Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 12:01 am

Looks like overall the miles for an upgrade aren't really worth it, right?

For example, I have roughly 43k miles and was ideally looking to use it on a SWISS upgrade from Economy to Business, but the fare class needs to be high so that is damn expensive. Any other tips on how to use 43K otherwise?

Also PS: how quickly do you find out if an upgrade worked or not? For example, I just found a relevant SWISS fare roundtrip for $2,000, but before booking it I would like to make sure the Aegean upgrade would actually go through. Would I have to purchase the ticket, and then try it out on Aegean's website? Is it an immediate feedback kind of thing?
Old May 7, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: A3*S, QR Burgundy, AS, SK, LH
Originally Posted by sliiide
from the star alliance upgrade award link in your account:

These airlines are not eligible for upgrades-
Lufthansa
Singapore airlines
South african airways
LOT
Austrian airlines
TAM
Copa

---------

The rest are
http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...ms-conditions/
About a quarter of a way down the page is the table

Thank you sir! Guess it'll be coach for me, that was too good to be true It surely isn't such great value seeing it this way now.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by nygiants242
Looks like overall the miles for an upgrade aren't really worth it, right?

For example, I have roughly 43k miles and was ideally looking to use it on a SWISS upgrade from Economy to Business, but the fare class needs to be high so that is damn expensive. Any other tips on how to use 43K otherwise?

Also PS: how quickly do you find out if an upgrade worked or not? For example, I just found a relevant SWISS fare roundtrip for $2,000, but before booking it I would like to make sure the Aegean upgrade would actually go through. Would I have to purchase the ticket, and then try it out on Aegean's website? Is it an immediate feedback kind of thing?
As for the Star alliance upgrade, it isn't a good use of miles. For the upgrade to clear, I believe I Inventory has to be available. You can check that on expertflyer and such, or your FFP award search to see if the particular flight is showing award seats in business. Save up 2k more miles, and you can get a one way award in C Europe-North America for example.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:25 am

Hi, I'm a newbie (duh.)
I wanted to ask about getting a credit card for mileage reward purpose. But I generally have no preference for airline companies. But I do have international fly from China to San Francisco. And SF to Boston. Do you guys have any recommendation? Also I'm planning on getting a Starwood Preferred Guest for hotel purpose. Thank you!
Old May 11, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by lqhstephanie
Hi, I'm a newbie (duh.)
I wanted to ask about getting a credit card for mileage reward purpose. But I generally have no preference for airline companies. But I do have international fly from China to San Francisco. And SF to Boston. Do you guys have any recommendation? Also I'm planning on getting a Starwood Preferred Guest for hotel purpose. Thank you!
What is your location/residence? If in the US, the AMEX cards are ideal for accumulating points that can be used for reward flights. I believe the platinum card can net you almost 100k MR that can be transferred to BA Avios, AC Aeroplan, delta... and so on 1:1 usually. For this you need to have a credit file in the US. As far as cards go in China, I think CX has an Amex card in HKG but no sure if it gives any bonus miles or if it is available on the mainland. Perhaps Air China have a co-branded credit card you might try?
Old May 20, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: FTL, A3*G
Is there any chance that m@m carriers will someday recognize Aegean*G status in boarding cards? Is it only my problem or everybody has just A3P status in bp? Regards
Old May 20, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by iudex
Is there any chance that m@m carriers will someday recognize Aegean*G status in boarding cards? Is it only my problem or everybody has just A3P status in bp? Regards
They do, buy you probably flip the FTL and A3*G number on your BP, and that way it really only shows A3P.
If you have your A3 number on the booking in advance then you will get A3*G.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:03 am

Works for me too
Old May 20, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
How long does it take for other airlines to recognize *G status (as marked on your boarding pass) from the time it is upgraded on the Aegean site?
Old May 21, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Privlige club Silver
I usually credit miles to UA, but have redeemed all of them early this year,
Have a trip coming up on SQ , BOM-SIN-HKG and vv, booked in W class, i think it gives me 8053 miles on A3,

Is it worth opening an A3 account for this routing,?
I might not have any travel plans for a while....

Any advise is appreciated

Thanks
Old May 21, 2014, 6:49 am

From the registration-date you have 12 months to get to Silver. Once you get to Silver you have 12 months to get to 20k; Gold. Silver is achieved at 4k - this includes the 1k for signing up.

If you have insufficient travel coming up it may be worth crediting only up to 3k and not eating into the 12-month period for getting to Gold.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Privlige club Silver
Thanks for that,
Old May 23, 2014, 8:26 pm

a bit confused about earning rates, I often fly between Australia and NZ on air NZ and domestically within NZ. Would I be able to get to gold flying in economy between Australia and NZ 4 times a year and domestically?
Old May 24, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Notty
a bit confused about earning rates, I often fly between Australia and NZ on air NZ and domestically within NZ. Would I be able to get to gold flying in economy between Australia and NZ 4 times a year and domestically?
Only if you fly the longer routes, like AKL-PER and if you buy the more expensive economy tickets at least.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: A3*G, LH, TP
M&B member without any A3 miles?

Hi guys.
I registered on Miles and Bonus after travelling with Aegean and learning about their program. However, that trip was already claimed to another Star Alliance programme (Miles and More). I'm not sure I'll travel with them anytime soon , which means I'm a member with no A# flight on my list. But I do use Star Alliance a lot. Can I still be a member and gain benefits?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.