Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by zzzrByte
In order to maintain my Miles & Bonus Gold, I need 12,000 Tier miles, including 4 Aegean or Olympic flights.

If I buy an Aegean ticket from TLV to Paris, with a layover in Athens. Does that count as 2 Aegean flights towards maintaining my tier?
If the flight numbers are different, yes.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
We all know that the only 1 connection rule is quite firm, but can that connection be in a third region and still price normally?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:39 am

Any updates on tier miles purchases? Or basically wait until October when its announced?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:47 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by theworld
Any updates on tier miles purchases? Or basically wait until October when its announced?
No, just wait. There's a reasonable chance A3 will decide where to set the price when they know just how many people are short (and how far), and how many Gold members they really want, which might only happen a few weeks before 24th November when most renewals are due. If they have enough people already qualified, expect a high bar. If they feel they want more Goldies, it may well be made reasonably affordable.

Whatever happens, flying is almost certainly going to be a much cheaper route - what would be the point otherwise?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Newbie type question. I know one can do an online/app check-in 48 hours before departure, but does calling A3 in advance of the 48 hours allow seat selection for a non-status A3 member on economy domestic flight?

I was confused because I did the 48 hour check-in for ATH-SKG but several seats were already gone although I was able to get an aisle seat in the emergency row.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:33 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Xeno
Newbie type question. I know one can do an online/app check-in 48 hours before departure, but does calling A3 in advance of the 48 hours allow seat selection for a non-status A3 member on economy domestic flight?

I was confused because I did the 48 hour check-in for ATH-SKG but several seats were already gone although I was able to get an aisle seat in the emergency row.
Pre-seat selection is only available in business class and for A3 Silver and Gold members in economy. This does not extend to Star Alliance status holders.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sokolov
If the flight numbers are different, yes.
Are there any Aegean flight numbers re-used on different routes like you suggest?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Does anyone know if there is a lounge in Prague (PRG) for Star Gold or A3 Business? The star lounge finder says nothing is available, so I guess it comes down to a specific contract that A3 has with a lounge over there? Any experiences?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Does A3 ever release intra-Greece flights to *A partners for awards? Trying to book a flight for next March from Brussels to Santorini

For $214 USD I can buy BRU - ATH (overnight layover) - JTR, but I can only find awards that get me to ATH.

Is this just A3 not releasing any space this far out or do they never release space intra-Greece to partners?

I would prefer to use miles since I have them and I opted to pay for the airfare over the pond instead of using miles as I was planning on doing (thanks to the brief ST/OW/*A fare war earlier this week) so I want to use miles for intra-Europe now if possible but if I have to buy ATH - JTR for $75 I might as well buy BRU - ATH - JTR for $215
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Does anyone know if there is a lounge in Prague (PRG) for Star Gold or A3 Business? The star lounge finder says nothing is available, so I guess it comes down to a specific contract that A3 has with a lounge over there? Any experiences?
I did go to a lounge a couple of years ago, but I don't remember which one it was. I was flying coach as a *G.[
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Do they really contract lounges outside the *A network of lounges? I haven't seen any contract lounges for A3. I recently flew BUD-ATH (where there is no *A lounge either) and A3 did not offer any lounge access.

I guess one could always try to sneak into one of the contract lounges (wich at PRG is Crystal lounge for LH, Harmoney for SK, Menzies for TK and TAP) flashing a *G, but I wouldn't count on it to work.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:56 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks both. That is disappointing, as there are plenty of contract lounges around in PRG. I do have the ability to schedule my layover somewhere else, but other than the lounge Prague would be the best option for sure.

Last edited by Xandrios; Aug 29, 2015 at 5:01 am
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: A3 *G
Does A3 ever release intra-Greece flights to *A partners for awards?
I've been trying to check award availability out of ATH using the ANA tool and I can find NO AVAILABILITY to ANYWHERE from now right through until at least April. There's not only nothing on A3 (domestic or international) but also nothing with LH, SK, TK etc. This seems a little weird. There is availability out of SKG with OS, LH, TH and SK so I wonder what's up with ATH. I'm tending to think it's an issue with the ANA tool. Is that what you were using?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
OK... here goes.

I am thinking about shifting my *G from UA to A3. I have a MUC-BKK-TYO-BKK-MUC trip in F lined up for next month. I also have a UA 1K card that expires at the end of January 2016.

I will cross the line for A3 *S with the flight from Bangkok to Tokyo in mid-September (say Sep 18) and with the flight back to Munich (say Oct 6), I'd have the miles for A3 *G - if I had four flight segments on A3 (which I do not).

Now... I will have to fly four A3 segments to make gold with the 50,000 miles A3 will be crediting for my flights.

Say I take those four segments on A3 in late January (say Jan 28), would my A3 *G then be until:
- Sep 17, 2016 (because I crossed the line to A3 *S then),
- Oct 6, 2016 (because I had the miles at that point to make A3 *G but was only missing the segments),
- Jan 27, 2017 (because I only flew the four mandatory segments on A3 in Jan 2016), or
- a completely different date?

What strategy would you recommend? I have currently not even signed up for A3 M+B.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If you are upgraded to silver on sep 18 2015, and you are not adding any other miles, you will only have until sep 17 2016 to add thoose A3 segments.

After getting silver, you will need 24k miles and 4 A3 segments with in one cohesive 12m period. When both criteria are fulfilled, you will be upgraded.

So if you add the "missing" segements in jan 2016, you will at that point be upgraded to gold and your membership year reset - you will then be gold until jan 2017.
You could wait until sept 2016 to add the segments, if you want your gold membership year to start (and end) later.

Last edited by intuition; Aug 31, 2015 at 7:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.