Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:20 am

Wow! Thanks alot for the quick response. Will look into this.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:17 am

Aegean Miles

Hey guys this is my first post on this!, I have an aegean airlines Blue status account and as hard as it is to choose cheap flights and get a decent redemption rate on them i have come to a stop, I was looking at booking ATH - SYD in february and i was given etihad as a choice, I know their not *A so do i even earn miles with them if not then i have other choices to go FRA with Aegean and SIN with singapore and onwards again to SYD with Singapore airlines, I know i can earn miles with them but my only confusing part is when booking through aegean the class letter (W) is there and how do i calculate milage for that, Do i do it striclty for Aegean on the redemption table? or to i mix both airlines under the same class letter? Any help will be great very confused on this confused:
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:58 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KILOHOTEL
Hey guys this is my first post on this!, I have an aegean airlines Blue status account and as hard as it is to choose cheap flights and get a decent redemption rate on them i have come to a stop, I was looking at booking ATH - SYD in february and i was given etihad as a choice, I know their not *A so do i even earn miles with them if not then i have other choices to go FRA with Aegean and SIN with singapore and onwards again to SYD with Singapore airlines, I know i can earn miles with them but my only confusing part is when booking through aegean the class letter (W) is there and how do i calculate milage for that, Do i do it striclty for Aegean on the redemption table? or to i mix both airlines under the same class letter? Any help will be great very confused on this confused:
Etihad is not in *A, nor a Miles & Bonus partner, so you would not earn any miles. There is some thought that you might earn destination miles (not status miles) if booked on an A3 codeshare with Etihad, but there's no chance if booked under the Etihad flight number (which seems likely if a travel agent has offered you this).

You would earn per the M&B earning chart http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...on/earn-miles/
for flights with Aegean and Singapore.

W class on Singapore earns at 100%.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Etihad is not in *A, nor a Miles & Bonus partner, so you would not earn any miles. There is some thought that you might earn destination miles (not status miles) if booked on an A3 codeshare with Etihad, but there's no chance if booked under the Etihad flight number (which seems likely if a travel agent has offered you this).

You would earn per the M&B earning chart http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...on/earn-miles/
for flights with Aegean and Singapore.

W class on Singapore earns at 100%.
Thats great, and in future reference if i book through A3's website and it shows a fare code that is on the redemptions list for Aegean but not singapore airlines or another example is if its not eligible for miles on singapore but it is eligable for Aegean does that mean i can only get the miles only for the Aegean leg?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:54 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by KILOHOTEL
Thats great, and in future reference if i book through A3's website and it shows a fare code that is on the redemptions list for Aegean but not singapore airlines or another example is if its not eligible for miles on singapore but it is eligable for Aegean does that mean i can only get the miles only for the Aegean leg?
I don't really understand your question, to be honest, but let me take a best guess.

You do not have to book anything through Aegean's website, and in fact for most people their earning will be on flights booked elsewhere.

You will earn on any *A member airline at the rate given for that airline in the Aegean earning table. Note that for some cheap fare classes this rate may well be zero.

So for example, if you fly on Singapore Airlines (SQ) in W fare class you will earn 100% of the actual distance flown.

If you fly on United (UA) in G fare class you will earn 50% of the actual distance flown.

If you fly on Thai (TG) in W fare class you will earn zero (but you would still get status benefits if you were *G).

I would strongly recommend you read some of the FAQ's in this forum and others about how FFP's work, and then come back in the appropriate thread with any issues you don't understand. A lot of the questions you've asked are very basic in FFP terms and you should hopefully find all the information you need.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:59 pm

I've just done some searches for one-way flights from Athens to Sydney and Athens to Melbourne. On and a week either side of October 1st.

But the options that have only *A airlines (A3, LH and SQ) show as having no seats left. Only the ones that are entirely on Etihad have any seats for selection. Does anyone know if it's a case of A3 not getting many seats on LH and SQ for these routes or could it be that it's that popular during that 2-week period this year?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:03 pm
Community Director

ITA Matrix shows seats on all days for both destinations with several *A airlines - LH, SQ, TK, TG. It might be that A3 doesn't have any codeshare seats left (they may not even codeshare on all these routes), but I don't see why you couldn't just book under the real flight numbers 'direct' with the other airlines.

Or are you looking for a redemption?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:16 am

ITA Matrix shows seats on all days for both destinations with several *A airlines - LH, SQ, TK, TG. It might be that A3 doesn't have any codeshare seats left (they may not even codeshare on all these routes), but I don't see why you couldn't just book under the real flight numbers 'direct' with the other airlines.

Or are you looking for a redemption?
Thanks. No, I was just curious as to what the Aegean site would show. There were many options shown on combinations of the three *A airlines - about ten for each day from Athens to each Australian cities - but I guess A3 doesn't have that many of LH's and SQ's seats available to them.

Speaking of redemptions, do you know how to find that thread that has the table showing rough YQs for each airline against each region with the general rules (no YQ out of Brazil or something similar) listed below it? I've tried the search in several ways but nothing's come up.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:34 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by sliiide
Speaking of redemptions, do you know how to find that thread that has the table showing rough YQs for each airline against each region with the general rules (no YQ out of Brazil or something similar) listed below it? I've tried the search in several ways but nothing's come up.
The best redemption threads I know of are in the BD (BMI) Diamond Club forum, which deal with using the ANA tool, YQ policies etc. Whilst the forum has been closed, the thread will still be available. You'd probably have to be careful with the information because it'll now be a couple of years out-of-date, but a lot of the general principles will still apply.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:27 pm

The best redemption threads I know of are in the BD (BMI) Diamond Club forum, which deal with using the ANA tool, YQ policies etc. Whilst the forum has been closed, the thread will still be available. You'd probably have to be careful with the information because it'll now be a couple of years out-of-date, but a lot of the general principles will still apply.
Never fear, sliiide is here:

the link is
http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

the thread is
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...ap-we-can.html

The BD forum will be useful too.

Last edited by sliiide; Sep 9, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:15 pm

So I'm about to try my first upgrade. DUS to ATH or Thessaloniki. Anyway, I was just on the phone to A3's greek number and the agent said that for a flight on the weekend, I could book and upgrade now as she could see availability. The T&Qs say that upgrades can only be done up to 24 hours prior to departure.
She also said I could ask for availability on the phone and then book online and call her again to avoid the €20 issuing-fee.

Has anyone else gotten one done and how was the process?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:17 pm

Also, I checked a flight in C for DUS-ATH on ITA Matrix and the fare was about 475 USD. The YQ was about 4 USD and the total was about 500 USD. Is ITA Matrix always accurate as far as YQ and other taxes goes?

Last edited by sliiide; Sep 9, 2014 at 2:47 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Has anyone else gotten one done and how was the process?
Book economy, call for the upgrade and get business... Why should that be so difficult?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Also, I checked a flight in C for DUS-ATH on ITA Matrix and the fare was about 475 USD. The YQ was about 4 USD and the total was about 500 USD. Is ITA Matrix always accurate as far as YQ and other taxes goes?
475 + 4 = 500
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Book economy, call for the upgrade and get business... Why should that be so difficult?
As i implied, availability isn't guaranteed. It's not visible when you book online. Only the agents on the phone know how many seats there are left in C for upgrades. The website, when it indicates, only refers to the number left for purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.