Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K; AS MVP Gold75K; Fairmont Platinum; SPG/Marriott Platinum
YYJ - YVR Issues

Originally Posted by YYJForever
Thank you for looking into this. I can only reiterate how frustrating it (and tiring) it is to sit waiting for a flight as one or two earlier flights leave for YYJ with empty seats when completing a TATL or TPAC trip. Minimum connection times and common sense mean leaving a connection buffer but more often than not flights arrive on time and we are left sitting at YVR or paying a SDC fee.
Ben & Ben,

Thanks for making yourselves available here. Classy move, and much appreciated.

I'd like to second YYJForever's post but draw it even further.

The typical costs for a YYJYVR r/t in Flex at T-14 are around the $400 mark. The flight time is 13 minutes o/w which must make this route one of the shortest in the system.

With Victoria being the provincial capital and Vancouver being the economic hub, the route sees a lot of same-day business travel to meetings and the like. As durations of meetings are often hard to predict, it's difficult to nail down exact return times.

Having spent $400+ for 26 no-service minutes in a Dash-8, I find it highly aggravating to be fleeced for another $78 just to get on an earlier flight. Especially with no luggage, and plenty of seats available. There's a flight every hour and with no on-board service it resembles taking a bus.

It would be nice if you could extend the same courtesy you offer business travellers in the YOWYYZ corridor to your best customers on the westcoast. A Flex ticket should provide E/SE with free same day changes on the YYJYVR route.

Harbour Air with downtown-to-downtown service has offered that courtesy for years. I happily give you my business, bother with security and add another 30 minutes on the Skytrain to get downtown, but, as I said, I don't want to be fleeced on top of it.

You may also want to consider a Vancouver Island FlightPass.

Thanks for listening.
Old May 23, 2014, 2:58 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
This question is purely to fulfill my curiosity and was sparked by another thread on the new airport in Fort McMurray and the tidbit that AC expressed initial interest in putting an MLL there.

I have always wondered why it is that YQR had an MLL but not YXE. Are there really that many more J-class and elite passengers in Regina than Saskatoon (which is slightly bigger in population and has a busier airport). Or, is it an issue of space? Coming from Alberta, where the mantra of every Edmontonian and Calgarian is "if the other city has one, then so must we", I would think that this might be quite a sore point for Saskatonian FFers!

Also, why is it that YQK does not have a properly branded MLL?

Last edited by jbb; May 23, 2014 at 3:04 am
Old May 23, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
We invest in extensive and continuous training for our call centre agents. Obviously, policies change and sometimes you may catch someone who hasn't yet had a chance to familiarise his/herself with the new policy. We strive to ensure consistency, and we are working on new ways to make sure the first person you talk to will be able to appropriately handle your issue.
Interesting answer. Why do I suspect that you may not fully understand the full extent of the problem? I, if not many here, can assure you often it has nothing to do with some new policy. But if this is the AC perception then it will be a long wait to see an improvement. Could it be that things are so complicated now and so many changes happening, it seems almost a Herculean task to keep everyone trained up?
Old May 23, 2014, 5:39 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RCyyz
It's AC personnel who unload the bags from the aircraft, then drive them to the belt. It's also AC personnel who load the bags from the bins onto the belt.

GTAA builds and maintains the belts.

So how is this a GTAA issue?
It's interesting in YOW, where for the past year they now display a message stating that "Baggage delivery is the responsibility of your airline", and "Average baggage delivery time is 20 minutes". Sounds like a bit of a PR campaign to deflect ire away from the airport authority. It's good to hear from AC's perspective as well, regarding belt lengths.

I do agree though, especially TB/Intl in YYZ; I always wonder why I bothered to use my NEXUS when I'm just standing around for 30-45 minutes, instead of at least shuffling through corals to keep me distracted.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Absolute
It's interesting in YOW, where for the past year they now display a message stating that "Baggage delivery is the responsibility of your airline", and "Average baggage delivery time is 20 minutes". Sounds like a bit of a PR campaign to deflect ire away from the airport authority.

