Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Having ranged from 25k-75k miles over the past 10 years, I think the 35k for elite was an exceptionally good deal. People were taking advantage of AC to get Star Gold (similar to Aegean now) because it was so easy to get. I loved the MLL access at and red SSWU upgrade coupons at 35k, but the program was so over subscribed.

Many times along the way, I thought that 35k was too low for full elite status, and I really didn't need to do very much flying to get it. I do feel that 50k for full elite makes more sense. Look at what you get (or don't get) with UA's premier levels.

I personally think they should remove the 35k level altogether. 25-50-75-100 makes a lot more sense.
THis was my case this year. I was going to reach 25K. I decided that the benefits of 35k were a lot better and I did a few MR to reach that status. Had the gap been 25 and 50 I would never try to double my flying. E35K is a great level for domestic flyers, as it just makes travelling more comfortable. Sure a S100K probably brings more money to AC then myself, but if it's the bottom line, getting other flyers like myself to continue flying to try and reach that next threshold is always a good business strategy...
Old May 20, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
Finding a solution for improvement is a high priority for us.
Some people will rake me over the coals for this, but:

1) Has the idea of dropping the E35k level been floated? It's the *G that's actually *S, an unnatural progression in the 25-50-75-100 lineup. Cuts down on MLL / priority service crowding. The lower requal level for 2015 isn't a benefit for it, so it can be cut fairly easily. The old elite is the new E50k already anyway.

2) Boarding classes:
1- SE/J
2- E50/75
3- P25/credit cards
4- non-FF, non-CC
Old May 20, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
fully flat J product identical to LX/OS/SN/some DL acft with 6 single seats (soon to be reserved for top tier/paid J)
Late to the party I know, but did I just read right? I swear I get more work done sitting in that seat than in any office... I'd literally pay for 4+hr J legs just to be my office with black label free pour. (unlimited flight pass (ab)use?) Sometimes there's an ignorant pair behind kicking away, but still better than the impatient indecisive fatfinger punching the screen and my head from behind or frequent table slamming in the pods...

There are positives with the new poo-flavoured interiors (and now website) afterall.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Some people will rake me over the coals for this, but:

1) Has the idea of dropping the E35k level been floated? It's the *G that's actually *S, an unnatural progression in the 25-50-75-100 lineup. Cuts down on MLL / priority service crowding. The lower requal level for 2015 isn't a benefit for it, so it can be cut fairly easily. The old elite is the new E50k already anyway.

2) Boarding classes:
1- SE/J
2- E50/75
3- P25/credit cards
4- non-FF, non-CC
You have to realize that accumulating AQM and AQS costs more in Canada than in other countries (notably our next door neighbhour). Its the same reason AG has lower limits for for *S and *G. I have met many elites who only fly domestically (and pay a high CPM already), so I think AC kept this b/c they have a loyal (and profitable) domestic elite class (who are not always flying on 100% flex or higher tickets).

*A benefits would be an afterthought for most in this segment due to most of their flights being domestic only. That's why it made more sense to devalue the *A benefits than touch priority/lounge access.

You are forgetting that AC still makes most of their money on domestic routes, and Canada ain't no small country (although has some of the highest airfares in the world).

It interesting how quickly one forgets their previous status level/benefits when the move into another tier. I enjoyed my P25K/E35K benefits and still think they should remain intact. 25/35K is still significant amount of flying, even though the elimination of a lower tier would probably help 50K and above.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Yes, that would be ideal.

Back in the day there was one called Canada East-West. I also have had a number of colleagues express that they work for institutions/companies that don't like the idea of buying a pass that could be used for anywhere in NA but, would support purchasing a Canada only pass.
+1 to bringing back Canada East-West.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
6. Cancellation due weather, 1Ks get hotel room with meals & transfers.
My experience as E35K is that AC does this

As for the rest of your post, I mostly agree.

Free Aeroplan changes please
Old May 20, 2014, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My experience as E35K is that AC does this

As for the rest of your post, I mostly agree.

