Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
To prevent thread drift and separation, this is a consolidated thread to document all A3 actions/issues/solutions etc related to the COVID-19 virus. Several previously raised threads have been consolidated into this one. Others where the information and/or advice is now outdated because of the speed at which events move have been closed.

Please use this thread to document actions related to A3 only. General COVID-19 discussions should be made in the dedicated FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This is your wiki, so please feel free to populate it with useful information as it emerges and evolves.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:49 am

Look up-thread for your answer: lots of posts dealing with Aegean's decision to issue vouchers instead of refunding tickets. Also, take a look at Aegean's site where all of their policies are laid out.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
I did not post this in order to show relevance to "non-German" destinations nor because I think that Ar is subject to German laws but, rather, to show that vouchers seem to be the "solution" offered by many non-A3 related institutions too (from airlines to governments). As for the legal rights of German citizens (and not only them!), sorry, but I don't feel like getting into a discussion on this matter.
This is probably signalling that the German gov't will not let LH fail. Not sure this is the case for the Greek gov't, I hope it will be.

Having said that, it looks like A3 at least listened to us regarding the terms of the vouchers, even if super late, and even if they are still a kind of lending money to the airline. I started the process of getting refunded by my CC company, but I am reconsidering now. Not that I can take advantage of the extra miles and free rebooking without fare difference, but for sure I am happy this is being offered for others.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:30 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Does anybody have any experience with changing upgraded flights?

1. When the flight is canceled - what happens if the new date does not have upgrade availability? Note, flight is canceled thus not a voluntary change.
2. When the flight is canceled - what happens if the flight does not operate on the new dates, and you have to be routed to another city instead of direct? Can you maintain the upgrade on one of the segments?
3. When you use the new voluntary-changes policy but this cannot be done due to the upgrade. Will they allow changing it through the CS for free, maintaining the upgrade?
4. When you use the new voluntary-changes policy does the Fare code actually change to the lowest available, or is the original fare code maintained (even if no availability is shown)?

Has anybody tried any of these yet? I'll be trying to get these answered as they would be crucial to know for rebooking and upgrading my upcoming flights. As it stands now I have 13 flights canceled that need rebooking or canceling, about half of them upgraded in some way or another. I'd be looking to move to non-upgraded ones as far as possible out - or see to find ways to upgrade them.
To answer some of my own questions:

1. If new date has no I availability you would be put on the waitlist. If no availability the upgrade is lost.
2. When rerouted through another city you would have to pay the difference in taxes. Any upgrade you had done on the original flight would be lost.
3. You can make the free changes over the phone as well, it is not required to be online as per the official rules.

I don't yet know what happens if you were to buy a cheap P flight for May and then change it for free to a day in August which only has S class available. Would that make you ticket S so that it can be upgraded? Or would it remain P, or have some limitation that the original P rules are still applied.

What I did figure out regarding the current coupon policy:

When an itinerary is canceled/refunded to a voucher any upgrade that was done would be refunded back to the account where the coupon came from. It is not possible to transfer the upgrade to another flight if you don't have access to that account. The refunded coupon would be valid for 3 months.

I'm having major problems rebooking some of my canceled flights to KLX. Routes are either not being operated after spring (Dus-klx) or not usable as the flights were supposed to connect to KLM segments which don't operate after September (klx-muc vie-ath).

Not sure what to do. I'm wondering if maybe I should just ask for a voucher on all canceled flights, and simply book a business class award on the dates that I think that I may have to fly. Business class awards on A3 can always be moved or canceled for free right? That would probably exhaust my saved award miles, but give full flexibility at least..
Chiller3333 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Sometime it can take up to a day for the agent to send another e-mail with the e-ticket, and by then it will be listed in 'My Booking' and you are good to go.
Yes, P can rebook into any economy fare (I got an H!), but I don't know if that means they are eligible for upgrades with vouchers. Also I don't know if I will get miles for H instead of P!
2. When rerouted through another city you would have to pay the difference in taxes. Any upgrade you had done on the original flight would be lost.
3. You can make the free changes over the phone as well, it is not required to be online as per the official rules.
I don't yet know what happens if you were to buy a cheap P flight for May and then change it for free to a day in August which only has S class available. Would that make you ticket S so that it can be upgraded? Or would it remain P, or have some limitation that the original P rules are still applied.
(some parts of my post may concern one or the other)
It actually took about 12 hours (the 'maximum' the OTA was stating it could take) until I got the e-tickets for my 2 bookings. I then proceeded with the re-booking and got the first P fare re-booked into a Y fare! During the re-booking process I also noticed that:
a) the miles to be accrued were those corresponding to the new fare (!)
and
b) the re-booking could also be done on a ACB-routing (for example Europe to Athens via Thessaloniki) by paying an additional, "general", 10 Euro fee (so not exactly the full 'tax difference', but this applies only to the bookings for flights in May, that get re-booked according to this new waiver policy).

