Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I don't think you can redeem online, but calling works fine. You will be given a reservation number which you qoute at pick up.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:39 am

Rather call them!
Aegean barely responds to contact forms
Their phone support is pretty straight forward, only the greek accent (in combo with bad phone line) can be a little bit tough from time to time.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:49 am

Two questions about domestic Greek routes.

Some domestic Greek routes offer a business class fare. What's that like? Is it like US domestic first, or like BA with the middle economy seat blocked and some better food and drink?

Does the table at https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...age-allowance/ apply to any (reasonable) number of extra bags, or is that price just the first bag?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
All A3 flights are you typical European business class product: with the middle seat blocked out. Do note that not all flights have business class availability (OA operated flights, seasonal charters have none).

What you can expect is just a better snack than those in Y on a domestic route. Most domestic flights are just 40-50 mins only, which leaves for only 20 mins or so at cruising altitude... Check the catering topic for some examples what to expect! Post no34 has some examples of 2 typical dometic flights (ATH-HER-ATH). I would only bother with it if connecting on an international flight, imho it's not worth it at all if you just pay for a domestic flight only. Do not that even in economy on a short domestic flight you get a snack and a drink! What you are paying for is essentially a more luxurious snack only (or perhaps more generous restrictions). Again do note you will not find lounge access on all domestic airports, only at ATH & SKG.

And yes, it seems it counts for any number of bags if I read through it, although I dont have first-hand experience here!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:50 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
I would only bother with it if connecting on an international flight, imho it's not worth it at all if you just pay for a domestic flight only....What you are paying for is essentially a more luxurious snack only (or perhaps more generous restrictions).
You will also [probably] get your own bus to take you from the lounge (or gate) to the airstairs upon departure, and then again to take you from the airstairs to the baggage claim (or transfer area) upon arrival. I've flown up front on A3 probably 8-10 times in the past 2-3 years, and I've had the J-bus experience 7-9 of those 8-10 times. In other words, I can only remember not getting it once.

Is this J-bus-perk really worth it? Probably not, unless you are either a) on a tight connection, or b) travelling with kids/strollers/carry-ons and don't want to wait for the Y-bus and be jammed into the Y-bus. I have to say though, that the J-bus-perk is awfully nice when you see the flight attendants hold back the Y-class cabin back and allow the passengers sitting in J to deplane, load their own special bus, and depart to the terminal. As you drive off across the tarmac, you can watch the Y-class passengers struggling down the airstairs and onto the Y-bus. Taking the J-bus probably saves you ~10 minutes of time.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by IAATM
...As you drive off across the tarmac, you can watch the Y-class passengers struggling down the airstairs and onto the Y-bus...
Well, if I'm not wrong, the J passengers also struggle down the stairs, and for some T-class passengers (the first ones to disembark after the fellows from J) it's equally nice to watch. Mind you, I never thought of this as something nice.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:52 am

Apart from the tight connection case, it's not that much of a benefit really.

In case you have checked luggage, it's definitely not a benefit as priority bags always arrive after the second (or maybe third) bus unloads.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by lgts
Apart from the tight connection case, it's not that much of a benefit really.

In case you have checked luggage, it's definitely not a benefit as priority bags always arrive after the second (or maybe third) bus unloads.
I really disagree! In ATH priority-tagged luggage are always (one or two exceptions so far for me in so many years) the first ones to come out. And in HER where they often arrive separately from the non-tagged ones (!), that means at least 10-20 minutes before the bulk, especially during the summer when so many flights arrive at the same time. Of course, in several airports where *A flights are relatively few, they often come out last (e.g. GLA, FCO, and many others).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: A3*G, FRECCIA ALATA CLUB
Thanks for you're replies NWIFlyer, lgts, mrgreen

That certainly gives out an indication. I guess we'll wait and see but personally I will only found out in Oct if it's worth to buy-up to maintain Gold or drop back to Silver and wait again for another busy year travelling to qualify.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
vangelisd, welcome to FlyerTalk.

I'm afraid there's been no indication yet of how many status (or award) miles can be purchased, nor the cost. However, given what A3 potentially gives away in allowing people to buy-up to Gold, it is likely that the cost per thousand miles will be considerable.

On Oneworld, in 2013 AA offered a buy-up for US$399 for those who were within 5,000 miles of re-qualifying - which is 90% towards their re-qual figure. Bear in mind that the economy is now much healthier and there's less need for airlines to offer deals that might encourage loyalty, so the price may well be much higher. AA's current award buy price is $29.50 per 1,000.

Avianca used to offer a straight buy-up from nothing for $2,200.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Can I just double-check that A3 codeshare flights operated by a non-Star Alliance member (ie, A3 coded, operated by Etihad) earn neither Tier Miles or Award Miles?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:54 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Can I just double-check that A3 codeshare flights operated by a non-Star Alliance member (ie, A3 coded, operated by Etihad) earn neither Tier Miles or Award Miles?
In this specific example you are, depressingly, correct - no miles awarded in either category

The one exception to non-*A earning is on OA flights, for fairly obvious ownership and shared FFP reasons.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:32 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Mod note:

There were a number of recent posts on newly-earned Silver status year date and benefits which were better housed in the main forum so they could be properly discussed. These have been moved to:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...ls-m-b-24.html
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:16 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I qualified for *G with LX, but it has now devalued its A3 earning rates for most common economy booking classes and prices are high. SAS is launching ARN-HKG in September and has good fares, so I think this is how I will get 12K miles before 24 Nov (then I can do a shorter trip to Greece rather than going via LCA as suggested elsewhere).

Has there been any hearsay about upcoming SAS earning devaluations?

Also, does anyone know if you have to be re-screened by security when transiting ARN having departed LHR?

(I am carrying certain bulky items which I would prefer to unpack only once - and though ZRH doesn't re-screen, as I said LX Y hasn't been attractive so I've been working on getting BA Gold via direct LHR-HKGs instead)
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by :D!
Has there been any hearsay about upcoming SAS earning devaluations?
A lot of talk, very little substance. I personally don't think it is upcoming, but your guess is as good as anyone's.
Book a flex ticket, cancel for full refund if earnings are cut.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by :D!
Also, does anyone know if you have to be re-screened by security when transiting ARN having departed LHR?

(I am carrying certain bulky items which I would prefer to unpack only once - and though ZRH doesn't re-screen, as I said LX Y hasn't been attractive so I've been working on getting BA Gold via direct LHR-HKGs instead)
I've transited ARN 5 or 6 times in the last year - but only ever within Schengen or Shengen to/from UK - never long haul.

As far as I remember there is a security check just after the passport control on the lower level which you have to go through before re-entering the airside area. It's just a small area with one x-ray machine as I guess ARN isn't a huge connecting hub. But, as I say, I've only used that for UK - Schengen connections. I would think you would not have to enter Sweden at all if you are transiting to HKG.

You'd be better checking/asking over on the SAS thread. I hang out there and there are loads of similar queries answered there about connecting at Scandinavian airports.

Try here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...on-merged.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.