Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
LGA-IAH-SEA rt in UA F (code fare A) will net over 19K A3 miles. With the bonus 1K for sign up, that's *G. But...right now I have only the 1000 miles, no Blue status. The mileage run would get me to SEA around midnight and then fly back 6 hours later to LGA. So...I know you have to have Blue status prior to getting Gold. Will this 1 mileage run not work to get *G because I won't be Blue to begin with and there's not enough time in b/w flights for Blue status to be credited before the Gold? Thx for your help!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
LGA-IAH-SEA rt in UA F (code fare A) will net over 19K A3 miles. With the bonus 1K for sign up, that's *G. But...right now I have only the 1000 miles, no Blue status. The mileage run would get me to SEA around midnight and then fly back 6 hours later to LGA. So...I know you have to have Blue status prior to getting Gold. Will this 1 mileage run not work to get *G because I won't be Blue to begin with and there's not enough time in b/w flights for Blue status to be credited before the Gold? Thx for your help!
No such restrictions; who told you they exist? You'll become gold as soon as you get 20K miles within 365 years, irrespective of whether you were blue before or not.

PS Only believe the rules listed on A3's site. Anything else is, often, cr**, even when posted by members who've been around for ages (e.g. me! )

Last edited by KLouis; Aug 18, 2014 at 5:53 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Thx! I'll book it then.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
No such restrictions; who told you they exist? You'll become gold as soon as you get 20K miles within 365 years, irrespective of whether you were blue before or not.

PS Only believe the rules listed on A3's site. Anything else is, often, cr**, even when posted by members who've been around for ages (e.g. me! )
I didnt know I had *that* much time to get 20K miles....
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by hsumh316
I didnt know I had *that* much time to get 20K miles....
Yeah, it's a biblical opportunity!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:23 am

Do you also have to enter your password everytime you visit the Miles and Bonus website? I don't seem to find an option to stay logged in
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:36 pm

400 miles left to A3 gold - any advice?

In the middle of this month I will be flying NRT-CPH-ARN and CPH-OSL-TXL-CPH-NRT with SK in economy. On CPH-NRT, I bought an OT upgrade to both prem. eco and business class. The plane looks quite full so I am hoping for the best:
SK983/26:
J/0 Y/0 S/0 B/0 P/0 A/0 E/1 M/1 H/0 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 O/0 G/0
C/9 D/9 Z/4.

If the upgrades clears I am expecting to credit 18600 miles to my newly opened Aegean miles account. Together with the sign up bonus it leaves me 400 short from reaching gold in this trip. I thought I will credit miles from Hertz and/or hotel bookings from booking.com but it turns out that these do not count as tier miles.

I have trips coming up in Oct. (TG in W = no miles) and Dec. (SK) and it would be nice to be able to use the gold benefits by then. Is flying a short milage run the only alternative? I am based in TYO and would like any advice on how to earn those last 400?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:43 pm

Just found out about *G with A3 last week. Signed up and already updated my FF# for an upcoming ORD-CPH trip (Z class/business). If I am calculating this correctly, I should have 18,025 miles (including the 1,000 sign up). Trying to figure out how to get to 20,000 quickly. I've been looking at a lot of options. Does "Skywest DB United Express" count? I'm looking at ORD-MCI (first class/A class, UA5209 and UA4969) which, if it counts, should give me triple the miles. Seems like that is one of the quicker day trips and cheaper than some of the other cities I've been looking at - even compared to economy depending on the booking class.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by zerkokei
Is flying a short milage run the only alternative? I am based in TYO and would like any advice on how to earn those last 400?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...s-short-g.html
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
P booking class on United.

A newbie question:

I checked the Aegean site. http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...-miles/#UNITED

It states
Note: Booking Classes not eligible for accrual:O, I, X, R, N, P
Are they serious about P. On a future flight, I was actually thinking of upgrading to Business class, for the extra status miles, but I noticed I was getting P booking class.

Oddly, enough, according to this site:
http://cwsi.net/united.htm

the Z class, which does earn miles, is a more heavily discounted booking class than P?!

Is it really true that on paid business class with United you get no miles and are better off booking Fullflex Y at the same price?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:28 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AtlanticX
A newbie question:

I checked the Aegean site. http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...-miles/#UNITED

It states

Are they serious about P. On a future flight, I was actually thinking of upgrading to Business class, for the extra status miles, but I noticed I was getting P booking class.

Oddly, enough, according to this site:
http://cwsi.net/united.htm

the Z class, which does earn miles, is a more heavily discounted booking class than P?!

Is it really true that on paid business class with United you get no miles and are better off booking Fullflex Y at the same price?
Yes, correct. Remember that full fare Y may be worth more to UA than discounted C, so they don't give miles for P fare class. This is not unique to A3, and you will find many discussions about it throughout FT.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:09 pm

Yes, correct.
Thanks for the quick response!

Remember that full fare Y may be worth more to UA than discounted C
That's the weird thing. With United itself, there's no such exception. It's just Aegean.

When I use United's mileage calculator, P and Z earn exactly the same (which, compared to full-fare Y is just as much PQM and slightly more award miles).

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...es/united.aspx

I mean, I'd understand P earning the same as Y with Aegean. I just don't get it earning _no_ miles. It means I'm better off buying a mile-earning heavy discount economy ticket, than a ticket that's twice as expensive.

Oh well, there goes my cunning plan to book a nice seat :-)
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:23 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

That's the weird thing. With United itself, there's no such exception. It's just Aegean.

When I use United's mileage calculator, P and Z earn exactly the same (which, compared to full-fare Y is just as much PQM and slightly more award miles).

I mean, I'd understand P earning the same as Y with Aegean. I just don't get it earning _no_ miles. It means I'm better off buying a mile-earning heavy discount economy ticket, than a ticket that's twice as expensive.

What UA gives its own FFP members as an incentive to book with them rather than AA and what they are prepared to pay other airlines are two entirely different things. M&B isn't the only program where P earns zero.

UA obviously feels there's not enough money in a P fare to justify paying A3 against it.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA

It would have been so easy if you just would have used google for your question... :

United Airlines / UA Fare Class P [earns no A3 Miles&Bonus miles - merged]
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:15 pm

Funny that you say that. I used the forum search function, instead of Google, I'll guess I should've used both :-)

I'll still take (newbie) cred for the fact that I researched my question relatively in-depth with the involved airlines, and checked up on the meaning of the booking classes.

The logic just escapes me. Luckily, after reading the thread you provided, I can console myself with the thought that this at least puts me in plenty company.

Last edited by AtlanticX; Sep 1, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.