Then the re-booking process got a bit weird! My dates for the return flight did show availability in economy, with some V and L fares... BUT while attempting to re-book I was shown that "economy class is not available for this flight". Regardless, I was able to continue and still pay nothing, so I thought I'd check what fare it is trying to re-book me to. Did you guess it correctly? Yes, it showed J!
Did you think that meant ...business class, like I briefly did? Haha, seriously, people should stop referring to business class as "J", that's not a business class fare with Aegean! J is even the same fare category (regarding miles accrual) as V, which actually did have available seats if anyone tried booking "directly" on these dates! Anyway, I guess the "no eco available" just mean "you can't re-book into the V fare for this date, which is available to book 'directly' with cash" (to prevent confusion, my ticket could be re-booked into a V fare on another date, so I'm not sure what the exact issue was, but like I said, a couple of dates had the aforementioned "issue"), so now I got one Y and one J ticket (the J ticket also showed the miles for the J fare during re-booking, what will eventually actually get credited is still anyone's guess).
I repeated the whole process (booking with the same OTA and then re-booking for free) for my wife's tickets, only in this case her e-ticket came after just 6 minutes!
Now regarding what fare rules apply, I can only confirm what headingwest reported, that if I try to re-book the... already re-booked ticket, I must pay the fare difference and this time also the exact tax difference in accordance to the original fare I purchased (P). So my guess would be that regarding upgrades, again, P rules would apply (unfortunately, apart from bidding, I could only upgrade with miles, which can only be done by telephone, but I won't bother spending that much time on hold right now and even if I did, there's another factor working against me, that is that upgrades with miles require "flex" tickets, which I don't have, even if it was "Y" that "counted").

By the way, Aegean extended the "change May tickets for free" by 2 days, it now goes until April 10th.

PS. Getting stuff done online via "manage my booking" has been a very pleasant experience with Aegean, as opposed to the likes of Lufthansa, LATAM and Air Europa, with whom I also had tickets, issued by OTAs, for which I was able to do...... precisely nothing, zero, nada online, extremely little via phone and probably nothing via e-mail... we are now unwillingly and illegally-turned-legally creditors (and possibly sponsors!) of major airlines, whose worth is in the billions of $$.
PS2. I hope everything goes well from now on and we end up flying in the summer. These 4 tickets alone would have cost me at least twice as much (provided that I had booked with a different, cheaper airline, because Aegean would have been much more expensive).

Last edited by giorginho; Apr 6, 2020 at 12:02 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:58 am

it remains P, yes i know it shows different booking fare but if you try to upgrade they tell you you are not elligible. At least what i was told.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Sapphire (BA Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Anubis13
it remains P, yes i know it shows different booking fare but if you try to upgrade they tell you you are not elligible. At least what i was told.
I can confirm this. I called in on Saturday and as the agent didn't know the answer she put me in 'I' class and said she'd call me back on Monday when she'd found out to confirm. I noticed today that the flight had gone back into 'S' class, but she didn't call me back, naughty, naughty!

Interestingly, I've noticed in the past few hours that they have gutted out their lower fares in May, and I can also see flights dwindling down. So I guess a lot of people were booking the cheap days in May and switching them to peak flights. I think they should have knocked out the lower fares before announcing the free fare and fees waiver!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:32 pm

Interestingly, I've noticed in the past few hours that they have gutted out their lower fares in May, and I can also see flights dwindling down. So I guess a lot of people were booking the cheap days in May and switching them to peak flights. I think they should have knocked out the lower fares before announcing the free fare and fees waiver!
Interestingly, they still only did "half" the job! Return tickets with the return leg after May 31st are still eligible, and there are still plenty of P fares after May 31st :P :P
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:51 am

