Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 7:22 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by RCyyz
It's AC personnel who unload the bags from the aircraft, then drive them to the belt. It's also AC personnel who load the bags from the bins onto the belt.

GTAA builds and maintains the belts.

So how is this a GTAA issue?
Come on now - I check a bag somewhat regularly and in YYC the bag is sometimes out before me when I am in Y (with priority tag).

In YYZ - I regularly go to lounge and grab a drink in MLL before going down to baggage hall as I know what to expect (with priority tag).

And in both stations AC is first point of contact re: baggage handling. So how is this strictly an AC issue? Plus YYC has a countdown timer (i.e. X mins till bags delivered) which frankly should be norm - AC doesn't run that.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Smith
This is a joint issue and we're both committed to improving this. Some of the belts and the length and routing of the belts are incredibly long and circuitous which in some cases adds additional time.
Interesting. I've always wondered about who is in charge of this as well. Its the same with international flights into YOW -30-40 minutes to get the first bag on the belt, which is really slow given the size of the airport.

FWIW, this issue is being picked up by international outlets - and not in a good way: "If you can manage, do not check luggage when you do fly into Toronto, as it can take 20 to 30 minutes to get your bags.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201...and-hockey-mix

As an aside, thanks for taking the time to respond to these queries. ^
Old May 22, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by YQMer
Hi Ben and Ben,

I'll understand if you can't answer this, but I thought I would ask anyway just in case. Would it be fair of me to presume if I book into Premium Economy that at last as far as fare class is concerned, I would have a better chance for u/g that if I booked into Y or B?
I always imagined it would be something like this:
O > Y > B > N > E > M etc...

With Flexible PE giving you a better chance than Y/B, but Lowest PE coming in after Latitude.

I know AC has indicated they can't share full upgrade details, but can you confirm that an SE in Y would get an upgrade over E50K in PE? There have been some reports that PE upgrades are cleared first, discounting status.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
With no J offering on our YYZCLT services unfortunately finding a lounge solution is not a high priority. DFW solution is something we're working on.
You sell J on MCOYYZ. Any chance you could please make lounge arrangements now that AC and UA are not airside of the same security checkpoint? The Delta lounge is contracted by LH and listed by the *A lounge finder, but they won't accept Altitude *G. I could live with airside connector transport but that seems less practical than contracting access.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:04 pm

Thank you for your views/comments but I have to correct you and state that you are making false assumptions.

We have absolutely no plans to introduce rouge on YYZLHR
We have absolutely no plans to introduce rouge on YYZLGA
So, if this happens, can we presume your presence here means, "uh-oh"?
Old May 22, 2014, 8:05 pm

I know my perspective is different from many on this board as AC is not my primary airline. However, as someone who buys a few TATL full J fares on AC but is not an SE it is frustrating:

1. having no phone/email method to contact the concierges when I need to
2. being treated by disdain by some concierges as a non-SE J passenger
3. not getting my meal choice having paid for a full J fare (as upgraded SEs are served first)

I realise most SEs on this board are quite happy with the status quo but given your comments on AC aspiring to a "premium product" I would be interested in thoughts from the 2 Bens on these 3 points?
Old May 22, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC 100k, BA
I've asked our revenue management team to look into this.
Thank you for looking into this. I can only reiterate how frustrating it (and tiring) it is to sit waiting for a flight as one or two earlier flights leave for YYJ with empty seats when completing a TATL or TPAC trip. Minimum connection times and common sense mean leaving a connection buffer but more often than not flights arrive on time and we are left sitting at YVR or paying a SDC fee.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Really frustrating pain point if one of the Ben's can look into it. In my personal travels, i've run into this. Let's say I have a $1500 flight credit, and I can squeeze a latitude fair outbound and a flex fare inbound online, i'm right at $1500 (as an example). Once I call into the call center, I get quoted twice or 3x as much as the same B fare for latitude. Then I'll spend 45 minutes to an hour as the agent works with the resources desk, to then finally be able to "honor" the online fare. The main issue is that the B fares online and called in are different $, and the agent, and the customer ends up frustrated as the agent goes...what the heck? Please help us with this! Thanks!
Old May 22, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
There are several additional Caribbean/sun type routes currently flown by mainline that will convert to rouge later this year and then the majority of all new rouge routes will be new growth missions. There will also continue to be new mainline growth missions announcements.
Are there any plans to convert SXM and AUA to Rouge?
Old May 22, 2014, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BrotherBranwell
3. not getting my meal choice having paid for a full J fare (as upgraded SEs are served first)
I'm not a SE so I don't get that benefit either, but the way I see it is AC is a business, here to make a profit. (that's the role of a corporation, no?). Then someone who pays full J brings into AC far few $ than a SE member.

