Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Absolute
+3 - I really do prefer UA's groups, especially with the pre-set lineups.
Pre-set lineups are key. Before UA did this, people in the later zones would still crowd the gate area jockeying for position, which didn't really solve the problem.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
It would obviously be appreciated if FTers could avoid off-topic posts and minimize back-and-forth discussions which are more appropiate in other threads.
Agreed. If we are looking for answers from the Bens, we need to reduce the amount of distracting commentary here. The longer it takes them to scroll through this thread, the less time they will have for input, and I'm guessing they're both busy.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I remember when people on this very forum with "connections" to AC would get all worked up, deny, and then laugh at people that suggested that AC will put Tango fares on "core business" routes such as YYZ-NYC.....
It was no surprise to me & I am sure to others that "core Business" route where AC had to compete with likes of Porter & WestJet would go Tango.

To me that was good business plan as there are companies which require their employees to book their business travel in lowest fare available in the market. I see going Tango to compete with Porter & WestJet for Business Travel a sound Business decision.

The different with the above business plan & Rouge is, AC has marketed Rouge as a leisure product to compete with likes of Air Transat & Sunflight.
In midstream have now introduced Rouge on Business Route.
I do not care how AC Spins it. No way is YVR-LAX/SFO leisure market.

I see Rouging YVR-LAX/SFO , YYC-LAX/SFO a slippery slope.
I will not be surprise if YYZ-LGA goes Rouge.
Or in Summer YYZ-LHR going Rouge to compete Summer charters.

Last edited by yyzprincess; May 21, 2014 at 6:36 pm
Old May 21, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC 100KSE
Originally Posted by ridefar
Ben Smith, if you are still listening: it is high time to start treating YVRYEGYYC as a rapid air environment like YYZYOWYUL and permit free same day standby. There seems to be tons of local business traffic on these routes, and lots of people that do there and back same day. In which case changes are frequent. It drives me bananas that I have to pay a $75 SDC in YEG just to get back home to YYC one hour sooner than I originally booked. Especially when AC provides a better quality of service for essentially the same scenario on the Eastern business travel routes.
Really appreciate the input from the Bens, it has changed the tone of the forum to one I enjoy reading and participating in again.
I'd like to +1 the same day standby for some routes, like YYJYVR. Absolutely kills me to sit in YVR for an hour or 2 extra before a 15 minute flight, while the plane leave half full. Particularly painful after a trip home from Europe or India.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
I just want to say that I had an issue with a Dreamliner booking that I reached out to Ben on, and someone reverted within 24 hours and fixed it.

I am impressed. Thank you Ben (and AC)
Old May 21, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Luckily AC does not fly YYC-SFO any longer
Old May 21, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
I think AC's argument is that due to market pressure they have already been offering Courtyard prices but allowing people to stay at the Marriott.

That is of course pretty hard to swallow when you see that pricing to Rouge European destinations is roughly the same as remaining mainline routes - just serves as a "warning" that AC considers Y travelers to Europe (at least paying Tango) to be uneconomic.
So, who does AC consider "economic" then? I thought it was all about fitting in more Y travelers and cutting back overall J for PE and charging the same?
Old May 21, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
It was no surprise to me & I am sure to others that "core Business" route where AC had to compete with likes of Porter & WestJet would go Tango.

To me that was good business plan as there are companies which require their employees to book their business travel in lowest fare available in the market. I see going Tango to compete with Porter & WestJet for Business Travel a sound Business decision.

The different with the above business plan & Rouge is, AC has marketed Rouge as a leisure product to compete with likes of Air Transat & Sunflight.
In midstream have now introduced Rouge on Business Route.
I do not care how AC Spins it. No way is YVR-LAX/SFO leisure market.

