Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
But can the reservation people even do it? Over the phone, they ended up booking us in T class at the end of the day anyways, despite the voucher saying it is ineligible for T class fares. (To be fair, it also says it can only be used online as well.)
However, it is nice that one voucher can work on a return trip. I thought that it would take two.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:25 am

Also, this fare structure makes me very unlikely to ever buy flex, as it doesn't come with any more miles and doesn't seem particularly flexible... Why don't they base mileage earning on their own metal on which type (Go light or Flex) you buy, rather than fare class if you can't even really choose the fare class...
Old May 3, 2015, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
However, it is nice that one voucher can work on a return trip. I thought that it would take two.
How sure are you about this? I am almost sure it is one coupon for one flight. Even in a two-leg journey you need two coupons to upgrade the whole trip, not just one.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I guess OP got lucky?
The agent (didn't know what do to and) just booked cheapest available fare and then processed the voucher.

I agree, these ticket types does not work well with earning charts based on fare class. But if they went all the way and aligned the earning chart with the types, then they'd lose connection between revenue and miles earned. If you book a flex in the cheapest class, it costs a lot less than a golight in one of the higher classes.

I guess these are confusing times for airlines - they do some things in face of competition that is not very well thought through. And A3 isn't the only one.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I guess OP got lucky?
The agent (didn't know what do to and) just booked cheapest available fare and then processed the voucher.

I agree, these ticket types does not work well with earning charts based on fare class. But if they went all the way and aligned the earning chart with the types, then they'd lose connection between revenue and miles earned. If you book a flex in the cheapest class, it costs a lot less than a golight in one of the higher classes.

I guess these are confusing times for airlines - they do some things in face of competition that is not very well thought through. And A3 isn't the only one.
I honestly am not sure about whether the voucher is meant to be valid on a return or not, however, the voucher T&C's don't seem to explicitly state one way or the other. And if you try to book a return and punch in the promo code for one voucher on the website, it will reduce the price of the whole trip by half. (At least it did in my case. Though again, at purchase, it didn't go through, which could have been due to that, or the inability to get the proper fare to come through. Or a whole host of other issues, though on the phone, he said that they have had a lot of trouble getting the vouchers to work online.)
Old May 4, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
Question M&B Gold Renew

--new rules for Gold status renew--
Hi all, at the beginning of this year I planned a round trip MXP-HER via ATH for making 4 A3 flights. The purpose was quite simple of making it easier for renewing my *G. So I bought a Q fare trip and upgraded 3 legs out of 4 to I fare using the coupon.
The trip was nicely done last week after 3 satisfied biz flights and 1 normal Y flight.
Checking my miles status today and I realized the I fare is not eligible for miles earning and indeed they don't appear in my account !
So Here comes my BIG concern:
Can these 3 I fare flights be considered NOT eligible for the new rule "to make 4 A3 or Olimpic flights + 12k miles in one year for keeping the gold status" ?
I'm having really bad feeling....
Thanks in advance!
Old May 4, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Don't worry, you just need to make a retrospective claim for the flights and you should get the miles foe the original booking class in economy. It's quite natural.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
Originally Posted by jbfield
Don't worry, you just need to make a retrospective claim for the flights and you should get the miles foe the original booking class in economy. It's quite natural.
Will do and Hope it works!
Thanks!
Old May 5, 2015, 5:42 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It will work!

Take a look at this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...e-coupons.html. The wiki will be particularly helpful, and should help you to better understand how the process currently works and what you need to do (it's not a normal retroclaim procedure).
Old May 5, 2015, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It will work!
And if it doesn't (happened to me after the on-line retro claim), just call them 15-20 days later and they settle the matter in no time.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Hopefully this is posted in the correct forum and thread. A friend and I are both in Crete doing military reserve duty, I’m headed home to NYC area this weekend, he is traveling home next week. Both of us are ticketed (one ticket each through military Commercial Travel Office) for Aegean flights connecting to USA legacy carriers; each of us has our own set of concerns.

I’m ticketed on Aegean CHQ-ATH, 1 hr connection time, Aegean ATH-FRA, 2.5 hr connection, United FRA-ORD (GPU confirmed, my back is highly appreciative), 3 hr connection, United ORD-LGA. I did a very similar itinerary a year ago, with only 1.5 hrs in FRA. The short connection time in ATH is not a concern, last year I would have made it with a 20 minute connection time as Aegean to Aegean in ATH was very simple. Last year I ended up missing my connection in FRA due to Aegean refusing to check my suitcase to the USA and insisting I pick it up at FRA which resulted in an hour delay at FRA. I believe that Aegean can check bags to a first destination in the USA but it seems they sometimes chose not to. My question is: what is the reason (if any) why baggage cannot be checked on Aegean from CHQ to ORD and should I expect to be able to do so?

He is ticketed on Aegean CHQ to ATH, 1 hr 15min connection time, US Airways ATH to PHL (upgrade pending, his back is hoping it clears), 2hr 20 minute connection time, PHL to LGA. He is concerned about the ATH connection time, especially if he has to pick up and recheck his suitcase and get from one terminal to another, and also the connection time (considering customs and immigrations) in PHL.

We would certainly appreciate any comments/suggestions from the experts here. Thank you very much.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:02 pm

I never had problems checking luggage through to other *A companies (well, US is not, but it;s a partner airline) even when on different tickets. What you could do, if they refuse again, is to kindly ask the CI agent if, due to the "short" connection they couldn't tag the luggage as priority. This would be against the rules, but I know of people where they've done it. In ATH (for your friend), this would guarantee that the luggage would be on the belt within the first ones and the connection time would be no problem. For FRA, though, I can't say. These tags sometimes mean "get this out at the very end", as happened to me recently.

Now, why they didn't check through? Go figure...
Old May 7, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum
I'm A3*G, which I achieved under the old program. Got my new card and tags and everything, and an expiry date of November 24th 2015.

I'll requalify for Gold status by the end of this summer. This means that by the new program my status will be extended from November 24th 2015 to November 24th 2016 -- correct?

However, if I don't requalify and I'm moved down to Silver, I would have to fly 24.000+A3 flights or 48.000 miles to achieve Gold between the 24th of November 2015 and the 24th of November 2016. When I get enough miles, for example the 20th of June 2016, I would be upgraded to Gold again -- but my expiry date would be updated to the 20th of June 2017.

Have I understood this correctly?
Old May 7, 2015, 5:50 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Henrik C
I'm A3*G, which I achieved under the old program. Got my new card and tags and everything, and an expiry date of November 24th 2015.

I'll requalify for Gold status by the end of this summer. This means that by the new program my status will be extended from November 24th 2015 to November 24th 2016 -- correct?

However, if I don't requalify and I'm moved down to Silver, I would have to fly 24.000+A3 flights or 48.000 miles to achieve Gold between the 24th of November 2015 and the 24th of November 2016. When I get enough miles, for example the 20th of June 2016, I would be upgraded to Gold again -- but my expiry date would be updated to the 20th of June 2017.

Have I understood this correctly?
Spot on . It illustrates the benefits of never dropping below Gold and having to haul back there again ...
Old May 11, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I am taking the 9:20AM Aegean Air flight from CHQ to ATH on July 10, which is scheduled to arrive at 10:10AM. I am then on a separate ticket ATH to JFK on Delta, scheduled to depart at Noon.

Is that plenty of time to make my connection, or should I switch to the 6:30AM flight from CHQ? I won't have any checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.