Let's take $ out of it. Anyone who flies a ton (i'm guilty of this as I do only domestic travel at 77000 miles a year), has to "survive" on airplanes. The only feeling I have with point 3 above is "pity" for a SE for the travel. Let them eat what they want....i'll shut up now
Old May 22, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Assuming competitive pricing are you saying our superior schedule, premium ground products and premium in-flight options hold no value? Plus free movies, in seat power and USB ports)
Our year-round schedules vs WS in the markets you mentioned are far superior plus we offer international configured flights in all 3 of the markets you mentioned.
Not at all. Yes, there is value in some of those features, although I typically don't use the IFE. What I'm saying is this: two years ago, when I had to go somewhere I went to the AC website, chose my flights and booked a Flex fare in less than five minutes. Today, I look at the other alternatives and if they work out better I take them (most often to the US). I also don't book Flex fares any more because the value proposition isn't there.

And when my status lapses next February I'll have even less reason to look at AC first.

Last edited by Sopwith; May 22, 2014 at 9:11 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This is a joint issue and we're both committed to improving this. Some of the belts and the length and routing of the belts are incredibly long and circuitous which in some cases adds additional time.
I had an interesting scenario yesterday. Flew EWR-YYZ on AC and had to check 2 bags (something I usually try to avoid because of horrible service at YYZ). Both bags were priority tagged.

I was delighted to have one of my bags come down the belt first. Then there were no bags for 7.5 mins! (Yes, I timed it.) What could possibly have been happening in the mysterious luggage hole for 7.5 mins since the bags were obviously there? Anyhow, my second bag never showed up, so had to wait for all the bags to offload before I could file a lost baggage claim. I can't win even when my bag comes off first.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Sopwith

I also don't book Flex fares any more because the value proposition isn't there.
Something I've always wanted them to introduce with Flex fares would be free early stand-by systemwide with no checked luggage.

Why:
1) It's a real value for the frequent travellers, and those are the ones most likely to buy Flex fares.

2) If they said only with no checked luggage, it would eliminate the cost and concern of doing a stand-by

3) It would actually help reduce the number of seats on later flights, opening up seats for flights that misconnect, reducing costs for AC with VDB.

I actually think this change, if done systemwide, would actually reduce AC's SG&A, not increase it (point 3). It would also be a HUGE benefit and warmly welcome by frequent flyers.
Old May 22, 2014, 9:57 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
They buy through AC though, don't they? An Aeroplan redemption that's LH/SQ/TG is still on an 014 ticket.

(Not trying to argue... just thought that an 014 ticket with other airline's flights on it meant space was "purchased" from the other carrier(s) by AC.)
They don't buy through AC, but they ticket through us (as they don't have ticketing rights not being an IATA carrier).
Old May 22, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by YYJForever
Thank you for looking into this. I can only reiterate how frustrating it (and tiring) it is to sit waiting for a flight as one or two earlier flights leave for YYJ with empty seats when completing a TATL or TPAC trip. Minimum connection times and common sense mean leaving a connection buffer but more often than not flights arrive on time and we are left sitting at YVR or paying a SDC fee.
A fix on this would help AC as much as its customers. We always need extra time on arrival from overseas, just in case the TPAC is late. Last year, after arriving from NRT on time, I was told I would have to pay to move to an earlier flight. I declined, and waited, only to see them offering deals because they had more people than seats on the flight I was on. So please, please, some flexibility after a TPAC or TATL would be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.