Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 5:11 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Late to the game but just wanted to thank you for weighing in here. I know you're a busy guy. It is appreciated.

PS - Re: 77W MTOW increase ....... Is this the increase TO 775K on the back of the 77X work? Or even higher? What an incredible machine.
When you refer to the 77X do you mean the next generation 777s or something else?
Old May 22, 2014, 5:15 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by danapop
Ben(z),

As a YEGer, I would love to see some direct transboarder routes even on rouge. Westjet has a monopoly in routes like YEG-LAS that are consistently sold out and fares run at a premium. My last WS YEG-LAS fare was $880 return. (On AC in J with a cx in YVR it was only $1100 - but my lovely wife doesn't have the same affection for 'creative' routings that I do.

Second, what is the future of YEG-LHR is the 767s are all supposed to be sent to rouge?

Cheers and thanks for participating.

D
We're planning on keeping some 767s at mainline thru the end of the decade
Old May 22, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Aeroplan doesn't buy their redemption tickets on OAL from AC, they buy them from the OAL directly. They are our biggest customer because they buy a lot of redemption tickets directly from us, but the only tickets they buy from us are for flights that we operate.
They buy through AC though, don't they? An Aeroplan redemption that's LH/SQ/TG is still on an 014 ticket.

(Not trying to argue... just thought that an 014 ticket with other airline's flights on it meant space was "purchased" from the other carrier(s) by AC.)
Old May 22, 2014, 5:19 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by kwflyer
Speaking of meals/drinks Ben,

WJ now offers complimentary Beer and Wine on their ever expanding encore routes and open bar on their rapidair and NYC routes.

PD offers complimentary Beer and Wine on all routes (Jackson Triggs VQA is excellent). WG offers complimentary wine with your complimentary meal (domestically) and free champagne to Caribbean destinations (on top of your of the complimentary wine/meal).

We will see AC realigning their beverage policy to match these small offerings to maintain competitive and commercial success?

Also, I understand Molson is now their beer provider in all MLL's and due to realignment reasons had to standardize beverage choice offerings across all lounges. Rickard's products are also owned by Molson and distributed in all markets served by MLL's. What are the chances of getting Rickards products standardized across all MLL's to provide a higher standard of beverage offerings without compromising your existing Molson contract?
We're constantly reviewing our onboard product offering to ensure we remain competitive in a cost effective manner. With J class on all our mainline aircraft we have a different model to WS/PD and design our products/services accordingly.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:22 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Hey Ben,

Love your responses. I'll keep this quick and keep my fingers crossed you'll answer this

We've lost the USAir lounge in CLT as a *G lounge so now there is no lounge in CLT for *G members. Also, the UA lounge for DFW is in a different terminal when going from DFW to YYZ...as an example. Anything you can share?

I'll second the request for meals preorder. I've resorted to instant noodles and the new sushi in Y because the 4 meals...well I get the uneasy feeling now due to the amounts I have consumed as I only fly domestic, haha!

PS thanks for looking into the creamers issue for NLML and VOML! As for priority boarding, my only opinion is that there should be a separation between altitude members....there are a TON of E35K members...little blue tags are everywhere! haha
With no J offering on our YYZCLT services unfortunately finding a lounge solution is not a high priority. DFW solution is something we're working on.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:26 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
Something else I'd be curious to ask - because its known that it is going to happen - but when should we expect to find out about new routes re rouge or mainline? / If when it expands to cover southern destinations from other Canadian cities. I'm not going to lie - unlike many around here I'd rather not connect - I love the flying experience - but Ill take a non stop (okay Im 5 9) over a connector any day. (And yes, I will pay more for it...)
Over the next few years we are planning significant growth both at mainline and at rouge so going forward you can expect to hear about new routes multiple times throughout each year.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: None no more
AC 98 & 99

Based in YXE, a retiree, who travels to Brasil, I was pleased to see this. Knocks 5 to 6 hours off my travel time.

Any plans to switch this to Rouge? Have bought two business class trips for 2015 so far, would be a customer for more if the route remains with lie-flat J. My back could just not tolerate 10 plus hours.

Also, would love to see a Latitude S. America flight pass.

Thanks
Old May 22, 2014, 5:31 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by exbayern
While I can appreciate this, the product, combined with the apparently new policy of only permitting J (not C, not D, not Z, as per the other thread) to prebook the single seats means that my revenue has gone elsewhere. As you note, France based flyers have many options (and frankly, they seem to be increasing this year). I have revisited mine, and chosen what works best for me. I do sincerely wish AC luck in increasing revenue on this route, but my revenue wont be contributing to it in future.
I said paid J not J booking class only.
AC continues to be the only carrier to offer 180 degree flat beds in J every day year-round on YULCDG. We have proprietary MLLs/Concierges at both CDG and YUL. What is it you're looking for that we don't provide?
Old May 22, 2014, 5:36 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by zackery149
Based in YXE, a retiree, who travels to Brasil, I was pleased to see this. Knocks 5 to 6 hours off my travel time.

Any plans to switch this to Rouge? Have bought two business class trips for 2015 so far, would be a customer for more if the route remains with lie-flat J. My back could just not tolerate 10 plus hours.

Also, would love to see a Latitude S. America flight pass.

Thanks
I've said this a few times - we have no plans to convert YYZGIG to rouge. I would be surprised if a case could be made to convert any of our new routes to rouge. If rouge made more sense they would have been launched as rouge. There are several additional Caribbean/sun type routes currently flown by mainline that will convert to rouge later this year and then the majority of all new rouge routes will be new growth missions. There will also continue to be new mainline growth missions announcements.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Smith
I said paid J not J booking class only.
The way it's loaded, only J fare is allowing it. If you try a booking using lowest business on AC.com it'll show them all blocked. Select flexible business and they all open up.

