Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Smith
I'm lucky to work with some of the best and most professional people in the industry. Most of us love what we do and strive to offer our customers the highest levels of service. If you ever come across any of our staff or third party representatives that fail to live up to our brand promise please PM me the details and I'll ensure the issue gets addressed.
From todays Globe article...

That’s important for addressing the brand’s biggest challenge here at home. JWT’s research found 81 per cent of domestic business travellers prefer to fly the airline, but said it lacked a “human” side – ranking below WestJet and Porter for people who thought “the airline is genuinely interested in me.” Air Canada’s brand identity is strong, but needs softening so consumers can feel closer to it, according to the research.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by D582

- For ex-USA, will we see mobile BP once AC can issue TSA compliant digitally signed mobile BP?

- Can AC work to improve its Passbook BP on iOS so that it dynamically updates with gate changes, seat number changes, and boarding/departure time changes? (UA's Passbook BPs do this).
That would solve my issue of no Check-in attendants as well.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
Not really. AC is the ticketing carrier and in many cases is ticketing on behalf of other carriers (in whole or in part). AP's relationship is with AC and AC's relationship is with rest of star alliance. Nothing to say that AC is charged YQ by the operating carriers and passes this cost to AP.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by tireman77
Espresso! Thank you! thank you, thank you.
mmmmmmmm, espresso.... I'm sorry, but that alone will increase my loyalty
Old May 19, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Stranger
I don't think Aeroplan has any kind of relationship with the "operating carrier." They buy their tickets from AC, period.

And I am sure quite cheap too, since they sell miles at around 0.8 cents. So a Y ticket to Europe, $480. You seriously expect AC to sell them many tickets at that price?

Plus, given the tons of miles they sell to CCs and the likes, surely they need to buy quite a few tickets.
For what it's worth, the following is stated in AC's Annual Report (http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/in...ts/2013_ar.pdf) page 7:

"Through its long-term relationship with Aimia Canada Inc. (formerly Aeroplan Canada Inc. and referred to as “Aeroplan” in this MD&A), Air Canada’s loyalty program provider, Air Canada is able to build customer loyalty by offering those customers who are Aeroplan® members the opportunity to earn Aeroplan® Miles when they fly with Air Canada and with the 27 other Star Alliance® member airlines. Aeroplan is also Air Canada’s single largest customer.

(Bolding mine).
Old May 19, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC E50K (MM), BA Gold, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime), National Exec
Originally Posted by entropy
Welcome Ben!
It would be one thing if Rogue was priced cheaper than AC but it isn't, and our friends on the west coast are really getting hosed on the California flights. Not cool.
A personal welcome from me as well.

I think Entropy hit the mark for me - if AC wants to offer a chipper new brand with high-density, discount airline style seating (think Easyjet, Ryanair and that ilk in Europe), then so be it. But don't then turnaround and charge full pop for the seats. Cynically, at that point, it becomes nothing more than an exercise in saving operating costs because you are able to pay your in-flight personnel less.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fin 645
Aeroplan is also Air Canada’s single largest customer.

(Bolding mine).
I bet the net cash flow is from Aeroplan to AC too.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Rouge-Rouged?

Delete. Topic addressed on another thread.

Last edited by yul36; May 19, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Old May 19, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyquiet
<snip> I read on FT about things people do to "simply" contact AC, and I cannot. Like 1% of the population, I am deaf. <snip> Can you give me any hope?
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
I'll have to admit I'm not an expert in this field but your request sounds reasonable so let me see what we can do to better address your needs.
Thank you for responding and holding out hope. One problem we have when dealing with major corporations is that there are often internal company experts or consultants all too willing to take your money to itemize our needs for you, but they do not live with our experience and make up processes that are outdated and don't reflect our real experience. (Other example I mentioned in another thread, FAs are trained to approach occupants of seats noted as "deaf" on the manifest, and ask orally "can you lipread?" Well, I can lipread that, but don't count on me lipreading everything.) I wish process designers would listen to us rather than having our needs represented by these agents. I would be more than happy to share my 2c at any time, and I suspect most frequent flyers with disabilities would as well.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by llbean
From todays Globe article...

