told with standby for intl/us flights is duty free is a bit of a sticky situation. If you get bumped and have to leave the secure area you're either supposed to have to return your duty free, or if it's handed out at the bridge, you'd have to take your receipt back to the store and get it refunded since you're not allowed to take the duty free back out.

Originally Posted by chx1975
Oh yeah, I had an agent at the Toronto business check in tell me AC doesn't fly to YXX. I countered her with AC 1695 . She sheepishly admitted she never checked anyone going there before. Geez.
Even as an employee I let this kinda stuff slide and laugh it off usually, I know not everyone is a flying nerd or an "engaged" employee. Now if she had been a jerk about it and tried to turn you away from check-in...then I'd probably give some attitude in return. But basically once they swipe your passport they'd see you're right I assume.

FWIW when I was SE, I never had any issues selecting any seat in the 12 row on the embraers.

Also, I love the title of this thread, I know I've read the first post so I must've just forgotten it was here. It is easy to see how some employees would get a little arrogant, you can imagine how many times a day someone asks them to do something stupid or whatever and they have to repeatedly say no. I can also see how they wouldn't take too kindly with the "I'm an employee too" kinda talk, because that's like you saying you're a better employee than them. THAT SAID, I really wish both sides of the equation wouldn't be so quick to escalate, there'd be a lot less attitude exchanged. If the person behind the desk just says "Oh look at that, we do fly to YXX, learn something new every day" then both sides smile and move on with their day. If the customer says "Oh you know what, maybe it's just not a popular business route, I can assure you I'm flying direct to Abbotsford today, the route is new on Rouge and I was excited to see I could fly a little closer to home since I don't live in Vancouver" same result, both sides can smile and move along. Unfortunately, for every DYKWIA passenger, there's an IDGAF employee.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Unfortunately, for every DYKWIA passenger, there's an IDGAF employee.
Generally enjoyed and agreed with your post. But shouldn't that be DYKIWATA employee?
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Today we checked in at an empty LAS 4 counter with 4 agents eager to help. I asked the agent to please also fix my son's connecting seat back to 4K. (3 of us had 3K 5K 6K, with 4K open--our son had 4K but he got randomly moved during an agent's manual eup process).

Agent handed us stapled boarding passes and, smiled and said "all set." I walked away and noticed she taken the liberty of moving us to 4 pods across 2 aisles (like 4A 4D 4G 4K). I went then given an attitude and reason: "the entire plane is full", "nothing else available", then "this is what's best for you, they are in the same row". Basically saying to thank her for doing this.

I smiled and responded the J cabin is booked to *12* of 30, the ENTIRE K side is open now, will you be moving us back or should I dial the concierge? Got fixed but thanks for the extra stress.
Antonio8069 and canadiancow like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Generally enjoyed and agreed with your post. But shouldn't that be DYKIWATA employee?
For the purpose of this thread sure. But I think there are definitely frequent flyer/flying nerds who do know more than the employees. For instance, I work on the ramp at the airport. I know most of the aircraft types that roll through here, but there's a good chance I'll mistake a 772 for a 773 or vice versa. Now, if you told me I was wrong, I'd believe you, because I know I make that mistake. But I'm a destination nerd, so I knew AC flew to YXX so if an employee told me they didn't I might push back a bit and say something like "oh you might not right now, but seasonally you do". That 25 million mile UA guy probably knows a lot more (about certain things) than many of the employees he encounters.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
Today we checked in at an empty LAS 4 counter with 4 agents eager to help. I asked the agent to please also fix my son's connecting seat back to 4K. (3 of us had 3K 5K 6K, with 4K open--our son had 4K but he got randomly moved during an agent's manual eup process).

Agent handed us stapled boarding passes and, smiled and said "all set." I walked away and noticed she taken the liberty of moving us to 4 pods across 2 aisles (like 4A 4D 4G 4K). I went then given an attitude and reason: "the entire plane is full", "nothing else available", then "this is what's best for you, they are in the same row". Basically saying to thank her for doing this.

I smiled and responded the J cabin is booked to *12* of 30, the ENTIRE K side is open now, will you be moving us back or should I dial the concierge? Got fixed but thanks for the extra stress.
There's pods out of LAS? That's funny, 'cos I'm flying out of Las Vegas today and it's Rough(e)
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
There's pods out of LAS? That's funny, 'cos I'm flying out of Las Vegas today and it's Rough(e)
Connecting flight.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Although didn't someone in the thread on spare aircraft due to China cancellations mention getting a 789 to LAS recently?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Although didn't someone in the thread on spare aircraft due to China cancellations mention getting a 789 to LAS recently?
Yes, there are some 789/788 scheduled in the coming weeks. P fares are pretty great value at present (assuming full seat inflation).
expert7700 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by bawm
Yes, there are some 789/788 scheduled in the coming weeks. P fares are pretty great value at present (assuming full seat inflation).
It is Vegas. Do you split 10's?
bawm and vernonc like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:24 pm

Not the most exciting story but earlier today at YOW check-in/bag drop with two heavy bags, one close to 65lb (biz class reward ticket).

Lady at desk freaks about the weight and starts pressing me for penalty payment.

I tell her no because I'm on biz ticket with higher allowance.

She looks at screen again and says "Oh I didn't even notice that", apologizes and sends me on my way.

At least she was apologetic.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by yowspotter
Not the most exciting story but earlier today at YOW check-in/bag drop with two heavy bags, one close to 65lb (biz class reward ticket).

Lady at desk freaks about the weight and starts pressing me for penalty payment.

I tell her no because I'm on biz ticket with higher allowance.

She looks at screen again and says "Oh I didn't even notice that", apologizes and sends me on my way.

At least she was apologetic.
Just curious, was this at the regular desk or priority?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:30 am

It was the priority desk but we came out of the regular lineup.
musicmtl likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by SYM
Um, no. 12C is a preferred seat that I’ve booked, oh let me see, 2 X week X 40 weeks/year X 10 years = 800 - (for argument’s sake 50% of the time when its an E190) = 400 - (for argument’s sake 50% of the time when someone else has it first) = 200 times give or take
Hi there...
I'm just now seeing this. Sorry for the delay!
Pre-Altea 12C/27AC on the EMB-175s (and I think the EMB-190s, but they're gone now and I can't recall) were blocked from assignment, at least by the airports until all other seats were occupied. The system would only release those seats once the flight had closed and all other seats were occupied. 12C wasn't/isn't offered as a premium seat because there is no video screen. On the seat chart below you'll see that 12C is now available for customers but isn't highlighted in green because of the lack of video screen. I'm glad as a SE you were/are able to get this seat! Rank has its privileges!

canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Today's question is on passengers returning to Canada with a past-positive COVID test result, in place of a <72hr-negative test result.

The government's policy clearly states that anyone who's recovered from COVID can show their positive test result (if it's between 11 and 180 days old) in place of a negative test, in order to board a flight to Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...omestic-travel

Air Canada's published policy says the same thing.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...irement.html#/

Regardless, I've been hearing multiple reports this month of (mainly sun-destination contract) AC staff denying boarding to passengers presenting a past-positive test without also having a negative test <72 hours before departure, and the concierge desk told me yesterday (incorrectly) that a <72hr negative test was required even alongside a past-positive..

I'm wondering if anyone's had similar experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.