Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just type "Ben Smith" in a post just to bait them.
If we say his name three times and look in a mirror, will he appear?

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 9, 2017 at 10:07 am Reason: off topic
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CanRulez
They should move the head office to Ontario. Bring someone like Kevin O'Leary to run operations.
This comes up quite regularly, but what actual good would moving head office accomplish? Would the call centre wait times magically get better with the bosses in the centre of the universe? Would the planes magically become cleaner because the bigwigs can watch the Leafs lose instead of the Habs win? Would the seat pitch in Y increase because they pay tolls on the 407? Would the IT system stop being a clusterfluff if they were within sight of the CN tower? Would they abandon YQ surchargers by using nuclear power rather than hydroelectric? How would moving head office improve things for the customer?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by smallmj
How would moving head office improve things for the customer?
I say this respectfully - moving head office may or may not improve things for the customer but it will likely change things for the simple reason that the available pool of people working at head office will change somewhat.

I'm not implying that workers in YYZ are better than workers in YUL. I'm just saying that different people working in head office may yield different results.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just type "Ben Smith" in a post just to bait them.

Oh.

Oops.
Last time I think that worked was when I posted what and agent said "he" said... but it wasn't bait, it was exactly what I was told.

Edit: Here is is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-only-ses.html
Old Feb 9, 2017, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
years of entitlement in YUL, have set a bad corporate culture. Any move would be helpful
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:57 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flybit
years of entitlement in YUL, have set a bad corporate culture. Any move would be helpful
Actually, Montreal has an appreciable pool of aerospace / airline / engineering talents. Also, AC has been able to attract a good bunch of talents from all over the places, included Toronto. Finally, many YUL based executives actually spend a good portion of their time in YYZ.

The scale of the Montreal aerospace cluster might be an example of having the right expertise pool in a relatively affordable environment.

When you talk about bad corporate culture, I never seen any of that at the HQ. They are actually way more YYZ focussed / Bay Street minded than you would believe. Now, if you meant ACTS/AVEOS (RIP), that was another story... Anyways, both cities have horror stories on the bad corporate culture arena.

Despite the above, I agree that YYZ still present the potential of bigger pool of appropriate talents. But this would be offset by considerably higher salary costs / operating costs.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I say this respectfully - moving head office may or may not improve things for the customer but it will likely change things for the simple reason that the available pool of people working at head office will change somewhat.

I'm not implying that workers in YYZ are better than workers in YUL. I'm just saying that different people working in head office may yield different results.
Their YYZ office isn't that small

On one hand, I agree. But on the other hand, I suspect it's not too hard to work a YMQ-YTO commuter flight pass into an employment contract at AC. What's an hour on a Q400 compared to an hour on the 401?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What's an hour on a Q400 compared to an hour on the 401?
Anybody being compensated at senior executive rates at AC will be able to afford a place that involves a lot shorter commute than from the burbs. Notwithstanding the fact that an hour in a Q400 involves at least another hour satisfying pre and post flight obligations.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Anybody being compensated at senior executive rates at AC will be able to afford a place that involves a lot shorter commute than from the burbs. Notwithstanding the fact that an hour in a Q400 involves at least another hour satisfying pre and post flight obligations.
Agree. They probably rent if not buying those multi million mansions in Rosedale or Forest Hill.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks let's please return to this thread topic which isn't relocating AC HQ to the GTA.

tcook052
Ac forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.