Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Yes, ask them to call up the resources department and they will honor the ac.com fares, even in Lat
Old May 23, 2014, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Just came across this. Our very own Ben Smith!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA1V8...UlaJVwu3Za1iKg
Old May 23, 2014, 11:44 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvr76
Are call centre agents even able to offer web-only fares? I had to call in to apply a previous travel credit, and had to spend an extra couple hundred $ as he didn't have access to the Latitude fare online.
Should be able to.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Aeropolan Super Elite SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by YYJForever
Thank you for looking into this. I can only reiterate how frustrating it (and tiring) it is to sit waiting for a flight as one or two earlier flights leave for YYJ with empty seats when completing a TATL or TPAC trip. Minimum connection times and common sense mean leaving a connection buffer but more often than not flights arrive on time and we are left sitting at YVR or paying a SDC fee.
We need Western Rapidair (YYJ, YVR, YEG, YYC) and allow us to purchase an East West Rapdiair flight Pass - What say you Bens?
Old May 23, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: SE 100K, ICH Plat, Fairmont Plat,SPG Gold
Priority boarding? (Ben) Does it have any meaning any more?

So I will first say that I have been a flyertalk lurker for many years and I would like to thank the community for all the helpful info that I have learned from the forum. It is also nice to see that the Bens seem to be listening to the views of the forums hence I wanted to comment on the priority boarding on AC flights.

It seems that the priority boarding announcement is always followed by more than half the plane coming up to board especially with all of the credit cards which give this privilege now. As a frequent revenue J customer I must admit that this is somewhat annoying as this is the reason why I am paying a hefty premium for this benefit.

I firmly believe that AC needs to restructure this procedure. Possible scenarios of
1. J class and SE 100K, MMs (you've earned that right)
2. E75, 50, 35 and 25K and *G
3. Credit card non status fliers
4. Non status general boarding
Old May 23, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Does it really matter. You get on the plane, you fly on the plane, you get off the plane.

I like priority boarding because, especially on full regional flights and the 777HD, you are guaranteed rack space.

But it doesn't matter if 1/4 of the plane is priority.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
This is the main point of this issue though. It seems totally random finding an agent willing to do this. I have heard different excuses from "we can't, computer won't let me, air canada will fire me, mgmt doesn't think we are needed and pushing everyone to website, cheaper to process through web so cheaper tickets on web". I have received each of these responses to this particular request and it has been from more than one agent. Almost makes me feel like AC doesn't want us booking these fares through call centre and that some agents don't care about breaking the rules.

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Quote:

Originally Posted by yvr76

Are call centre agents even able to offer web-only fares? I had to call in to apply a previous travel credit, and had to spend an extra couple hundred $ as he didn't have access to the Latitude fare online.

Should be able to.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Should be able to.
Should, but often can't. Whether this is because the agents don't know how to, or simply can't be bothered to, I don't know. I suspect some of each.

And this is especially frustrating after the long telephone waiting times.

Are you going to be doing anything to address phone hold times. This really is my only real point of contention with AC service.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by Trinidoc94
It seems that the priority boarding announcement is always followed by more than half the plane coming up to board especially with all of the credit cards which give this privilege now.
It really varies by route. Last week, YYJ-YYC-YYJ, there were four priority boarders on the first flight and two on the second. I have also seen short short lineups for NRT-YVR.

I like to get on first so I don't have to fight for carryon space. That said, don't forget the theory that a free-for-all is the most efficient process. Those in the know will board right away. The infrequent flyers will board later, of course taking the time to read all of the row numbers as they work their way to the back. (I don't have faith in that theory, just to be clear.)

In any event, I can't see adding complications to flights when there is no need.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trinidoc94
2. E75, 50, 35 and 25K and *G
You're kidding right? 35K having priority boarding is contentious enough, 25K is not "frequent" flying. AC should bring in line all *G requirements. 50K and up. Cue trolling now.
Old May 23, 2014, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
You're kidding right? 35K having priority boarding is contentious enough, 25K is not "frequent" flying. AC should bring in line all *G requirements. 50K and up. Cue trolling now.
I'd put *S in with credit cards.

1. SE/J
2. *G
3 *S/CC
4. Everyone else
Old May 23, 2014, 6:34 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by DaveObee

In any event, I can't see adding complications to flights when there is no need.
+1
Old May 23, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd put *S in with credit cards.

1. SE/J
2. *G
3 *S/CC
4. Everyone else
I'd put *G and J together.

1. SE
2. *G/J
3 *S/CC
4. Everyone else

According to *A rules, *G should board with J. So this arrangement would comply with *A rules and make SE higher than J with no status.

Aircraft like E90/E75 only has very limited overhead storage in J. SE should have a slight priority over people with no status to board.

Old May 23, 2014, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by wolvie007
Almost makes me feel like AC doesn't want us booking these fares through call centre and that some agents don't care about breaking the rules.
I once wanted to combine a Latitude fare YUL-LAX with a United economy fare LAX-FAT. The call centre agent only offered the very expensive Latitude fare and not the one shown online. Result: lost revenue for AC as I didn't book the Latitude fare at all.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
OK, I'll bite.

By most airlines' definitions, flying more than 25 000 miles, or the equivalent of once around the world at the equator, is frequent flying. The definition of frequent flying could rely on segments, not distance, but that's another discussion.

I'm at E35K this year (domestic only) and I fly more than twice as frequently than the rest of my immediate family combined. I also flew more segments than a number of TPAC/TATL SEs out there. Given all of this, yes, lower tier members are frequent flyers too.

From a revenue standpoint, I probably spent a few $1000s more on the T/T+ differential to accrue the suite of benefits, not including the actual flight cost that may have gone to other carriers. I suspect that there are many E35Ks in the same boat... and (like me) consistently paying more for domestic AQM than a lot pay for international AQM (but have a higher status).

Some folks in higher status tiers seem to forget that the benefits are incremental. At lower tiers it's "get this discount" and "pick 1 of 2 choices", while at higher tiers it's "get this included" and "pick 2 of 3 choices". Core to the program are the soft benefits of priority contacts, check-in, boarding, etc.; low cost (free!) methods of enhancing loyalty.

Since this thread is about providing feedback and the topic of zoned priority boarding has come up, here's my preference:
  1. Paid J, SE125K, MM
  2. E-Up J, SE100K, E75/50/35K
  3. P25K, CC Holders
  4. Non-FF Passengers

... I bet this troll bait is more enticing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.