Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
To prevent thread drift and separation, this is a consolidated thread to document all A3 actions/issues/solutions etc related to the COVID-19 virus. Several previously raised threads have been consolidated into this one. Others where the information and/or advice is now outdated because of the speed at which events move have been closed.

Please use this thread to document actions related to A3 only. General COVID-19 discussions should be made in the dedicated FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This is your wiki, so please feel free to populate it with useful information as it emerges and evolves.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Old May 12, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by powergean
,,The Commission will also recommend that vouchers are covered by member states" , Yes, after the voucher expiry date is ower. In case the company go bankrupt. So 12 month no cash refund, in all Europe.
It does not mean that at all. Their recommendations are not legally binding, they have not changed the law. EC261/2004 states refunds must be given if requested, Aegean is breaking EU laws.
the810 and nini_su like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: A3*G, LH*FQTV
Originally Posted by headingwest
They have not said that airlines can refuse to give cash refunds.
Precisely! No matter what the Commission's statement on Wednesday will include, the Commission has no legal authority to change anything about air passenger rights on their own and neither do individual member states. They know that, so what they intend to do is find a voucher solution that is good enough for customers to take it despite having the option for reimbursement. No need to panic! Surely you'll understand that people who feel confusion about what rights they have and how to enforce them are more likely to be ambushed, so it is not in anybody's interested to spread doubts.

EC261/2004 – the air passenger rights regulation – is an EU regulation, meaning it's a law that is directly valid in all EU member states and cannot be contradicted by national laws. It can only be changed or replaced on an EU level, involving all three major institutions (European Commission, Parliament and Council). If the Commission wanted to change this law, this would have to follow the normal process, meaning months or years of deliberation between the European Parliament (which already signaled that it would be against any attempts to water down current consumer protection levels) and the Council (representing member states). That means, unless they all agree to change the law, you have all rights defined in the regulation, no matter what your government or the Commission or anyone else says or does. If your airline doesn't honor their legal obligations, you have access to all normal redress mechanisms such as turning to the enforcement body defined in Article 16 of the regulation or, of course, going to court.
the810 likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:36 am

I dont think, that way anybody will start court first against his own govertment, after agains Eu , paying loyers, and waitig for any results for 5-6 years:-)) Easyer tou take the vocher, or the monye after 1 year.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I dont think, that way anybody will start court first against his own govertment, after agains Eu , paying loyers, and waitig for any results for 5-6 years:-)) Easyer tou take the vocher, or the monye after 1 year.
That may well be true, but what you said earlier was incorrect.

Not breaking europian low, from today. Eu comission said 12 month only voucher, not cash refund.
Aegean Airlines is breaking European law, that is a fact.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:53 am

That may well be true, but what you said earlier was incorrect.

Aegean Airlines is breaking European law, that is a fact.
Ok, deal!:-))
Old May 12, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Is Aegean still refusing refunds if they cancelled the flight? If so I'll just chargeback.

Called Aegean and they dont admit the flights are cancelled even though they dont show up on their own website anymore at all and neither in ExpertFyer. They keep saying the flights are operating but are full. is this a weird attempt at delaying the refunds by not admitting its cancelled? How does one get notified when a flight is cancelled?

On another subject, I came across two unprofessional agents on the Gold line, one claiming a flight was zeroed out (it wasnt and another agent was able to book me on it) and another (male agent for the first time at Aegean center) outright yelling at me to the point I hung up. I think this airline is showing its true colors. TK is looking a lot better. They may have their own issues but no one has yelled at me there. Just a yucky experience.

Last edited by asnovici; May 12, 2020 at 11:13 am
Old May 12, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by asnovici
Is Aegean still refusing refunds if they cancelled the flight? If so I'll just chargeback.

Called Aegean and they dont admit the flights are cancelled even though they dont show up on their own website anymore at all and neither in ExpertFyer. They keep saying the flights are operating but are full. is this a weird attempt at delaying the refunds by not admitting its cancelled? How does one get notified when a flight is cancelled?

On another subject, I came across two unprofessional agents on the Gold line, one claiming a flight was zeroed out (it wasnt and another agent was able to book me on it) and another (male agent for the first time at Aegean center) outright yelling at me to the point I hung up. I think this airline is showing its true colors. TK is looking a lot better. They may have their own issues but no one has yelled at me there. Just a yucky experience.

It may be better for you to transfer over to TK. When you get a taste of their ground services maybe you will feel better.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
It may be better for you to transfer over to TK. When you get a taste of their ground services maybe you will feel better.
I have been flying with TK quite a bit and agree, their ground services are not amazing. But A3 is not any better. TK agents never yelled at me (even if the agents can be equally clueless like on A3). If one is persistent with TK agents, things will get done. With A3 its more often than not a stone wall of unwillingness to help in my experience.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:45 pm

I am afraid that if I requested for a refund or a chargeback A3 may take my miles and shut my account.
This speaks volumes about A3. Wow
Old May 12, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by asnovici
This speaks volumes about A3. Wow

Not really, I have been them for almost 10 years, it is a great airline and I never had an issue in the air or on the ground.
powergean likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Still they beat Air France, which hasn't even acknowledged my voucher request so far (apparently that is typical for them).
At the risk of going OT, having had 2 AF vouchers issued so far, that has not been my experience.

The first was for a ticket for which I was informed on March 27 of the cancellation; I immediately requested the voucher, received a confirmation of the request 2 days later, and the voucher itself on March 30. That was handled by the Platinum Service line, which may explain the quick turnaround.
The second was for a ticket for which I was informed on April 16 of the cancellation; I immediately requested the voucher, received an automated "Waiting times may be longer than usual" reply the same day, and the voucher itself on May 1.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Not really, I have been them for almost 10 years, it is a great airline and I never had an issue in the air or on the ground.
Why would you think they would retaliate by taking miles/closing your account then?

That is an escalation well above anything any airline would do for a simple refund request.
asnovici and powergean like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:35 pm

exactly!
Old May 12, 2020, 1:37 pm

Exactly!
Old May 12, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
It does not mean that at all. Their recommendations are not legally binding, they have not changed the law. EC261/2004 states refunds must be given if requested, Aegean is breaking EU laws.
are you gonna sue cash vs voucher?

unless you'r a bored lawyer, you won't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.