Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
On the Tango vs. Flex thing. I just booked travel to LHR next month. Delta between Flex and Tango was $500. I can't justify to my employer that $500 is worthwhile simply to get 100% AQM - as there is no other benefit to me given the Copay required to e-up which my employer won't pay & that the "Flex"ibility of the ticket is limited. So I get less AQM for my TATL travel which likely drives me down a status tier or maybe two for next year. AC gets to save money on providing me the status benefits that, previously I earned through 80k or so bum on seat miles with AC.

Difficult not to be upset about that as a customer and one that, as I've already said is largely captive for TATL travel at least. So that reduces my loyalty to AC further, prompting me to consider alternatives for my domestic & US travel. So I go from being a happy AC customer, spending $70k per annum or thereabouts to a disillusioned (former) mid tier. I know I am not alone in this.
Well stated - I completely agree with all of this. The reality is that even "non-refundable" tickets are essentially refundable, they just turn into a credit on my file instead of a refund to my CC. Given the amount that I (and everyone here) travels, that's almost no difference.

In other words, the only substantial difference between Tango & Flex fares, are the things that impact me -- not my company -- things like AQM and the ability to upgrade. Things that my company has decided not to pay for.

Interestingly enough, any question of brand loyalty to AC comes from me, not my company. My company could care less if I fly with AC or Delta or AA ... as long as I get the lowest fare, they are happy. I'm the one that biases flights towards AC when I can, not my company.

Put those two facts together, and the only substantial difference between Tango & Flex is to hurt the only bias that does exist towards AC. I understand that AC wants to drive more business flyers to higher priced fares, but that's hard when none of the differences between the fares are really valuable to the business.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by moorw003
You have to ask the question why your main competitor is making "significant inroads". I'd wager a major part of this is the fact the fares you offer that are there to compete directly with WJ domestically, offer no tangible benefit to your altitude programme. Therefore as a consumer, you can't use that to weigh up pros and cons.

The problem with tango @ 25% is you stop people using altitude as a benefit to fly with you. This is even more true when going to America, where UA offer 50%, often for less $.

It doesn't mean they won't fly with you of course; your tango fares are competitive. But tango to the masses is a no bells and whistle service that makes altitude redundant. WestJet probably provide that sector better than AC. I think AC knows this and that's where Rouge was born. When I flew Rouge, I got off the plane thinking "this is WestJet with AC's name on it". That's not an insult btw.

As stated by many others, the difference between Tango and Flex for people only interested in miles is too off putting and as good as any other reason to not worry about it at all. Perhaps rather than reducing flex fares, which would be uneconomical, or increase mileage accrual above the paltry and uncompetitive 25%, there could be room for a special, lower add-on, where people may a fee above the Tango fare that will give them 100% miles for the journey?
+1.

Most of my flying is domestic, and mostly YVR-YYZ/YOW/YUL. This takes about 9 trips to make E35, and at a typical upcharge of ~$100 EW from Tango to Flex it will cost me >$1500 to maintain my E35 status. It's not worth it given the benefits these days, especially considering the difficulty in scoring an upgrade on these routes.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
destinations included in the flight passes

I just noticed that Israel is included in the "World Traveller Pass" Europe version, however it's not included in the regular Europe flight pass. (all other destinations are identical as far as I can tell)

Is this just an oversight or intentional?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 22, 2014, 3:17 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Since AC introduced Flex fares on all routes, the AC website has been pretty much useless for booking any multi-city / open-jaw bookings.

The website currently only has a choice between "Economy Lowest" (which usually books into Tango) and "Economy Flexible" (which books into Latitude).

Could AC please add an "Economy (Flex)" option and possibly change the descriptions to "Economy (Tango)" / "Economy (Flex)" / "Economy (Latitude)"?

(In an ideal world the AC website would have an advanced search engine where people could enter their desired booking class for each segment, but I don't want to be too demanding)

I'm sure quite a few call center agents would appreciate not having to deal with my bookings.
Passed your comments on to our web team. Stay tuned for a whole new website launching next year.
Old May 22, 2014, 3:52 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

I was away this weekend, and then in FRA for the past few days. I spent a good chunk of my day catching up on the 20+ pages in this thread I missed out on. I will be going through and posting replies to the comments Ben (Smith) was not able to address, but I think all of you for being so engaged and contributing so enthusiastically.

I will be reaching out to the mods to see if we can change the format, as this is kind of untenable going forward. That said, please don't stop!
Old May 22, 2014, 3:57 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Hi Bens

I have a J-class booking in July on which two legs are code-shared with EI following the demise of BD. In these circumstances, when the aircraft only operates a Y cabin (which is the case for EI on the DUB-LHR route) I would expect the ticket to be booked into the highest Y fare bucket.

If that had been done with EI, I would have got advance seat selection and lounge access.

However, I now find - when I ring EI - that the booking has actually been made in the very lowest fare class, so I now have to pay for seat selection ahead of check-in opening or risk my wife and I not being seated together and - because AC has not made provision for a third-party lounge in DUB - no lounge access.

On the return journey, I also have no lounge access in LHR.

The blow could have been softened if the excellent T3 Arrivals Lounge at LHR still existed, given I'd have had time to shower before taking the onward flight, but every indication is that you will not be retaining this when you move to T2 in June.