I do agree though, especially TB/Intl in YYZ; I always wonder why I bothered to use my NEXUS when I'm just standing around for 30-45 minutes, instead of at least shuffling through corals to keep me distracted.
The very worst airport for bags anywhere is YYZ. Simply disgusting service. In the past 3 years other than one flight cause I had skis. I only take carryon luggage on every flight. No matter where I'm going. GTAA is a disgrace to the biggest airport in Canada.
Old May 23, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Silvercity
The very worst airport for bags anywhere is YYZ. Simply disgusting service. In the past 3 years other than one flight cause I had skis. I only take carryon luggage on every flight. No matter where I'm going. GTAA is a disgrace to the biggest airport in Canada.
I couldn't agree more, which is why - being based in YYZ - I avoid checking bags at all costs.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:35 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Really frustrating pain point if one of the Ben's can look into it. In my personal travels, i've run into this. Let's say I have a $1500 flight credit, and I can squeeze a latitude fair outbound and a flex fare inbound online, i'm right at $1500 (as an example). Once I call into the call center, I get quoted twice or 3x as much as the same B fare for latitude. Then I'll spend 45 minutes to an hour as the agent works with the resources desk, to then finally be able to "honor" the online fare. The main issue is that the B fares online and called in are different $, and the agent, and the customer ends up frustrated as the agent goes...what the heck? Please help us with this! Thanks!
The issue is we file special fares to our website, called 'derived fares.' This differs from other B fares which are straight filed in the GDS. Therefore, a call centre agent would naturally not be able to see the web-only fares at first glance. Remember, we always offer the lowest fares on AC.com!
Old May 23, 2014, 7:37 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ia Ora
Ben & Ben,

Thanks for making yourselves available here. Classy move, and much appreciated.

I'd like to second YYJForever's post but draw it even further.

The typical costs for a YYJYVR r/t in Flex at T-14 are around the $400 mark. The flight time is 13 minutes o/w which must make this route one of the shortest in the system.

With Victoria being the provincial capital and Vancouver being the economic hub, the route sees a lot of same-day business travel to meetings and the like. As durations of meetings are often hard to predict, it's difficult to nail down exact return times.

Having spent $400+ for 26 no-service minutes in a Dash-8, I find it highly aggravating to be fleeced for another $78 just to get on an earlier flight. Especially with no luggage, and plenty of seats available. There's a flight every hour and with no on-board service it resembles taking a bus.

It would be nice if you could extend the same courtesy you offer business travellers in the YOWYYZ corridor to your best customers on the westcoast. A Flex ticket should provide E/SE with free same day changes on the YYJYVR route.

Harbour Air with downtown-to-downtown service has offered that courtesy for years. I happily give you my business, bother with security and add another 30 minutes on the Skytrain to get downtown, but, as I said, I don't want to be fleeced on top of it.

You may also want to consider a Vancouver Island FlightPass.

Thanks for listening.
Passed comments on to RM team; we are looking at it. No promises obviously.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:43 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Interesting answer. Why do I suspect that you may not fully understand the full extent of the problem? I, if not many here, can assure you often it has nothing to do with some new policy. But if this is the AC perception then it will be a long wait to see an improvement. Could it be that things are so complicated now and so many changes happening, it seems almost a Herculean task to keep everyone trained up?
Well, part of the 'problem' as you put it, is our agents are human like anyone else, and occasionally make mistakes like anyone else. They are great, knowledgeable people who work hard, and clearly we try and ensure they have the best training for the job, but when policies change or you are asking for a complex itin - well I'm sure you can appreciate that sometimes mistakes happen.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I couldn't agree more, which is why - being based in YYZ - I avoid checking bags at all costs.
Old May 23, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Travel Agent bookings

The last few times I've had a booking made through a travel agent, I noticed that I can't add my Aeroplan number to the booking through Manage My Bookings. Would it be possible to add more functionality to the Manage My Bookings tab so that I have the same options, no matter if the ticket is purchased through AC.com or any other channel?
Old May 23, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Me too. Since to moved to a more national role a few years back and am in YYZ almost every two weeks, I havent checked a bag domestically in almost two years. You know YYZ has an issue when it is faster to get your bags at LHR / FRA...
Old May 23, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by Silvercity
I remember a few years back getting back after the Christmas break and hearing "passengers on flight XXXX, we are unable to find your luggage" or something to that effect. It took us over an hour to get our bags, not sure what happened to the passengers on flight XXXX.

I also hope they fixed the phone lines in the lost baggage dept. While I was happy to get our bags back, calling them sounded like talking between tin cans and string. Add the foreign accents and I never did call to confirm I got my bags back.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:40 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I just noticed that Israel is included in the "World Traveller Pass" Europe version, however it's not included in the regular Europe flight pass. (all other destinations are identical as far as I can tell)

Is this just an oversight or intentional?

Thanks in advance!
It was intentional. We are re-evaluating to see if it should be changed.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
The issue is we file special fares to our website, called 'derived fares.' This differs from other B fares which are straight filed in the GDS. Therefore, a call centre agent would naturally not be able to see the web-only fares at first glance. Remember, we always offer the lowest fares on AC.com!
Are call centre agents even able to offer web-only fares? I had to call in to apply a previous travel credit, and had to spend an extra couple hundred $ as he didn't have access to the Latitude fare online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.