Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old Mar 11, 20, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
To prevent thread drift and separation, this is a consolidated thread to document all A3 actions/issues/solutions etc related to the COVID-19 virus. Several previously raised threads have been consolidated into this one. Others where the information and/or advice is now outdated because of the speed at which events move have been closed.

Please use this thread to document actions related to A3 only. General COVID-19 discussions should be made in the dedicated FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This is your wiki, so please feel free to populate it with useful information as it emerges and evolves.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old May 14, 20, 12:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by powergean View Post
Thanks! But in thes case, i am sure, then 90% of the people alredy got the voucher, after the greek government said, that no cash refund, only voucher. I dont belive, that many people going to the court.....So the airline is still the winner.
It depends on what you mean by winner. If losing the trust of thousands of potential customers (exactly when you are trying to kick-start the business) is being a winner, then I doubt it will bring happy results. Once the vouchers have been redeemed, will those passengers come back?
Old May 14, 20, 4:11 am

i am sure, passangers will come back, because Aegean is a top airlines. Not easy to found better, connect Greece with other countrys.Plus most of the other airlines has the same policy with refunds and vouchers.
Old May 14, 20, 5:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
i am sure, passangers will come back, because Aegean is a top airlines. Not easy to found better, connect Greece with other countrys.Plus most of the other airlines has the same policy with refunds and vouchers.
Other companies are also pushing vouchers, but tell me one other airline that is flatly refusing to - or even talk about - giving refunds?

It comes to something when even Ryanair are behaving in a more ethical way. There are a lot of things I really like about Aegean, but regarding their legal obligations during this pandemic, they have really done themselves no good.
East_and_West likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
Other companies are also pushing vouchers, but tell me one other airline that is flatly refusing to - or even talk about - giving refunds?

It comes to something when even Ryanair are behaving in a more ethical way. There are a lot of things I really like about Aegean, but regarding their legal obligations during this pandemic, they have really done themselves no good.
KLM
Old May 14, 20, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
KLM
+ All lufthansa group, Ryanair also, since last month, Wizzair, Tap.......15 countrys going against the europian decision, The court will keep mutch longer, then one year:-))
Old May 14, 20, 8:55 am

+ All lufthansa group, Ryanair also, since last month, Wizzair, Tap.......15 countrys going against the europian decision, The court will keep mutch longer, then one year:-))

Austrian Website:

Wizzair website:

Lufthansa are also giving refunds, but you have to insist (I have a refund being processed now). Michael O'Leary from Ryanair has publicly stated that they will refund anyone who wants money back, and their website also has the usual refund function. TAP are offering vouchers with a 20% bonus, but they will refund if you push them hard.

So stop spreading false information - like Aegean aren't breaking EU law!

KLM I did not know about.
Old May 14, 20, 11:04 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
I can confirm that Lufthansa are giving refunds (or, more precisely placing you in their refund queue) if one is persistent enough. It took me three back and forths, but it was doable. SAS had no problem to refund two cancelled TATL return tickets within a week, and placing me in the queue for refunding my cancelled short-haul flights.

A3 on the other hand haven't even replied to my communication. I have contacted them twice after filing my request, and still no word from them. As a loyal customer I believe that at least I deserve a reply.

The worst part is them uprightly lying to me. When I first called around March 20th to request a refund for two cancelled RT tickets, I was told that they were not issuing any refunds since March 11th, the date when WHO declared a pandemic. After arguing that this claim had no legal, contractual, or even logical basis, I reminded the phone agent that just a couple of days ago they had agreed to refund me a cancelled flight. At that point the agent admitted that this was what they had been told to reply, and could do absolutely nothing about it. She then advised me to contact customer service through their online form. I realized that nothing would come out from giving a hard time to that overwhelmed agent, so I thanked her, hang up and wrote to A3. And guess what... Still no reply, even after writing again to them a second time, and contacting them on the phone.

Withholding your customers' money against the law is one level of abhorrent corporate malpractice. Attempting to work your way around it by trying to trick your top-tier customers with childish lies, and then completely ignoring them, takes it to a whole new level. Normally I would be furious at any company for that, but when it comes to Aegean I just feel annoyed and disappointed, perhaps because I expected them to be much better that. As much as I like flying A3, I think it would be hard for me to recommend them to anyone from now on.
Old May 14, 20, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
Withholding your customers' money against the law is one level of abhorrent corporate malpractice. Attempting to work your way around it by trying to trick your top-tier customers with childish lies, and then completely ignoring them, takes it to a whole new level. Normally I would be furious at any company for that, but when it comes to Aegean I just feel annoyed and disappointed, perhaps because I expected them to be much better that. As much as I like flying A3, I think it would be hard for me to recommend them to anyone from now on.
After reading some of the comments here over the last few days, I thought I'd see if it's true that they are ignoring customers. Yesterday I sent a DM on Twitter asking about refund options, they replied in just over an hour with the standard template response - we are offering vouchers, blah, blah. So I sent another message saying that I wanted a refund and not a voucher. Again they replied WITHIN an hour, the 2nd standard template response - the Greek state recently published a legislative act, blah, blah. I then sent a third message asking if Greece had exited from the European Union...No reply...not even after 2 subsequent messages. So this obviously is the tactic that they have chosen, to simply ignore anyone who refuses to accept vouchers.