Do you have any plans to rectify these issues?
When we sign interline agreements with other carriers, it's usually based on reciprocal inventory access. We can't always get access to their highest inventory class, just like we don't give OALs unrestricted access to our Y fares, and depending on the agreement this sometimes isn't even dependant on which fare you book on us: e.g. on carriers that offer J cabins, we are given access to a particular fare bucket in that cabin, same goes for Y. Unfortunately we can't always map our J fare to a high level of their Y fare if we don't have access as per our bilateral agreement. I'm not privy to what the agreement between AC/EI stipulates, but I would imagine this is the root of the issue.

I really am sorry for the issues you're having (I know first hand how frustrating it can be to deal with one carrier when ticketed by another), and I've passed on your comments to our Alliances team.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:01 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There seems to be some cunfusion regarding what AC's policy is with regards to providing accommodation etc. during IRROPs.

The Air Canada policy says that AC will only provide accommodation in the event of controllable IRROPs and only to UMs, disabled pax etc. in the event of uncontrollable IRROPs.

However, that policy doesn't quite seem to match the *A guidelines which seem to indicate airlines shall provide amenities such as accommodation, food, transportation etc. to premium pax and *G pax on international itineraries.

Star Alliance Reference Guide (page 128)

Could you please clarify what AC's policy is regarding providing accommodation to J/*G pax on int'l itineraries in the event of IRROPs outside AC's control?

I don't know the official policy off hand, but I'm trying to track it down. Stay tuned.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:05 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
"Hang Up And Call Again" is a highly recommended strategy here on FT for quite some time. I've done it with success. Others seem to as well. I am interested in hearing the AC perspective on this? Thanks!
We invest in extensive and continuous training for our call centre agents. Obviously, policies change and sometimes you may catch someone who hasn't yet had a chance to familiarise his/herself with the new policy. We strive to ensure consistency, and we are working on new ways to make sure the first person you talk to will be able to appropriately handle your issue.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:06 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
A request that either Ben could hopefully pass on:

Change the flight pass info page off Flash. The purchase is already handled on an HTML only page, but you can't look at/purchase passes without going through a Flash based page. I'm currently at a hospital with only an iPad trying to price something out and I can't. Tres annoying.
We hear you loud and clear - We have some solutions we are looking at, stay tuned.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Passed your comments on to our web team. Stay tuned for a whole new website launching next year.
Speaking of web site, something that has always bothered me. I have to go to 4 separate spots to view my AC bookings:

- AC booked online -> My Bookings
- AC flight passes --> My Flight Passes -> Bookings
- AC booked over phone -> e-mail
- reward travel -> Aeroplan web site

I know the last one is complicated, but if my Aeroplan # is attached to my revenue phone bookings, web bookings and flight pass bookings, why can't I just see them all on one page on the web site?
Old May 22, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: Aeropolan Super Elite SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ridefar
Ben Smith, if you are still listening: it is high time to start treating YVRYEGYYC as a rapid air environment like YYZYOWYUL and permit free same day standby. There seems to be tons of local business traffic on these routes, and lots of people that do there and back same day. In which case changes are frequent. It drives me bananas that I have to pay a $75 SDC in YEG just to get back home to YYC one hour sooner than I originally booked. Especially when AC provides a better quality of service for essentially the same scenario on the Eastern business travel routes.
Would it be possible to change the Rapid Air pass to be for either the current Rapid Air Eastern Triangle (YYZ-YOW-YUL) or the Western Triangle (YYJ-YVR-YYC-YUL? I would then be able to buy one pass to make sure I can use it throughout the year.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
I have had a problem with multi-city bookings on the AC web site for as long as I can remember.

The web site adds the fares; rather than giving a combined fare.

For example, I often go from YOW to YVR via YYZ. I would get (even if the booking code and the fare basis are identical) the cost of the YOW-YYZ segment added to the cost of the YYZ-YVR segment.

So if the web site does not give me the exact permutation of the 2 flights, I often have to call the AC agent on the SE line. I would prefer to do this myself.

Of note, the UA web site can give a combined fare of multi-city bookings.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:13 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave0823
Thanks for the response Ben, but this is the same response I've been hearing for the past few years.

Implementing Priority Boarding (as an example) as show below could easily be implemented by Air Canada with minimal costs and provide benefits to those higher-tiered members.

1- SE/J/MM
2- E35/50/75/*G
3- P25/credit cards
4- non-FF, non-CC

<Flame On>
I know this has been studied by Air Canada, but if this is such a high priority, why is there still no resolution to this?
<Flame Off>

Thanks again Ben, and we do appreciate your feedback!

Cheers,
Dave
I assure you it's a high priority. Some of you may remember last year when we were doing type trials of zonal boarding. I can't get into too many details, but suffice to say it's more complicated to implement than you'd first imagine. Not to say we will transition to that zonal model 100%, but we are actively considering a variety of improvements to the boarding process.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gbeaumont
Would it be possible to change the Rapid Air pass to be for either the current Rapid Air Eastern Triangle (YYZ-YOW-YUL) or the Western Triangle (YYJ-YVR-YYC-YUL? I would then be able to buy one pass to make sure I can use it throughout the year.
It would be nice to include in the Rapid Air pass the following options:

YOW-YUL
YOW to YTZ via YUL
Old May 22, 2014, 4:18 pm

To the Moderator of AC forum - can we make this a sticky thread?

Can we make this a sticky thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.