Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
To prevent thread drift and separation, this is a consolidated thread to document all A3 actions/issues/solutions etc related to the COVID-19 virus. Several previously raised threads have been consolidated into this one. Others where the information and/or advice is now outdated because of the speed at which events move have been closed.

Please use this thread to document actions related to A3 only. General COVID-19 discussions should be made in the dedicated FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This is your wiki, so please feel free to populate it with useful information as it emerges and evolves.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
Have no cases of coronavirus been confirmed in Greece?
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:38 am

31 cases as of a few hours ago. "Interestingly", of those, 10 either came back from the fashion week in Milano, or were relatives of people who came back from Milano, while 21 were members of a group who flew from Athens to Tel Aviv and, then, visited Jerusalem as well as the Sinai Monastery by charter bus. It's unknown where these people picked up the infection. The possibilities are a) ATH, b) the A3 flight, c) Israel or d) Egypt.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question What is the basis of your assertion ?

I would appreciate knowing what evidence you have that Aegean is attributing flight cancellations to CD?

They have a travel waiver on their WEB site - but - I have not heard or seen any airline rep say that x flights have been cancelled as a result!
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KLouis
Where do you see an attitude? Sorry for my epidemiology background, I just wanted to point out to the fact that, so far, all reported cases belong to only two "groups", the Milano one and the Middle East one.
It's soon going to be the Northern European ones too.

I am doing a few A3 flights in the next few days, and I'm hoping they aren't cancelled as a result of the Germanic-language-speaking cases skyrocketing.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:14 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
31 cases as of a few hours ago. "Interestingly", of those, 10 either came back from the fashion week in Milano, or were relatives of people who came back from Milano, while 21 were members of a group who flew from Athens to Tel Aviv and, then, visited Jerusalem as well as the Sinai Monastery by charter bus. It's unknown where these people picked up the infection. The possibilities are a) ATH, b) the A3 flight, c) Israel or d) Egypt.
Most of the ones from Tel Aviv are here in Ileia (Amaliada/Pyrgos). And they have been walking around since the 27th of February before realizing that they were infected - the (now famous) priest not wearing his mask being the prime example. A number of families have been infected by them, some of which with children who have been going to school earlier this week. Its not looking good and likely to spread fast.

They do now know that the group picked up the infection in Israel, as their Israeli driver and one of the Greek FA's from their return flight are also infected.

We had planned to go to Athens this weekend but canceled our hotel stay as we don't wanna risk public transport out of here right now. I'll be flying out of Athens on Sunday but will go by car to Kiato and take the train from there - probably safer than a bus from Pyrgos.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
I can't find in Israeli media information regarding which flight did the group take from Tel Aviv to Athens. Is there any info about that in Greek?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Seems like Aegan is consolidating some routes? Just had a notification earlier that my A3 933 from CAI to ATH has been cancelled (23MAR) and I was moved to A3 931.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CanaryWharf
Seems like Aegan is consolidating some routes? Just had a notification earlier that my A3 933 from CAI to ATH has been cancelled (23MAR) and I was moved to A3 931.
I believe that a flight number change legally allows you to receive a full refund if the new flight does not suit. No compensation, of course, as the cancellation comes with more than 14 days notice. Certainly, Cairo is one of the last places in the world I wouldl like to be in 17 days time.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:36 pm

Yep just like most airlines some planes are going to be parked for a while .
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnirvine
I believe that a flight number change legally allows you to receive a full refund if the new flight does not suit. No compensation, of course, as the cancellation comes with more than 14 days notice. Certainly, Cairo is one of the last places in the world I wouldl like to be in 17 days time.
I am sure they wouldn't have to pay compensation even if it was within the 14 day period. I would imagine they, as well as all the other airlines, would just say that it was something that was out of their control.

I booked a flight with Austrian on Wednesday which was to replace an easyJet flight which had been cancelled, only to find that the following morning they cancelled their flight too (within the 14 days). I am not getting my hopes up that they will pay out.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Originally Posted by johnirvine
Not worried about the virus. As long as there is no forced quarantine for people who have visited Egypt in Europe, I’m happy to go.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:22 am

Not worried about the virus. As long as there is no forced quarantine for people who have visited Egypt in Europe, I’m happy to go.
Be aware that most cases are reportedly being transferred to military hospitals so that no information needs to be released. France and other countries have a growing number of cases where incoming passengers caught the virus in Egypt and yesterday most of the crew of a luxury Nile cruiser were diagnosed Covid-19 positive. There appears to be massive underreporting and it would not surprise me if forced quarantine on passengers leaving Egypt was introduced relatively soon by certain EU countries. As an aside, I am currently in 14 days of self-quarantine following an unfortunate encounter with the first Covid-19 patient in Berlin at Virchow Clinic.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given Aegean flight cancellations and Aegean’s loyalty program elite status qualification and retention period doesn’t generally align with a calendar year period or other fixed period of dates shared by all members, I am expecting that Aegean will be at least somewhat more likely to more quickly offer some kind of status requalification waivers or bonus status miles of sort than airline programs which have a fixed calendar year (or other fixed qualification window of dates that is uniform for all members).
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: Miles & Bonus (A3), Miles & More (LH)
Originally Posted by eugnk
I can't find in Israeli media information regarding which flight did the group take from Tel Aviv to Athens. Is there any info about that in Greek?
On a Greek FB group it has been mentioned by a couple of participants that it was an Aegean flight
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Alexandros Bravos
On a Greek FB group it has been mentioned by a couple of participants that it was an Aegean flight
I believe that this group also visited St Catherine's monastery in Sinai, Egypt. If so, this is probably where they were infected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.