I would not be surprised to see rouge enter mainline routes as well. Possibly seeing reduced capacity on mainline YYZ-LHR and adding rouge capacity to compete with Thomas Cook etc. this will offer (I assume) two price points...
Old May 21, 2014, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Edits will be made to remove off topic posts or sidebar debates to try and keep this thread as focused as possible.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator

Last edited by tcook052; May 22, 2014 at 11:26 am
Old May 21, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
Our main domestic competitor has no tier program or corresponding benefits but continues to make significant inroads into the domestic market. We've had to adapt our program to better reflect the new marketplace reality. Altitude P25 E35 E50 E75 SE100 continue to offer the best benefits of any domestic carrier at all levels. Do you know of any NA carrier that provides the basket of benefits we offer to E35s? Lounge access/Priority Services/Int UGs?
Thanks for this, much appreciated. I agree with your point: E35 is perhaps better than nothing. My point, however, is that it is no longer better enough to keep me loyal to AC, especially with the cost of Flex to get 100% AQMs. Hence your first sentence. I'm thinking this is not what was intended?
Old May 22, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Ben(s),
Thanks for making yourselves available for our questions, critiques and kudos.

Question for either of you - given that the Android OS is the dominant operating system for mobile phones everywhere, when is Air Canada going to put out an Android app that works?
Old May 22, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
Our main domestic competitor has no tier program or corresponding benefits but continues to make significant inroads into the domestic market. We've had to adapt our program to better reflect the new marketplace reality. Altitude P25 E35 E50 E75 SE100 continue to offer the best benefits of any domestic carrier at all levels. Do you know of any NA carrier that provides the basket of benefits we offer to E35s? Lounge access/Priority Services/Int UGs?
You have to ask the question why your main competitor is making "significant inroads". I'd wager a major part of this is the fact the fares you offer that are there to compete directly with WJ domestically, offer no tangible benefit to your altitude programme. Therefore as a consumer, you can't use that to weigh up pros and cons.

The problem with tango @ 25% is you stop people using altitude as a benefit to fly with you. This is even more true when going to America, where UA offer 50%, often for less $.

It doesn't mean they won't fly with you of course; your tango fares are competitive. But tango to the masses is a no bells and whistle service that makes altitude redundant. WestJet probably provide that sector better than AC. I think AC knows this and that's where Rouge was born. When I flew Rouge, I got off the plane thinking "this is WestJet with AC's name on it". That's not an insult btw.

As stated by many others, the difference between Tango and Flex for people only interested in miles is too off putting and as good as any other reason to not worry about it at all. Perhaps rather than reducing flex fares, which would be uneconomical, or increase mileage accrual above the paltry and uncompetitive 25%, there could be room for a special, lower add-on, where people may a fee above the Tango fare that will give them 100% miles for the journey?
Old May 22, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
One Q : with the new pods on the 787, are the headphone jacks still right next to the power outlet ? In current pods, that causes a severe buzzing when you try to use your own headphones.
I am hoping that design flaw has been fixed on the new planes.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Ben S,

Firstly, thank you for giving me at least some hope that YYT-LHR year-round might come back.

But on the Tango vs. Flex thing. I just booked travel to LHR next month. Delta between Flex and Tango was $500. I can't justify to my employer that $500 is worthwhile simply to get 100% AQM - as there is no other benefit to me given the Copay required to e-up which my employer won't pay & that the "Flex"ibility of the ticket is limited. So I get less AQM for my TATL travel which likely drives me down a status tier or maybe two for next year. AC gets to save money on providing me the status benefits that, previously I earned through 80k or so bum on seat miles with AC.

Difficult not to be upset about that as a customer and one that, as I've already said is largely captive for TATL travel at least. So that reduces my loyalty to AC further, prompting me to consider alternatives for my domestic & US travel. So I go from being a happy AC customer, spending $70k per annum or thereabouts to a disillusioned (former) mid tier. I know I am not alone in this.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
Ben,

Requests for more miles in Tango notwithstanding, could we also please get full miles for a LMU purchase from Tango? BA does this for their version of LMU.

I won't speak for others, but for myself that would change the calculus considerably and result in increased cash flow to AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.