Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
In my view, it works like this:
You give money to an airline. They give you the transportation and some miles in return. The miles gets stored in your FF-account and is a token of the program's liability towards you. Someone needs to pay the program something for them to take on that liability, and it is the airline that sold the ticket that does the paying.

Now, for a codeshare there suddenly are two airlines making it more complicated who is buying what from whom. I am guessing either one these two variants take place
a) marketing carrier buys the seat from the operating carrier and buys the miles from the program
or
b) marketing carrier buys the seat and the miles from operating carrier

In a) the marketing carrier is in full control of every aspect and they are treating the codeshare seats just like it were seats on their own metal. In b) the marketing carrier pays an all-inclusive price and are done with the deal as soon as they bought the seat.

My assumption is that OW handles codeshare seats as in a) and *A as in b). Regardless how it actually is done, as long as both operating and marketing carrier uses the same structure it will work out.
When you combine these two systems you get trouble. Imagine an airline used to buy seats at the all-inclusive-price. There is no way they are going to pay for miles on the side just because they made a codeshare agreement with an airline outside their alliance.

In OP's case, CX paid NZ for the seat. Did that price include the miles (the *A way)? We don't know, but I'd say probably not because this flight certainly will earn miles on MCP (CX's program) where CX will have to pay for miles separately (the OW-way).

Yup, let's hope OP reports back.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:38 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
At the risk of turning this into a discussion in the wrong thread and having to slap myself on the wrist ...

All flights taken on *A airlines are eligible for credit to a *A FFP, including M&B. Who pays for or is the ticketing agent for that flight is immaterial - the operating airline gets revenue for it.

The issue is whether the operating airline's fare class is one that actually earns in a given FFP, so we need to know how CX's selling fare maps over to NZ. A codeshare outside the Alliance is going to be even more difficult to ascertain because we can't even take an informed guess on the basis of common Star fare buckets, but in this specific case I'd be surprised if CX has bought space in anything other than the very bottom fare bucket, which will not earn in M&B anyway.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
These cross alliance codeshare pop up now and then in many forums. Here is another example.
In that case a business fare, which normally earns plenty regardless on how it is mapped - still there is no one as far as I can find that attests to these flights earning.
But - the search is not very good, so if NWIFlyer has a link to a thread where someone reported earning on a cross alliance code share, that would be very interesting reading!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Canceling Flex Award Ticket?

Hi, I had a question about canceling an A3 Flex Award Ticket. My main question is this - is there free cancellation? And would I get my taxes refunded as well?

What is the cancellation fee associated with canceling a GoLight Award Ticket?

Do all of these changes/cancellations have to be done on the phone, or can they be done with an agent at the Athens Airport?

Thank you
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am forgetting if this has been covered, do the first six rows of seats on the A3 A320 have slightly more pitch and seat width, as reported here?

http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/aegean/a321-8
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:41 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by somethinpositiv
Hi, I had a question about canceling an A3 Flex Award Ticket. My main question is this - is there free cancellation? And would I get my taxes refunded as well?

What is the cancellation fee associated with canceling a GoLight Award Ticket?

Do all of these changes/cancellations have to be done on the phone, or can they be done with an agent at the Athens Airport?

Thank you
For both ticket types, a standard cancellation fee of 20 Euros applies.

I'm not sure about cancellation routes - the award would most likely be ticketed by the Miles&Bonus department, so I can see you might have to ring them rather than hope a ticket desk could help. Quite what you do outside M&B hours is a bit more tricky ...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If you miss or cancel a U,P,T go light fare, do you get anything back, like the taxes, for example? Do you have to contact the airline before the flight?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by nk15
If you miss or cancel a U,P,T go light fare, do you get anything back, like the taxes, for example? Do you have to contact the airline before the flight?
No even if you are a no show you are still able to claim taxes back but sometimes the admin fee makes it not worth it just depends on how much the taxes are.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:22 pm

Is anyone know how much is A3 charging for the telephone reservation, I can't book HAM-IST with the new website but it worked fine with the old website.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by IBstudent
Is anyone know how much is A3 charging for the telephone reservation, I can't book HAM-IST with the new website but it worked fine with the old website.
Maybe you could call A3 CS and tell them that you're trying to book a trip, but can't complete the booking online. I doubt they will charge you anything at all for calling to book something that should be bookable online, if the online booking engine played fair (if so, take your business elsewhere).

Snacky
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:40 pm

Does anyone know how to use the 50% coupon code? I don't see a field to enter it. I have tried different dates and locations to check if the booking class could cause this problem but I couldn't find a way to unhide it. Do they have technical issues again?
Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:34 pm

Its working fine just tested it on a dummy booking ATH-SKG. You enter in all your info including FF number then when you get to the payment stage enter in Promotion code and you will see the price reduce. Now in my example it was a cheapo fare so only took EUR9 off.

Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: A3
I booked a flight July 29 on the new site. It did apply my coupon code and showed the discounted price. Unfortunately it then booked the trip at full price after I entered my credit card.

I called and was told the new site is still not booking coupon discounts correctly. She canceled the booking and booked again applying the coupon. Perhaps on line booking with a coupon code will work some day, but be prepared to call after booking in case something goes wrong.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by nk15
I am forgetting if this has been covered, do the first six rows of seats on the A3 A320 have slightly more pitch and seat width, as reported here?...
First four rows, more pitch. Width is the same from front to back.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:00 am

I think on some it could even be row 5 as I had 5F on FRA-ATH and it was the same generous pitch as the rows in front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.