Free Aeroplan changes please
No that was an exception made. AC is not under any obligation to provide hotels/meals for things outside their control. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen from time to time, but its not a published benefit. YMMV.

Last edited by kwflyer; May 20, 2014 at 11:46 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IKK has had to evolve over the years like our top tier program to meet both the needs of our best customers as well as AC. When first introduced in the mid 90s it was relatively straight forward. Once credit card affinity cards became part of the program IKK in its initial form was not sustainable (eg spend 20K on AC but derive 100K in free travel). Our ability to find solutions is complicated by our unique relationship with Aimia/Aeroplan and the tri-party AC/AP/credit company accumulation programs. For our best customers we continue to offer improved redemption capacity on all routes in all classes.
Agree that IKK as originally conceived became unsustainable when people started to accumulate large numbers of points on credit card purchases.

Could you not grandfather current miles but going forward tie full IKK to be used with AQM miles only?
Old May 20, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Getting 100% AQM on Flex fares should be a reasonable expectation

Dear Ben and Ben,

Today when I book a Flex flight with a connection on LH or UA, typically I'm getting at best 50% AQM on the codeshare flight even though if I had credited to Mileage Plus I'd get 100% miles. IIRC other partners can be zero!

What can you do properly "align" with your codeshare partners so that when we are pay a premium to earn 100% AQM we actually receive what we as consumers think AC is promising.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:47 am

With YULCDG being the 2nd largest international route to/from Canada we felt it necessary to design a product that would position us to win and grow in this very important market
While I can appreciate this, the product, combined with the apparently new policy of only permitting J (not C, not D, not Z, as per the other thread) to prebook the single seats means that my revenue has gone elsewhere. As you note, France based flyers have many options (and frankly, they seem to be increasing this year). I have revisited mine, and chosen what works best for me. I do sincerely wish AC luck in increasing revenue on this route, but my revenue wont be contributing to it in future.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Yes, for E35 & E50 hands down.E75 limited

For SE100K no way.

All 3 major US carriers offer far better benefits.

As UA1k for a decade I can say UA1k benefits blow AC SE benefits out of water.
1. Can apply for upgrade @ time of ticketing subject to R being available. In fall UA refined their upgrade procedure. If a 1K is waitlisted, & historical data shows 3 /4 weeks before there will be J available on day of departure, IM clears the upgrade. I have had several upgrade clear 4 weeks prior on most popular routes. SYD-SFO/LAX . HKG-SFO, SFO-FRA. Transcon From SFO-to East coast Hubs. Award waitlist clearing on Christmas period to & from Australia in J & F in saver awards. Similar to when AC SE offered 1KK .

2. No change fees for confirmed change 24 hours prior to the flight or same day including international on any published fare.

3. No fees to change or cancel award bookings. Numerous times I have had to change same award booking 3-4 times, & have paid not a penny.

4. As Million miller I can gift *Gold.
5.SWU earned have 12 months expire from the day earned, unlike AC E-upgrades earned in Nov have shelf life of 3 months FEB of the following year.
6. Cancellation due weather, 1Ks get hotel room with meals & transfers.
7. Equipment not working in flight, travel certs with value from 200.00 to 400.00 for 1Ks including IFE. With AC 5% of base fare if lucky, most of the time nada including long haul flights.
Contrary to recent posts on United forum, the New United has given me & continue to give me fantastic customer service. I have posted this on UA forum.

Above a few of the benefits that come to mind. There are others.

As I have posted many times on this forum & UA Forum; if there comes a time when my travel is reduced and I have to choose between
AC SE or UA1k, no brainer UA1K. In a heartbeat,

