Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Not even looked until tonight to redeem some miles however I find it ambiguous in the detail. Let's say I want to go to Thessaloniki.

Distance is 1326 miles
Aegean tells me that I need 8X distance miles for a Go Light fare

Am I therefore correct in assuming that a return London to Thessaloniki is 10608 or am I missing something?

Also if I have Gold upgrades available which i can use do I then get full Business baggage ?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Distance is 1326 miles
Aegean tells me that I need 8X distance miles for a Go Light fare

Am I therefore correct in assuming that a return London to Thessaloniki is 10608 or am I missing something?

Also if I have Gold upgrades available which i can use do I then get full Business baggage ?
1) No - that is for a one-way. Also, those 8x distance are only for A3 flights. Since they don't fly direct LHR-SKG you would need to book via ATH so would need the miles for the domestic leg too which is 5000. So, LHR-ATH-SKG-ATH-LHR using A3 miles AND BOOKED WITH A3 would need 11960 + 5000 + 5000 + 11960 = 33920 miles in total! Burning miles for intra-Europe economy class is usually a bad idea. By the time you've paid your taxes and fees, you'd probably be saving less than 100 Euro for that many miles. But, if you must, you'd be better to book a *A award with another carrier which would be a fixed 25000 miles return within Europe. SAS and LH (maybe others) serve both LHR and SKG. Actually, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to book it as a *A award but still fly with Aegean. I think...

2) Yes, I'm pretty certain you get 2 bags for business class, plus one for your gold status.

Note: I don't think you can upgrade an award ticket, if that's what you were thinking of doing, but I may be wrong.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Jul 17, 2015 at 11:20 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
We;re flying to Athens TATL starting with United to Geneva, then A3 to ATH. Carry-on bags on UA do not have the weight limit of 8kg that A3 has. Will we have to check our carry-on luggage in Geneva to board? will they look the other way? do they gate check?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by hughw
We;re flying to Athens TATL starting with United to Geneva, then A3 to ATH. Carry-on bags on UA do not have the weight limit of 8kg that A3 has. Will we have to check our carry-on luggage in Geneva to board? will they look the other way? do they gate check?
More than 400 flights with A3 and my hand luggage was never checked. A few times they asked me to "show" the bag to see its size at the CI counter, but it was never weighed. Just to prevent any strange thing happening in Geneva (we're actually talking about the gate, so the chances are even smaller: nano area), have one of those "cabin luggage" labels attached to your bag.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:06 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Provided you meet the size requirements, you are unlikely to have a problem.

However, it is not completely unknown for A3 to weigh luggage on full flights and force a gate check - I've seen it on a LGW-ATH flight this year where several Y passengers had their baggage removed (although as a C passenger I was waved through, having already got a bag tag at the check-in desk, where they didn't care about the 1kg or so my case was over).

Your *G status may well also help to avoid prying eyes - a good reason to have a big shiny bag tag on view .
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Hello frequent flyers,
I am trying to book an agean flight through OTA in which it says fare basis SNOBAGD. Could anyone please enlighten me what that means, is the fare type "S" ?
Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:23 am

Yes, it is "S" and "golight" (no luggage included and you have to pay in order to change your ticket).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by lento
Hello frequent flyers,
I am trying to book an agean flight through OTA in which it says fare basis SNOBAGD. Could anyone please enlighten me what that means, is the fare type "S" ?
Thank you.
Yes. First letter of the fare basis is always the booking class. It Looks like as this fare does not include any free checked bag, only carry-on (SNOBAGD).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: A3*G, MS*S
Downgrade and upgrade within the year

Since the audience here is often better informed (and quicker to answer) than the M&B helpdesk...

Wifey's situation:

Upgraded to gold (on pre Nov-24 conditions after a very late retroclaim): 29 jan 2015

1 august 2015: +9750 miles
1 january 2016: +9750 miles
TOTAL: 19500 miles

29 january 2016: Card Downgrade to silver (not hitting 24000 or 12000+4 on A3)

1 may 2016: +3000 Miles on 4 A3 flights
1 july 2016: +6500 Miles

This would give her 29000 within a year (1 august 2015 - 31 july 2016) including the 4 A3 flights, where 24000 + 4 A3 is the requirement to go from Silver to Gold.
(To upgrade from Silver to the Gold Tier, all you need to do is fly Aegean or Olympic Air at least four times and earn 24,000 Tier Miles within 12 months or collect a total 48,000 Tier Miles, regardless of which airline you choose to fly with)

Will it work out as described above, or will she loose the 9750 tier miles from august 2015 once she gets downgraded to Silver in January 2016?

If this fails for retaining A3 Gold, she'll likely bank those miles on MS and start a new life there.

Thanks for your help,
VinZ

Last edited by VinZ; Jul 23, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... it says fare basis SNOBAGD. Could anyone please enlighten me what that means,...
Or possibly the deamon handling all snobags (sorry, a little *nix humour there)

Originally Posted by VinZ
Upgraded to gold (on pre Nov-24 conditions after a very late retroclaim): 29 jan 2015

1 august 2015: +9750 miles
1 january 2016: +9750 miles
TOTAL: 19500 miles

29 january 2015: Card Downgrade to silver (not hitting 24000 or 12000+4 on A3)

1 may 2016: +3000 Miles on 4 A3 flights
1 july 2016: +6500 Miles

This would give her 29000 within a year (1 august 2015 - 31 july 2016) including the 4 A3 flights, where 24000 + 4 A3 is the requirement to go from Silver to Gold.
(To upgrade from Silver to the Gold Tier, all you need to do is fly Aegean or Olympic Air at least four times and earn 24,000 Tier Miles within 12 months or collect a total 48,000 Tier Miles, regardless of which airline you choose to fly with)

Will it work out as described above, or will she loose the 9750 tier miles from august 2015 once she gets downgraded to Silver in January 2016?

I am assuming a downgrade (like an upgrade) will re-set the membership year. So it wouldn't work and she will need to collect the 24k miles within 12 months from the point of downgrade.
But, that is just guessing. I don't think we have had any reports about downgrades jus tyet.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Hello frequent flyers,
Thank you.
Thank you all for your quick help. I have A3 Gold and hence nobag would not matter.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Hi,
quick question as I am planning my August holiday:

I have yet to use my companion tickets and seat upgrades, are those stackable? I.e. can I book online using companion tickets and then upgrade over the phone?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:24 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Hi,
quick question as I am planning my August holiday:

I have yet to use my companion tickets and seat upgrades, are those stackable? I.e. can I book online using companion tickets and then upgrade over the phone?

Thanks for your help!
Yes, the companion tickets book into normal revenue fares so they should be stackable according to all normal logic!

Of course, you'll only be upgrading a domestic sector so the benefit is somewhat diminished, but if you're not going to use them otherwise then it's clearly worth doing.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
adding members to travel together account

How do I add members to the together account? There is no such option in the together account. In my personal account, there is an option but that returns an error whenever I try to add someone.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: nothing but freebies
Hi. I made (old) A3 Blue(=*S) in Aug 14. No further activity since. Did I lose my *S benefit upon their reformation in Sep 14? Or can I still claim *S benefit(if so, until when)? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.