So I completely agree with you
East_and_West, their general behaviour is quite abhorrent. I also expected much more from Aegean because for a long time I've considered their customer services to be exceptional. This pandemic has definitely shown them in a different light.
East_and_West likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
Austrian Website:

Wizzair website:

Lufthansa are also giving refunds, but you have to insist (I have a refund being processed now). Michael O'Leary from Ryanair has publicly stated that they will refund anyone who wants money back, and their website also has the usual refund function. TAP are offering vouchers with a 20% bonus, but they will refund if you push them hard.

So stop spreading false information - like Aegean aren't breaking EU law!

KLM I did not know about.
Dosent mater, what they saying, i have friends, they try to get them money back, more then 2 month, from wizzair and Ryan. Every second week companys sending them letter, offering vouchers. Not talking about the money.
Old May 15, 20, 12:42 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Unfortunately many companies are playing this dirty game. I have a voucher from Iberia. When my flight got cancelled I rang up and I was told that my only 2 options are a voucher or rebook. The website says that they do offer refunds... Also it looks like that LH group does not offer any refunds, at least Lufthansa and Swiss. Some countries have passed laws that a voucher is fine instead of a refund. Some companies are ignoring EU law and a very few small percentage of companies are actually offering a proper refund.
powergean likes this.
Old May 15, 20, 12:21 pm

I had 6 tickets for early April (all routeswwithin the EU), airlines concerned were LATAM, Lufthansa and Air Europa, all booked via OTA's, all canceled by mid-March. So far I've gotten either a "promise" or a "we'll start with the process but won't promise anything" for 4 of those tickets and heard nothing regarding the other 2. So far (about 2 months after my first request for refunds) I have received 0,00 refund.
For almost all the tickets I have at least once (mostly twice) received a response claiming "we're not responsible".
Just saying...
Also: I spent over 2 hours watching that press conference of the European commission the other day, that lady really got cornered by the journalists regarding the breach of the EU-wide law, but her response was even worse than Aegean's, constantly repeating herself with useless information, trying to dodge the question up to the point the moderator decided to exclude all similar future questions and basically trying to hide the issue under the carpet with a "plan" that will simply buy the airlines and states more time, before forcing refunds with sanction threats. However my feeling was that their embarrassment must have been such that they will be forced to take measures sooner than they planned or they risk total humiliation at the next press conference.
Old May 15, 20, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho View Post
I had 6 tickets for early April (all routeswwithin the EU), airlines concerned were LATAM, Lufthansa and Air Europa, all booked via OTA's, all canceled by mid-March. So far I've gotten either a "promise" or a "we'll start with the process but won't promise anything" for 4 of those tickets and heard nothing regarding the other 2. So far (about 2 months after my first request for refunds) I have received 0,00 refund.
For almost all the tickets I have at least once (mostly twice) received a response claiming "we're not responsible".
Just saying...
Also: I spent over 2 hours watching that press conference of the European commission the other day, that lady really got cornered by the journalists regarding the breach of the EU-wide law, but her response was even worse than Aegean's, constantly repeating herself with useless information, trying to dodge the question up to the point the moderator decided to exclude all similar future questions and basically trying to hide the issue under the carpet with a "plan" that will simply buy the airlines and states more time, before forcing refunds with sanction threats. However my feeling was that their embarrassment must have been such that they will be forced to take measures sooner than they planned or they risk total humiliation at the next press conference.
i think, they will do nothing, because they know exactly, that companys dont have the money, to refund tickets , before they start to make profit again. They also know, if they forcing them to pay now, they will not, or only if goverments giving money for that. 15 countrys are more then the half in EU, and they not stupid, to wote against them self, also they don want them own companys bankrupt , with millions of workers around Europe, and 1000 other reason.

Last edited by powergean; May 15, 20 at 1:25 pm
Old May 16, 20, 5:01 am

Programs: LH HON, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
If you paid for the flights by credit card there is always the option of a chargeback. I had a flight cancelled and the money was refunded through the bank within a few days.
Old May 16, 20, 5:19 am

Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Just wondering has the ability to online change flex fares been turned off. Have allways been able to change online before?
Old May 16, 20, 5:19 am

i dont know, in countrys, like Greece example, where the government protecting the companys, by thye low ( no cash refund, only voucher) , if the bank can chargeback your money. Some people said, in these forum also, that bank told them, after the new low, that better take voucher, not possible chargeback for cancelled flights.

Search this Thread