Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
To prevent thread drift and separation, this is a consolidated thread to document all A3 actions/issues/solutions etc related to the COVID-19 virus. Several previously raised threads have been consolidated into this one. Others where the information and/or advice is now outdated because of the speed at which events move have been closed.

Please use this thread to document actions related to A3 only. General COVID-19 discussions should be made in the dedicated FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This is your wiki, so please feel free to populate it with useful information as it emerges and evolves.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
The Greek government passed a law that basically allows airlines to issue vouchers, instead of refunds (i.e. the same as Germany did). It's only valid until September 30th.

I guess we are now lenders to the airlines - just don't expect any profit sharing later on Let's see if Aegean survives all this and if the government intends to bail it out (not so sure at this point).

Here's the article in Greek: https://money-tourism.gr/ekdothike-p...diataxeis-fek/

Edit: Notice the law is basically identical to Aegean's updated voucher terms, which were in place before the law was drafted.

Last edited by blackball; Apr 14, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: AF FlyingBlue Gold and AZ FrecciaAlata for ST, O6 Amigo for *A. Formerly AB Gold and TK Elite
Where to place next claims (I hope result will be refunds processed at least for refund claims initiated before new Greece regulation):

Necessary step, easy to do - Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority / Air Transport and International Affairs Division. Just forward to [email protected] refusal/talkabout which you got from OTA/Aegean, with request for full refund, according to article 8 E. C 261/2004 and article 3.2 of Commission Notice Interpretative Guidelines on E U passenger rights regulations in the context of the developing situation with covid-19.

For Greece citizens only, to place claim against new Greece regulation which contradicts with EC261/2004 - https://www.synigoros.gr/

For all of us mortal, against new Greece regulation which contradicts with EC261/2004
https://ec.europa.eu/assets/sg/repor...complaints_en/
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:11 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
While this is all correct, don't expect anything from this in order to help you:
before any of those contacts will act in your favor, you will have used your voucher or its refund already
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:55 am

20 flights!

I was due to get married in Greece in June, some 56 flights booked, so bit of a disaster.

For the band and my family, I've 26 flights booked for the end of June of which 20 of those are with Aegean.

The reschedule offer only allowed flights to be re-booked up to a flying date of 30 March 2021 so no good really. I'm going to wait it out, let that offer expire, and hope that the flights in June are cancelled and I have better options then.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Sapphire (BA Silver), Hilton Diamond
Ouch, that's quite a hit!

One option might be to move the flights to dates still available in mid May, I'm guessing that they will be cancelled pretty soon (up until May 13th were wiped out in the last few days). It's a gamble, but certainly more likely they will cancel flights in May than in June. As for refunds, well at the moment they are probably going to be hard to get without a mighty fight, but you'd get vouchers that would be valid for 18 months.

If they don't cancel the flights that you rebook in May, you could still move them again for free (if still in the same fare buckets) to later. The 'ZERO offer' of free rebooking with waived fare and rebooking fees finishes tomorrow, but you can still rebook with their general 'flexibility' offer after May, but you'd have to pay any fare difference.

Last edited by headingwest; Apr 15, 2020 at 8:04 am Reason: reworded for clarity
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Ok I finally decided a Voucher is the best option for us. Took 1 minute online to do it
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:30 am

@horseface45: First of all, welcome to FT! Then, just keep in mind that it is not only the (cancelled and not yet rebooked) flights that stand on the way to your wedding, but according to the present regulations all hotels are closed (only one city hotel per province capital is open) and churches will not perform weddings. Civil weddings in city halls can only be performed in the presence of the couple and two witnesses only. Finally, all restaurants are also closed and you can only take a ferry to an island if it is your home. Of course, some of these restrictions will be lifted by June, but there is no way you can plan anything concrete right now! That's the price we pay for having one of the best situations concerning this epidemic...
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Yeah, I haven't registered any flight activity in five years. I wonder if this expiry will be extended?
No word from A3 about this? (expring accounts and its miles due to inactivity)
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Grigoris
Today, I tried to rebook on November reservation PRG-ATH-PRG (fare classes S,K) which is scheduled for June after three previous rebookings .
Because both legs are upgraded to I with vouchers, agent asked for 100 EUR.
Should I try my luck with another agent?
Try to call the gold hotline. And check before if there is I availability on the new dates. Wasn't a problem for me to get rebooked for free and keep the upgrade. Now waiting for the 3000 Miles...
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:23 am

Policy extended to include bookings until July 31st, but now excludes August from the re-booking period, as well as award tickets, tickets upgraded with miles or coupons...!
https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/offers...933.1578211639

What's somewhat strange is that you still have about 14,5 hours to change tickets booked for flights until 30/6 to July (and/or August, among others) and then you can change these tickets again for free pretty much immediately!? Aegean is surely pretty quick about posting their updates on their zero-fees policy...

Last edited by giorginho; Apr 16, 2020 at 1:29 am
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:40 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Hmm this is a pity. I have various booking in June/July still, but all have been upgraded. I'm assuming that they exclude upgraded flights because of the fact that these cannot be rebooked online?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:54 am

EU621/2004 supersedes any EU national law so from a legal point of view if a flight is cancelled by the airline regardless of the reason one is entitled to a full refund.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by skaya
No word from A3 about this? (expring accounts and its miles due to inactivity)
A way to donate from 500 miles

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon..._CovidDonation

Not sure if this renders the acct active though. But in any case better than letting the miles expire.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:31 am

I find it quiet unfair from Aegean's side to be owing all of us money (refusing to give us cash and giving us vouchers instead) and wanting us to gift our miles... Very strange times we're living in.
headingwest likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Hmm this is a pity. I have various booking in June/July still, but all have been upgraded. I'm assuming that they exclude upgraded flights because of the fact that these cannot be rebooked online?
I would still say that there's a slight chance this exclusion would refer to the "bonus" miles one can get for the re-booking and not that actually all of those tickets (for example award tickets in May/June) can't be re-booked. They could have just been a bit too careless about the way they wrote that text (no * 's to point out what part exactly these exceptions refer to etc.). I don't have any such bookings currently, but someone who does could try a "dummy-rebooking" as of tomorrow for May-June flights or even today for July flights, just to double-check...

I probably won't be changing the tickets I do have, unless they release the S21 plan (and unless it's certain that flying this summer isn't a somewhat available or good option).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.