Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I actually really like this, and I'd put E35K in group 3.

SE and J (the "best" customers) board first. Then *G, then "people we promised priority boarding to", then everyone else.

SGTM
+2^
Old May 21, 2014, 10:44 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Silvercity
+2^
+3 - I really do prefer UA's groups, especially with the pre-set lineups. It means you can line up early or wait for the call, without (generally) crowding the podium, group everyone in the same line regardless of status, or blocking the exit lane for deplaning. I say generally, as I know it varies per airport, what aircraft is used, etc., but it's a sane order that I prefer.

Also agree with separating out the paying business and SE's who are giving their business to AC, although I may be a little biased.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Exclamation

Thanks for the suggestions on how to improve this thread - they have been heard. However the current format is the one chosen by the AC reps. That's not to say a different format may be implemented at some point.

It would obviously be appreciated if FTers could avoid off-topic posts and minimize back-and-forth discussions which are more appropiate in other threads.

Thanks,

Jasper2009
Air Canada Moderator
Old May 21, 2014, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I paid more for a night at a 3* Courtyard this past weekend in Vegas (Billboard Music Awards in town) than I paid at Ritz Carlton Naples on a relatively quiet November weekend.
Why should Rouge prices not be subject to similar market forces? What are you saying, exactly?
Rouge is subject to market forces in Canada and therefore will be very expensive vs flying in USA as an example.

Reality is anyone flying an AC 777HD should be warned when booking about horrid seats/lack of washrooms, and no space in bins for y customers before they purchase. Lets hope Transport Canada forces the issue.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I paid more for a night at a 3* Courtyard this past weekend in Vegas (Billboard Music Awards in town) than I paid at Ritz Carlton Naples on a relatively quiet November weekend.
Why should Rouge prices not be subject to similar market forces? What are you saying, exactly?
can anyone argue against the point made that the budget brands in a hotel chain are categorically designed to offer travelers a "budget" price hotel stay? A one-off comparison of a single evening notwithstanding, a night's stay at a Ritz-Carlton will always cost more than a night's stay at that chain's "budget" or "downscale" roof.

More to the point, Ben(s), is that the comments you are hearing is that you've created a budget model for you without the convenient by-product of creating a budget model for PAX. I applaud your attempts to try and bring AC out of the red, but don't try and convince pax that it's a good deal to book ROUGE for the same price as what the former mainline version of that flight once cost.

However, if you were to offer a genuine stand-alone LCC, with it's own booking engine, infrastructure, etc..., then the comparison would be valid. Oh wait, that wouldn't work as it wouldn't pencil... So, we are left with the very unsatisfying hybrid model. And it is very unsatisfying because the move to Rouge has upside on only one side of the equation.

And for the record, I have just booked 2 returns on EVA for March 2015 in J at $5150 vs $7243 for AC. I know about the pros and cons of this decision, but frankly, I'm happier to see EVA get my 10K than AC, and I'll still collect my QM. I don't even pay for my own tickets, but after getting hosed on a flight pass that went ROGUE, it feels good to let my money talk instead of just whining.

However, I do appreciate the BENS standing on the firing line.

Last edited by tcook052; May 21, 2014 at 3:17 pm Reason: edit personal comments
Old May 21, 2014, 12:53 pm

I heard unofficially that the 20 E90s leaving the fleet as part of the 737 deal are being replaced in the near term with leased 320s/321s, any details on when/if this will happen? Would they get the XM interior to avoid a 763 amigos-situation (you must have lots of Airbus seats sitting around after all the Rouge conversions...)?

Also wondering about near term YWG expansion plans. WS serves many sun destinations nonstop from YWG (PSP, MCO, LAS, PHX, PVR, SJD, CUN, MBJ) while AC just ended 1/3 sun destinations (PUJ) last year. Any chance of us being able to expect fewer YYZ transfers when we head south now that you have Rouge? Connecting using AC mainline instead of WS nonstop was competitive for me before, but to now connect in YYZ/YVR/YYC just to hop on a Rouge plane... not so much.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
To play the devil's advocate, if I had priority boarding as a benefit and then found I was the 3rd or 4th group to board, I would be royally peeved and feel I no longer had priority boarding!
Old May 21, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Ben Smith, if you are still listening: it is high time to start treating YVRYEGYYC as a rapid air environment like YYZYOWYUL and permit free same day standby. There seems to be tons of local business traffic on these routes, and lots of people that do there and back same day. In which case changes are frequent. It drives me bananas that I have to pay a $75 SDC in YEG just to get back home to YYC one hour sooner than I originally booked. Especially when AC provides a better quality of service for essentially the same scenario on the Eastern business travel routes.

