The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
475 + 4 = 500
"other taxes" and YQ = 25
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
I became A3 *G earlier this year. I just noticed that my Gold card says that it expires in 12/14. I think I had read that the Gold status is valid atleast 3 years. What do I have to do to maintain the Gold status for at least 2 more years?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by kyunbit
I became A3 *G earlier this year. I just noticed that my Gold card says that it expires in 12/14. I think I had read that the Gold status is valid atleast 3 years. What do I have to do to maintain the Gold status for at least 2 more years?
search is your friend
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22194311-post4.html
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm sure this is answered somewhere in here:

I booked an international trip on US and now have an FCO-ATH portion on Aegean. Is there any way to choose a seat ahead of time or is it at check-in?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I'm sure this is answered somewhere in here:

I booked an international trip on US and now have an FCO-ATH portion on Aegean. Is there any way to choose a seat ahead of time or is it at check-in?
At check-in (-48 hrs from departure), unless you're M&B Gold; in which case call them and ask for your preferred seat.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: TK Elite
Would A3 match my TK Elite status?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Would A3 match my TK Elite status?
Simply ask them ;-)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:40 am

Question tax calculation

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so first of all: Hi!!

I was searching, but could not find an answer to this question:
I recently received Aegan Airlines gold status. While I'm still waiting for the card (it's already 6 weeks ago - I'm living in California) I am looking for options to spend my miles.
I'd like to get a Lufthansa flight from FRA to SFO in January 2015.
This would mean 30k miles. I'm not already there, but close and think I'll achieve this until January (if not they want to sell miles).

What I do not understand:
Why do I have to pay taxes on a free flight? And why should those be around 300 EUR? I see those taxes on lufthansa.com as well, but I do not get why I have to pay tax in such a high amount for something that is free?

Hope anyone can point me to the right info source or explain?

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by beatrider
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so first of all: Hi!!

I was searching, but could not find an answer to this question:
I recently received Aegan Airlines gold status. While I'm still waiting for the card (it's already 6 weeks ago - I'm living in California) I am looking for options to spend my miles.
I'd like to get a Lufthansa flight from FRA to SFO in January 2015.
This would mean 30k miles. I'm not already there, but close and think I'll achieve this until January (if not they want to sell miles).

What I do not understand:
Why do I have to pay taxes on a free flight? And why should those be around 300 EUR? I see those taxes on lufthansa.com as well, but I do not get why I have to pay tax in such a high amount for something that is free?

Hope anyone can point me to the right info source or explain?

Thanks
Most frequent flyer programs charge the carrier imposed fees as 'fuel surcharges' to award tickets. Only most US frequent flyer programs do not charge this fees (with exceptions)... But A3 does!

An airline ticket consists today of the fare, carrier imposed fees and the airport / country imposed taxes... With your miles, you cover only the 'fare' part of the ticket. With this trick, they can easily change the amount of the fuel surcharges and also rip off frequent flyers...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:53 pm

Thanks a lot! That answered my question really very good!
And very bad they just take the most expensive fare as a base for the tax calculation s#8(%^ !

cheers
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:39 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by beatrider
Thanks a lot! That answered my question really very good!
And very bad they just take the most expensive fare as a base for the tax calculation s#8(%^ !

cheers
They don't - the fuel surcharges and airport fees etc are fixed amounts. The fare is zero, so any percentage based add-ons will also be zero. That's why economy redemptions are a very bad idea, generally speaking, because you're only saving against what's normally a very low base fare on a revenue ticket.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:54 pm

I gave up thinking that free tickets are free many, many years ago!

Last week I started shopping around for two awards from ATH to Central America (and back ). Not tried A3 yet, I leave it for the end. You'd be amazed a) at how much real money you usually have to pay for the free ticket using three different programs (all of them European). In addition, although one of them charges X number of miles, when you attempt to book one of them the price (in miles) goes up as soon as you get to do your booking. Later tomorrow, I'll talk with one of A3's agents to get their prices to (miles-wise they're by far the cheapest). I'm interested to see whether they'll quote me different taxes if I book all the way with UA as opposed to LH.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:58 pm

hmm... so you'd rather take the miles for an upgrade instead of an economy class flight?
I am basically looking for a cheap one way ticket from FRA->SFO
Round ways generally speaking are cheaper, but I do not know, when I am flying SFO->FRA and rescheduling a flight often doesn't seem to be the best option at all...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:16 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
In view of the large-scale changes to the M&B program, much of the information in this thread is now very outdated and may cause confusion so I've locked it off in favour of using the newly created thread which can be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...ions-here.html

Please continue to post questions there.

NWIFlyer
Aegean Miles&Bonus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.