If it's supposed to be all paid business fares and not just J someone should go fix that.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rehoult
The way it's loaded, only J fare is allowing it. If you try a booking using lowest business on AC.com it'll show them all blocked. Select flexible business and they all open up.

If it's supposed to be all paid business fares and not just J someone should go fix that.
Indeed that seems to be the case when making a dummy booking on the AC website.

If all revenue J pax (booked in P/Z/D/C/J) as well as top tier members can select the preferred seats, that leaves very few pax who can't select those seats. Kind of defeats the purpose of introducing preferred seats, or am I missing something?
Old May 22, 2014, 5:44 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by flybit
Same here after years of getting double status I have just a few months ago bailed from AC. Reality is I gave up on SE status many years ago, but often tossed AC some bones to get 35/50k status.
1K is a far better option. And at 1MM you gift the status you have 1k not gold
someone earlier in this thread asked for 2MM to be improved at Air Canada. YYZPRINCESS, how does UA and AC 2MM compare.
I have also decided to abandon AC even thought I have 800k in lifetime miles. I guess I am going to go for UA 2MM because I am at 1.6MM, amazing because I have at least 8 1k that were all SE's.
Ben you are losing way to many SE customers with all these cuts. If a person is not stuck flying in Canada the other airline programs kill AC SE. The other thing I think AC forgets, every lost SE takes a lot of customers with them.
There's a lot that goes into our analysis. Ever wonder how SQ CX QF NH can command higher J/F yields vs the US carriers? One reason is they don't undersell their products and continue to invest in hard and soft spec improvements which place them at the top of the industry. In order for us to invest in new products and allocate the necessary real-estate required we need a high enough average yield to cover our costs and provide an adequate ROIC. It's a very delicate balance to ensure we run a profitable carrier, provide competitive products/services and offer loyalty benefits to our best customers.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
For YYZ luggage claims (domestic), are there anything being done about the slowness of getting luggage on to the baggage claim area? it's one of the worst airports for luggage claims and one reason why I hate checking luggage to YYZ

Also at least in YYC there is a countdown timer estimating the time it will take for luggage to arrive. Can that be implemented in YYZ?
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
This is more of a question for the GTAA than AC, but obviously we work closely with them. This is a common issue and we are working on ways to resolve it.
It's AC personnel who unload the bags from the aircraft, then drive them to the belt. It's also AC personnel who load the bags from the bins onto the belt.

GTAA builds and maintains the belts.

So how is this a GTAA issue?
Old May 22, 2014, 5:54 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Let's talk YYC service.

Thanks for your response on YYC-IAH regarding the CRA equip. IIRC the CRA equipment does a V routing YYZ-IAH-YYC and reverse. Therefore is it possible to put Sky regional E75 onto the run. This would comply with the teamsters restrictions regarding IAH. While I like the CRA, I think this aircraft is better fit for the under 2hr routes. Based in reviews from around the office (HQ in YYC and significant offices in IAH and AUS) moving to the Embraer would put AC on more competitive footing.

Also, is there any possibility of getting AC onto the UA hubs out of YYC? Specifically DEN, ORD, and SFO. I would even appreciate rouge service in SFO route. Looking at DEN there is a strong connection between the two cities with many YYC based companies with regional offices in the Denver area (Encana, Agrium, and Suncor come to mind but there are many others). For my little midsize energy services company, our USA headquarters is in Denver. Most people in my office prefer the CRA over the UAX CR7, while I am not advocating replacement of UA mainline service, augmenting the route with CRA would be an improvement and would drive YYC based traffic to AC express over UAX.

For YYC Hawaii flts, when can we expect to see rouge on the run. If I need to do a year end mileage run, premium rouge earn rate to UA is very good, but I would need to see an early (ie July) commitment as to putting rouge 763 onto Hawaii.

AC used to offer once per week service YYC-MBJ and I believe YYC-CUN was operated by the 763. Is there any possibility of getting these services with rouge? Premium rouge with a Sandals all inclusive package through ACV would be a compelling value proposition.

Finally what are the next steps for YYC-FRA? LH tried the run and tanked, but then heard from many people that LH c class was inferior to AC J class. We now have the 77W for the summer. Is there ever a possibility of getting a Double daily option onto the route? Problem i see with double daily is that AC might not have the right aircraft, is the 788 too many seats to go double daily? Double daily 763 is a natural growth from single daily 333 and alternative to 77W if your have the slots, but the 788 is just over 500 seats at double daily.

What is achievable from YYC perspective for enhanced AC services?
Anything is possible from YYC. With the economy booming you can expect additional links to destinations where there is demand. Who would have imagined a year-round YYCNRT service? Just a few years ago it was only us flying long-haul from YYC. Now we have BA KL year-round as well. TS WG are also much more present.

Unfortunately our E75s don't have the legs for YYCIAH. 3 hours is about max with a full payload.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:57 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by RCyyz
It's AC personnel who unload the bags from the aircraft, then drive them to the belt. It's also AC personnel who load the bags from the bins onto the belt.

GTAA builds and maintains the belts.

So how is this a GTAA issue?
This is a joint issue and we're both committed to improving this. Some of the belts and the length and routing of the belts are incredibly long and circuitous which in some cases adds additional time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.