Delta & AA from feedback I am getting from AC SE who have taken advantage of Comp status to DELTA's Diamond & AA Top Tier, the benefits are similar to United 1K & way better than what they received in the past couple of years.
Same here after years of getting double status I have just a few months ago bailed from AC. Reality is I gave up on SE status many years ago, but often tossed AC some bones to get 35/50k status.
1K is a far better option. And at 1MM you gift the status you have 1k not gold
someone earlier in this thread asked for 2MM to be improved at Air Canada. YYZPRINCESS, how does UA and AC 2MM compare.
I have also decided to abandon AC even thought I have 800k in lifetime miles. I guess I am going to go for UA 2MM because I am at 1.6MM, amazing because I have at least 8 1k that were all SE's.
Ben you are losing way to many SE customers with all these cuts. If a person is not stuck flying in Canada the other airline programs kill AC SE. The other thing I think AC forgets, every lost SE takes a lot of customers with them.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by The Lev
Agree that IKK as originally conceived became unsustainable when people started to accumulate large numbers of points on credit card purchases.

Could you not grandfather current miles but going forward tie full IKK to be used with AQM miles only?
I agree. We who fly should not be competing with the credit card point chureners.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
BA 744s are currently being retired.
True, but with 47 active 744s in service, they'll be around until 2020. BA is introducing a new F cabin with the 787-9 and a new Club World cabin is expected for this as well. Who knows what the playing field will look like when the A350s come on board. I'm more concerned about the here and now!
Old May 21, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Dear Bens - thanks for being here. This is less a question, and more tough love for you to take to your commercial strategy folks. Of course, any feedback welcome.

I'm the sort of customer you really want to be loyal. 250k+ annual butt-in-seat miles (ranging from 200-450k in a given year, across all airlines), vast majority in paid J. Many trips booked last minute and/or changed while en route, therefore very price insensitive (my travel is sufficiently complicated that no one bothers trying to optimize cost). But you've lost my loyalty. I haven't flounced off - I still fly you when it's most convenient (which is often) and I value your product, both in the air and the concierges. But I've lost any bias to send you my $$ vs someone else (other *A or OW). Here's why.

a) I genuinely value Aeroplan miles for personal travel for me and my family. For reasons I commercially understand, you have watered down their value, just as competitors have watered down their FF miles as well. However, the combined effect of redemption mileage increases, co-pays (YQ), watered down IKK, loss of BATCAT means that for me Aeroplan miles have had an implied annual "inflation rate" of nearly 20% since I started travelling so much back in 2005/06. I currently have over a million miles in my Aeroplan account, no credit cards, all from flying (over 3 million lifetime *A). With that level of value reduction, and more to come I am sure, I just can't get that excited about accumulating more. When I stop travelling so much for work in a few years, I can no longer trust I'll be able to meaningfully use them. So it's not a bad idea for me to spread my flying around, accumulating also on UA, AA, DL. I'm sure they will erode in value as well, but at least I'll be diversified.

b) While I was chasing 1MM status, it made sense to prefer AC. *G/E50K for life was worth something, even if actual accumulated miles are losing value. Your pods were best in class. But 1) watered down/costly upgrades for E50K (doesn't matter to me much now, but will when I "retire"), 2) the lack of a meaningful 1.5MM and 2MM uptick, 3) rouging of many interesting vacation destinations (so I'll prefer to fly someone else to get there when I do go) together mean that now that I have 1MM there's little incentive to be AC-loyal going forward. While I fly madly for work, it doesn't matter - I know I'll easily make SE100K anyway, and there are many more flat-bed options than there used to be. When I stop flying for work, the extra I throw AC's way now won't matter.

I completely understand you've had to do some of these things. Just letting you know it has had consequences for people like me. Back when I could BATCAT my wife on a couple of trips a year, IKK my dad to come visit us from Europe in J -- all for a few hundred $ in genuine fees, not $1000 in co-pay -- and plan to draw down my Aeroplan balance with an occasional trip to Hawaii in flat beds when I retire, you did have pretty strong loyalty from me. Now I'm a just a friendly free agent.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:31 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Hello Bens,

Just a quick thanks for taking the time to do this. I appreciate learning more about the decisions and how they are made. I understand that most people here are asking questions that involve their personal needs/wants. Its great for me to get a better understanding of the goals on a corporate level. Makes more sense of many decisions.

I hope you continue to do this, and I hope people here appreciate the uniqueness of having quasi-direct access to high level execs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.