Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Award miles redemption - as cheap as we can

Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Hi guys!

Just quick question.
I have some award miles on my Aegean Miles&Bonus account and I'd like to spent them on some flight. I don't care it it will be from Europe to USA or from Europe to Far East (probably Thailand, Singapore or Indonesia).
Can you, please, tell me, which airline to choose to have as low as possible taxes and additional fares?
I heard about All Nippon Airways, that it doesn't charge you much. Is it true?

Thank you!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Master Charts to Avoiding Fuel Surcharges (YQ)
Feel free to use google
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

OK, thank you
But I don't understand that table. I don't see Aegean YQ there? So how could I know, how much money will I pay?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
It wasn't include in the table, AFAIK A3 charges YQ for all flights, but only around 3 Euros for intra-Europe flights. To completely avoid YQ, you have the following choices:

-Redeem on United/Copa for flights between North/Central/South America
-All flights for Avianca
-All flights for US Airways
-Intra-New Zealand flights on Air New Zealand
-All flights departing from Brazil

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:54 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mishaw
OK, thank you
But I don't understand that table. I don't see Aegean YQ there? So how could I know, how much money will I pay?
I think you maybe have misunderstood the general principle that FFP's (with the exception of UA) pass through all fuel surcharges levied by the operating airline.

That's why there's no A3 column in the table - it's a generalisation to give you a rough idea of what level of YQ you might pay if you book through a FFP that passes the charge on.

To know a more exact figure (which would still be subject to exchange rate - for example, AC would charge in CAD but A3 would convert this and charge you in Euros), you need to plug the route you want and the airline into ITA, price the trip and then look at the taxes breakdown.

Of course, if there's no YQ then there's nothing to pass through, so UA & US would be good choices.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
(...)To know a more exact figure (which would still be subject to exchange rate - for example, AC would charge in CAD but A3 would convert this and charge you in Euros), you need to plug the route you want and the airline into ITA, price the trip and then look at the taxes breakdown.

Of course, if there's no YQ then there's nothing to pass through, so UA & US would be good choices.
I did the tax breakdown through the ITA Matrix and even with US Airways, which were mentioned above as a good choice for redemtion, has the fuel surcharge in the tax breakdown.

Originally Posted by J_rob129
To completely avoid YQ, you have the following choices:
(...)
-All flights for US Airways
So is "the trick" that however the fuel surcharge is displayed in ITA, afterwards it is not charged?

Thank You for Your reply
Mikel
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mishaw
OK, thank you

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I think you maybe have misunderstood the general principle that FFP's (with the exception of UA) pass through all fuel surcharges levied by the operating airline.

That's why there's no A3 column in the table - it's a generalisation to give you a rough idea of what level of YQ you might pay if you book through a FFP that passes the charge on.
And, furthermore, Aegean doesn't fly to the US or to the Far East...so the hypothetical charge that they may charge on flights that they do not operate to these destinations is entirely irrelevant...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:12 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by Mikel046
So is "the trick" that however the fuel surcharge is displayed in ITA, afterwards it is not charged?

Thank You for Your reply
Mikel
No, if YQ is shown in the ITA Matrix breakdown, then you can pretty much rely on it being charged.

If you price out a wholly North American itinerary with US or UA, you should see zero YQ. It might well be there's some charged for TATL, but this will still most likely be much less than you'd see from the European airlines.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
The surcharges on partner awards can be crazy. Just to give you an idea.. for my PEK-SIN J redemption on SQ, I just paid EUR250 per pax. Its still a good deal in terms of miles tho.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Alawyer
The surcharges on partner awards can be crazy. Just to give you an idea.. for my PEK-SIN J redemption on SQ, I just paid EUR250 per pax. Its still a good deal in terms of miles tho.
It's always a better to diversify your miles. In AC,AV and UA there is no YQ charge on SQ flights.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Cheap taxes on A3 redemptions

Using A3 miles, the taxes and fees always seem to be expensive, due to fuel surcharge, unless used on America based airlines. This many times makes it more economical to purchase a cash ticket.
I think it would be good if we could have a list of routes that attract low taxes and fees, especially within Europe where it is normally expensive, and maybe starting a wiki listing these routes in order of price.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Have a look to this existing thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...ap-we-can.html
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:34 am

Air New Zealand, I would presume. At least that is how to get the best deal for Miles&More miles - if you can find an award seat.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:41 am
Community Director

I think the answer to benberg2013's specific question is, unfortunately, "this doesn't exist".

All European airlines, with no exceptions - across multiple alliances - charge extremely high YQ relative to the cash price for intra-Europe itineraries. Some are worse than others, granted, but it's only a relatively better deal - not a good one.

There are a few examples for 'own metal' miles burning which offer decent value - SK scrapped YQ for redemptions from Eurobonus at one point, and BA charge a flat fee of 4,500 avios + Ł17.50 each way for a Y redemption in Europe zone 1 (basically short distance flights up to a couple of hours duration or so), but these are very much exceptions.

It could be the shortest wiki in FT history ... .
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
So basically, United and US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.