Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
To prevent thread drift and separation, this is a consolidated thread to document all A3 actions/issues/solutions etc related to the COVID-19 virus. Several previously raised threads have been consolidated into this one. Others where the information and/or advice is now outdated because of the speed at which events move have been closed.

Please use this thread to document actions related to A3 only. General COVID-19 discussions should be made in the dedicated FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This is your wiki, so please feel free to populate it with useful information as it emerges and evolves.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by johnirvine
Cancellation of a flight by an EU carrier within 14 days of a flight most certainly gives you the right to a refund plus, in normal cases, compensation; more than 14 days before, you are entitled to a refund only - please read the EU261 regulation and you will see that this is the case. However, it is one thing to possess a right and another thing to be able to exercise it. Most EU airlines are effectively insolvent and many will not be recapitalised. In the case of Aegean, the airline is so important for the Greek economy, in particular for tourism, that the government is unlikely to let it fail. In my opinion, holders of credit vouchers for unused tickets possess less legal rights than those with unmet EU261 claims. Consequently, I am refusing totally offers of credit vouchers for future flights from Aegean. So far, I have had two tickets refunded and none refused - you need to be persistent and correspond by e-mail rather that speak to an agent who has no real authority to make refund decisions.
Thank you for this tip. I will try it. In the meantime, I've contacted my bank, and initiated a request for the chargeback, since it will take a very long time to carry out. If A3 do the right thing, I will, of course, withdraw it.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
My award miles are set to expire May 7th, 2020. Will Aegean be extending the expiry of award miles?

Last edited by MDFFlyer; Mar 30, 2020 at 2:19 am
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:48 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
My award miles are set to expire May 7th, 2020. Will Aegean be extending the expiry of award miles?
M&B award miles do not expire per se; only your M&B account will be cancelled if you haven't registered any flight activity for quite some time (5 years I believe?). As long as you keep crediting to M&B even a single flight mile during that period, your award miles from 10 years ago or even older will remain active and good to use.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Just received the information of the status extension by email - so it's official.
The requalification date is also extended, so if you got the 6 months extra, you have then another 12 months from then to requalify:
  • For all the Silver and Gold members of our Miles+Bonus loyalty program whose tier expires from 31/03/2020, their tier will be extended for 6 months. Every member will have 18 months available - instead of 12 - in order to reach the rules, needed for their tier retain.
    If, for example, a Silver or Gold member’s tier expires on 30/11/2020, the new tier expiration date will be on 30/05/2021. Therefore, the period for the member to meet the criteria for tier retain will be 18 months, and specifically from 31/11/2019 until 29/05/2021.
  • For all the Silver and Gold members who have already accrued the requested number of miles for their tier retain, their tier is secured for 12 months post the extended tier expiration date.
    For example, a Silver or Gold member, whose tier expires on 30/11/2020 and is extended for 30/05/2021 and has accrued the requested number of miles for tier retain, his tier is secured until 30/05/2022.
  • For all Silver and Gold members that have already secured their tier up until 2022, no extension of tier duration will take place.

Some other very positive developments here: https://en.aegeanair.com/aegean-anno...gn=mb_Memories

Each Credit Voucher can be used in more than one bookings/transactions. Thus, if the new booking is of greater value than the Credit Voucher, then this should be credited instantly, and you will be asked to pay the difference. If the booking is of lower value, then the difference will remain as a balance in your Credit Voucher and you may use it in another booking.

The Credit Voucher is valid for bookings and flights that will take place within the next 18 months, from the date that the respective email with the promotional code was sent, only through aegeanair.com, olympicair.com and the AEGEAN app. After that time, and provided that the Credit Voucher has not been used in full or at all, you are eligible to request refund of the (remaining) unused amount paid for your initial booking.