... domestic business travellers prefer to fly the airline, but said it lacked a “human” side – ranking below WestJet and Porter
Are we talking front line staff -- aside from Rouge ("we wouldn't know a customer if we bumped into one") most do a great job. I think it's the execs and their decisions that cause such confusion.

I mean, really.

How can you do a mega-brand-relaunch as with the arrival of the 787, and have Rouge as a strategy at the same time?

Confusing.

Last edited by InTheAirGuy; May 21, 2014 at 10:11 am
Old May 19, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
I have a few questions of my own:-

1. Why does Air Canada not offer boarding music? I know the IFE system gives the option to play boarding music - why not use it? Boarding music not only makes the ambiance feel more sophisticated, but it will allow Air Canada to showcase Canada's emerging artists to the world. I am sure emerging artists will be more than happy to waive the royalties for a year - so really boarding music could be offered at no cost. In fact, the boarding music can be done as an annual competition or quarterly competition, and featured in an Air Canada album, downloadable on iTunes for a small cost, and show cased on the enRoute magazine. This would be similar to Air France who promotes their music. (see https://www.airfrance.fr/common/imag...mbiance_af.pdf )
I wondered this myself. LO plays Chopin-variation-esque music during boarding, which is calming to me.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Bolding mine.

Will not happen in the near future.

One of the several SE I know who do transpacific who moved over to Delta because UA would not Status Match & Delta is giving AC SE status match to Diamond pointed out to me today.
Delta effective March 2014 now allows their MD to upgrade from any published fare except E to J . Before March 2014 the lowest was M Class.

Now 2 of the 3 major US carriers are allowing their top tier FF to upgrade from the lowest published fare system wide. AA & DL.

From what I am hearing from AC SEs who have moved their International Travel to Delta , DL NA both Soft & Hard product is comparable if not better than AC. AC 77L are showing their age as one pointed out to me.
If you fly QF now, than you seem to be happy to transit through NA.
You may want to look @ Delta as an option.
SYD-LAX they fly 777 lie flat bed newer than AC & ample single seats.
LAX-JFK they fly 767 with lie flat beds with single seats.

Most important YYZ-JFK-LAX-SYD RT runs between $2100-2300.00 & upgradeable @ time of ticketing subject to upgrade space being available. AC is $4000+ for lowest flex V.

Another important detail Canadians are exempt from minimum spend with Delta.
Also CX offers similar pricing from time to time for that itinerary in V (earns 100% mileage with CX) and allows a free side trip (on certain contract fares-OK, not really 100% free as you still have to pay the HK$386 YQ.)
Old May 19, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: None no more
AC 98 & 99

Hope you see this Ben Smith and are able to comment.

Any plans to switch this to Rouge?
Have bought two business class trips for 2015 so far, would be a customer for more if the route remains with lie-flat J.

Also, would love to see a Latitude S. America flight pass.

Last edited by zackery149; May 19, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Old May 19, 2014, 8:18 pm

For YYZ luggage claims (domestic), are there anything being done about the slowness of getting luggage on to the baggage claim area? it's one of the worst airports for luggage claims and one reason why I hate checking luggage to YYZ

Also at least in YYC there is a countdown timer estimating the time it will take for luggage to arrive. Can that be implemented in YYZ?
Old May 19, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Okay, Bens...my turn for a Q.

Having been demoted from a full fledged Elite a few years ago to a mere 35% Elite today for more or less the same amount of traveling, the message received and understood by many of us is that in AC's estimation we were overvalued and needed to be reset. The question is, are we done now, or is the intent to offload us completely?

Supplemental question: I'm pretty much done as an AC loyalist. I have no idea how many other demoted Es are in the same situation. Does it matter to AC? Can I expect any kind of olive branch to get me back?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.