By the way this does not happen for my routes still P fare tickets exist

Last edited by Anubis13; Apr 9, 2020 at 5:23 pm
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:40 am

Sorry to hear that, but most european destinations ex-Athens (or vise-versa) still have P fares after May, a few of them even have T, U and S fares in May (Warsaw, Vienna,... I only looked up some cities from "A" and "B" per greek aplhabet :P). Intra-Greek destinations even have P fares in May (for example SKG and JKH, though I guess most won't) and certainly after May for the return leg. Anyway, there's still time until tomorrow for someone to book their desired.... fares :P. I only hope that if the travel-ban hasn't been lifted by the end of June, that we'll by then at least be given the chance to re-schedule again for next summer.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:04 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by giorginho
Now regarding what fare rules apply, I can only confirm what headingwest reported, that if I try to re-book the... already re-booked ticket, I must pay the fare difference and this time also the exact tax difference in accordance to the original fare I purchased (P). So my guess would be that regarding upgrades, again, P rules would apply (unfortunately, apart from bidding, I could only upgrade with miles, which can only be done by telephone, but I won't bother spending that much time on hold right now and even if I did, there's another factor working against me, that is that upgrades with miles require "flex" tickets, which I don't have, even if it was "Y" that "counted").

By the way, Aegean extended the "change May tickets for free" by 2 days, it now goes until April 10th.
Originally Posted by Anubis13
I can confirm this. I called in on Saturday and as the agent didn't know the answer she put me in 'I' class and said she'd call me back on Monday when she'd found out to confirm. I noticed today that the flight had gone back into 'S' class, but she didn't call me back, naughty, naughty!

Thanks all. I rebooked my April and May tickets for later this year. Also canceled one roundtrip that was in a fairly high fare class, and was connecting (both in and outbound) to KLM flights. Those 'self connect' itineraries are a bit too risky to me now, especially as any of the two airlines could easily cancel one of the flights later this year. Lets see when the A3 and KL vouchers will come in.

My DUS-KLX flights could not be rebooked for the summer season as this route is not operated over the summer. Only DUS-SKG-SKG is available but that means losing the upgrade. Weirdly enough late november, for just a few weeks, DUS-KLX does seem to operate. So I rebooked till those dates - and by then the S21 schedule should be available. I do believe that we are allowed one more free change on these pre-corona tickets, so by then I'll likely move these DUS-KLX flights to next year's spring time. Or use them. We'll see.

Lets see how flying will turn out to be the next months. It may be very minimal in the end. In a way not too bad - its a rare treat to not have to travel for more than a few weeks.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Sapphire (BA Silver), Hilton Diamond
https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/offers...ticket-online/

Xandrios and giorginho like this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:22 am

Nice, like super nice! Now I regret booking one of my return tickets separately for each way (there was already a chance I would need to change the first leg but not the second though so that's why), but I could change 3 out of 4 legs and get miles... however I wonder... right now I got tickets for June 27th. If I can fly then I'd rather fly and not waste 4 days of my summer vacation, just for 2000 miles (also, fares on July 1st would have been much cheaper to begin with, so no real gain there). Also, if I re-book for July 1st I may still need to re-book again :P....
I think it is way too soon to decide, I needed (and took advantage of) this promotion last time, but right now, not so much (of course Aegean could have some "insider info" regarding a possible extension of the travel ban into June).
edit: I also assume this new offer "releases" new cheap fares for people interested in booking a more expensive one after June 30th..

Last edited by giorginho; Apr 10, 2020 at 11:41 am
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:39 am

I changed a flight on from May to August on Tuesday, I guess I missed out again!

Last edited by headingwest; Apr 11, 2020 at 2:35 am
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:59 am

Thanks all. I rebooked my April and May tickets for later this year. Also canceled one roundtrip that was in a fairly high fare class, and was connecting (both in and outbound) to KLM flights. Those 'self connect' itineraries are a bit too risky to me now, especially as any of the two airlines could easily cancel one of the flights later this year. Lets see when the A3 and KL vouchers will come in.
Today, I tried to rebook on November reservation PRG-ATH-PRG (fare classes S,K) which is scheduled for June after three previous rebookings .
Because both legs are upgraded to I with vouchers, agent asked for 100 EUR.
Should I try my luck with another agent?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Why could they have not done this April 30, 2021 like LH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.