I haven't checked whether this is also updated in the T&Cs (as in the prior ones, there was no reimbursement or continuous credit).
If that's the case, I might be willing to engage in this voucher option to provide them some cash flow, as I am sure I can use the amount over time.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by East_and_West
M&B award miles do not expire per se; only your M&B account will be cancelled if you haven't registered any flight activity for quite some time (5 years I believe?). As long as you keep crediting to M&B even a single flight mile during that period, your award miles from 10 years ago or even older will remain active and good to use.
Yeah, I haven't registered any flight activity in five years. I wonder if this expiry will be extended?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:15 am

Further to the discussion on refunding cancelled flights or issuing a voucher: The German federal government decided today that all payments for "contracts" concerning cancelled bookings will not be refunded but, rather, vouchers will be issued for the post-pandemic time. A new law will be presented to the Bundestag in the next few days that will take care of that.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KLouis
Further to the discussion on refunding cancelled flights or issuing a voucher: The German federal government decided today that all payments for "contracts" concerning cancelled bookings will not be refunded but, rather, vouchers will be issued for the post-pandemic time. A new law will be presented to the Bundestag in the next few days that will take care of that.
Not being funny, but is that relevant in regards to non-German destinations? Surely Aegean's tickets are not subject to German laws.

It's interesting to hear that the Bundestag puts big business before the legal rights of its citizens.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:36 am

A3 now offering free changes, zero-fare difference & award miles for ticket changes

Just received this in my inbox: Aegean are now offering free changes with zero-fare difference and bonus award miles for changing a ticket until April 8, 2020.

The original flight date has to be until May 31 and the re-booking process can be made online under manage my booking.
Blue & Silver members receive 2,000 award miles, Gold members receive 3,000 award miles per ticket change.

This is good news if you ask me - especially the fact that the fare difference is now waived too makes this quite interesting.

All details can be found here: https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/offers...no-extra-cost/

Last edited by nikolask; Apr 2, 2020 at 10:11 am
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KLouis
I guess that is another reason to avoid buying travel services more than a day or two before intended travel. Becoming an unsecured creditor to an airline nowadays is risky business, and its especially foolish at a time when individuals retaining cash is the safe approach to dealing with all the economic uncertainty on the horizon.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Not being funny, but is that relevant in regards to non-German destinations? Surely Aegean's tickets are not subject to German laws.

It's interesting to hear that the Bundestag puts big business before the legal rights of its citizens.
I did not post this in order to show relevance to "non-German" destinations nor because I think that Ar is subject to German laws but, rather, to show that vouchers seem to be the "solution" offered by many non-A3 related institutions too (from airlines to governments). As for the legal rights of German citizens (and not only them!), sorry, but I don't feel like getting into a discussion on this matter.
headingwest likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:08 pm

Damn aegean some of us already changed our ticket
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Now you can change your ticket online at no extra cost!
If you have a ticket with travel date until 31/05/2020, you can change it to any future date until 27/03/2021

- zero fare difference
- no rebooking fees
- 3,000 extra Miles+Bonus award miles

Valid for changes until 08/04/2020.
This is very interesting. Zero fare difference means that a cheap P flight could be rebooked to a busy summer travel day for free. Additionally this shows that they do not expect to operate many flights in May, and this may be their way to move as many people off those flights as possible - without having to issue refunds or vouchers, which they would have to if the flight were to be canceled.

In further news... ALL my bookings to/from KLX have just been canceled for May and June. Expertflyer notified me of the cancellations, Aegean has not yet. I have a couple of them through Aegean and one through LH (codeshare). Rebooking will be difficult... the only alternatives will likely be from ATH but thats exactly the trip that I wanted to avoid by flying from KLX. Also, most of these were upgraded with a coupon so it will be very hard to rebook to a day where it has upgrade availability
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:00 am

Does it also apply for new bookings? If I book a cheap A3 or OA flight for May 2020, will I be able to immediately move it to another date until 27/03/2021? I don't see any restriction regarding this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pinni
Does it also apply for new bookings? If I book a cheap A3 or OA flight for May 2020, will I be able to immediately move it to another date until 27/03/2021? I don't see any restriction regarding this.
You should be able to move the flight to a later date, but you won't get the Award Miles.

quote from Aegean ''The miles offer is not valid for rebooking of tickets originally issued after 31/03/2020''

Remember, this is about Aegean getting people to spend more, while trying to keep the money they already have!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
You should be able to move the flight to a later date, but you won't get the Award Miles.

quote from Aegean ''The miles offer is not valid for rebooking of tickets originally issued after 31/03/2020''

Remember, this is about Aegean getting people to spend more, while trying to keep the money they already have!
Well, your answer is not exact:

* First, the booking has to have been made before April 8, and
* You do get the normal award miles but not the additional ones.
* Lastly, how does the A3 deal/offer lead people to spend more? I'm not able to follow your logic!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.