Last edited by Jasper2009; May 21, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Old May 21, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
Our mainline model is not sustainable in leisure markets with limited or no business demand. Rouge is designed specifically around these markets and what the current yield environment can support. Rouge can profitably operate on these types of routes, mainline cannot. You will continue to see Rouge re-enter markets mainline has had to abandon and you will also see rouge increase capacity on some routes where mainline could only serve a fraction of the market.
a few early examples
YYZ-DUB (now year-round)
YYZ-MAN/EDI/VCE YUL-BCN/NCE new or resurrected routes
YYC/YVR-PHX new or expanded service
So really there is no benefit to the typical leisure traveler to chose Rouge over, well, any other carrier. Prices are no lower than anyone else and the travel experience is certainly no better than anyone else.

Rouge seems to exist only as a tool for AC profitability and not as a true low cost alternative for the leisure traveler. You are simply offering mainline prices while giving far less comfort than mainline travellers receive. Why would I ever choose Rouge?

Last edited by OttawaMark; May 21, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old May 21, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I heard unofficially that the 20 E90s leaving the fleet as part of the 737 deal are being replaced in the near term with leased 320s/321s, any details on when/if this will happen? Would they get the XM interior to avoid a 763 amigos-situation (you must have lots of Airbus seats sitting around after all the Rouge conversions...)?

Also wondering about near term YWG expansion plans. WS serves many sun destinations nonstop from YWG (PSP, MCO, LAS, PHX, PVR, SJD, CUN, MBJ) while AC just ended 1/3 sun destinations (PUJ) last year. Any chance of us being able to expect fewer YYZ transfers when we head south now that you have Rouge? Connecting using AC mainline instead of WS nonstop was competitive for me before, but to now connect in YYZ/YVR/YYC just to hop on a Rouge plane... not so much.
Something is going on with the E90s because both YEG-YUL and YEG-YOW have been up gauged from their usual E90 to an A320
Old May 21, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by danapop
Something is going on with the E90s because both YEG-YUL and YEG-YOW have been up gauged from their usual E90 to an A320
Maybe for the additional TATL traffic?
Old May 21, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by OttawaMark
Rouge seems to exist only as a tool for AC profitability and not as a true low cost alternative for the leisure traveler. You are simply offering mainline prices while giving far less comfort than mainline travellers receive. Why would I ever choose Rouge?
Of course. I figured it out within few minutes of going on AC website & seeing YYZ-DUB-YYZ was just slightly less than YYZ-LHR-DUB-LHR-YYZ.
Ditto for checking other Rouge TALT destination.

YVR-LAX/SFO rouged is no less than pre-rouge.

I am surprise so many savvy FTalkers on this board are buying into AC's spin that rouge is expanding to serve the leisure market & not as a tool for AC profitability.

I have been given assurance YYZ-LHR will not go to Sardine Can. Do I believe it? just as I believe in Santa Claus & Tooth fairy.

Moving forward I will no longer book any flights in advance in case I get rouged or end up in Sardine Can

Only AC flights I will book would be 7-14 days. Any advance bookings will go to United or other *A carrier.

Last edited by yyzprincess; May 21, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Old May 21, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by yyzprincess

I have been given assurance YYZ-LHR will not go Slave Ship. Do I believe it? just as I believe in Santa Claus & Tooth fairy.
I remember when people on this very forum with "connections" to AC would get all worked up, deny, and then laugh at people that suggested that AC will put Tango fares on "core business" routes such as YYZ-NYC.....
Old May 21, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I remember when people on this very forum with "connections" to AC would get all worked up, deny, and then laugh at people that suggested that AC will put Tango fares on "core business" routes such as YYZ-NYC.....
It's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. It's easy to put Tango fares on "core business" routes. It's difficult to expand the routes serviced by the "slaveships" when there are only 5 in the fleet
Old May 21, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ridefar
Ben Smith, if you are still listening: it is high time to start treating YVRYEGYYC as a rapid air environment like YYZYOWYUL and permit free same day standby. There seems to be tons of local business traffic on these routes, and lots of people that do there and back same day. In which case changes are frequent. It drives me bananas that I have to pay a $75 SDC in YEG just to get back home to YYC one hour sooner than I originally booked. Especially when AC provides a better quality of service for essentially the same scenario on the Eastern business travel routes.
+1 and amen, ridefar! This is the number 1 question that I wanted to ask our Ben-Santas after reading the hundreds of replies to this thread. I've thoroughly enjoyed the hassle free and SDC free environment out East and feel it is ideally suited as per the post above. I'd even accept just YYC-YEG as a start. Puhleeeeze, I have been a really good SE this year.

BTW, thanks for professionally engaging us at FT. You've more than stepped up to the task and your tone/demeanour is spot-on for us faithful AC status monkeys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.