Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:02 pm

Good day!

I hope this is the right thread to ask this newbie question as I've been researching the A3 *G status and will be applying for it soon.

I am not a frequent flyer like some of the people here, but do make an annual international trip so my question is around the expiration date around the tiered miles.

I am based in SEA, and my trip each year starts in June from SEA -> TPE, and with the fare class I'll be flying, I'll get the 100% A3 miles of 6058 miles each way.

So this is how I have worked out the math for me to achieve A3 *G.

1/4, 2014: Apply for A3 card and get the 1000 tiered miles.

6/10, 2014: SEA -> TPE, 6058 miles.
8/8, 2014: TPE -> SEA, 6058 miles.

From reading the FAQ, once I reach A3 Blue status after the first leg, it resets the expiration date for those miles to be the date of the flight. So in essence, after this trip, I would have 6058+1000-4000+6058 = 9116 miles with the expiration date of 6/10(earlier date).

Since my trip is roughly the same time each year, does that mean I just have to make the starting date of the next trip, say, 6/9 or 6/8, to meet the 16,000 miles requirement? Is that pushing it?

Appreciate any thoughts!

PS: Yes, I would be around 826 miles short, but I can squeeze in a quick domestic trip to make sure for those.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by upa321
Good day!

I hope this is the right thread to ask this newbie question as I've been researching the A3 *G status and will be applying for it soon.

I am not a frequent flyer like some of the people here, but do make an annual international trip so my question is around the expiration date around the tiered miles.

I am based in SEA, and my trip each year starts in June from SEA -> TPE, and with the fare class I'll be flying, I'll get the 100% A3 miles of 6058 miles each way.

So this is how I have worked out the math for me to achieve A3 *G.

From reading the FAQ, once I reach A3 Blue status after the first leg, it resets the expiration date for those miles to be the date of the flight. So in essence, after this trip, I would have 6058+1000-4000+6058 = 9116 miles with the expiration date of 6/10(earlier date).

Since my trip is roughly the same time each year, does that mean I just have to make the starting date of the next trip, say, 6/9 or 6/8, to meet the 16,000 miles requirement? Is that pushing it?

Appreciate any thoughts!

PS: Yes, I would be around 826 miles short, but I can squeeze in a quick domestic trip to make sure for those.
yep that sounds good.
though you might have to call A3 if your miles expired before your next-years-new miles appeared, but the only thing counts that you fly Blue+16k miles within 365 days

but you dont have to make an extra trip, get the first SEA-TPE flight this year, get Blue, let the remainder miles expire
collect TPE-SEA and next years SEA-TPE, TPE-SEA, and the only thing you should be carerul is to fly next years return before this years return

Last edited by kanor; Jan 4, 2014 at 5:16 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:12 pm

Hey guys,

Recently took a trip from MEL to BKK in J on thai airways on the 28th of December. My travel agent put in my TG FF number but it changed it to my a3 number at online checkin. I checked the boarding pass and it showed A3* but no number.

The miles credited to my TG FF even though BP said A3.

Any way to fix this?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by kanor
yep that sounds good.
though you might have to call A3 if your miles expired before your next-years-new miles appeared, but the only thing counts that you fly Blue+16k miles within 365 days

but you dont have to make an extra trip, get the first SEA-TPE flight this year, get Blue, let the remainder miles expire
collect TPE-SEA and next years SEA-TPE, TPE-SEA, and the only thing you should be carerul is to fly next years return before this years return
Thanks Kanor! I wasn't sure if it will cause any problem with the system with the date being so close. Hopefully they'll be able to see the miles even after it got expired since no doubt it will take a bit longer for the credit to go through.

Since we don't travel that much, I was hoping to turn Gold before my trip back home to SEA, so we are able to use the benefit for A3 *G a bit.

Do you know if it's possible to transfer miles amongst us to make up for this? We have a party of three with one being a little kid, and I figure if we can use her miles, it will make things easier....
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:52 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

...I would have 6058+1000-4000+6058 = 9116 miles with the expiration date of 6/10(earlier date).

You will have 3058 miles expiring 10 june 2015 and 6058 miles expiring 8 aug 2015. (unless something has changed in the expiry model until then)

Even though it is technically correct your last earning flight need to start at 9 june, I'd say it is pushing it, and would never personally make it that close a call.

PS be a little careful of using / in dates when talking internationally, as 6/10 is undistinguishable between 6 oct or 10 june. I read the previous and got a bit thrown.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Do you know if it's possible to transfer miles amongst us to make up for this? We have a party of three with one being a little kid, and I figure if we can use her miles, it will make things easier....
No mileage transfers possible.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by wozup12
Hey guys,

Recently took a trip from MEL to BKK in J on thai airways on the 28th of December. My travel agent put in my TG FF number but it changed it to my a3 number at online checkin. I checked the boarding pass and it showed A3* but no number.

The miles credited to my TG FF even though BP said A3.

Any way to fix this?
In theory yes, in practice no.

The process of fixing it would be in the line of persuading TG of uncrediting your miles from that account and somehow make the miles claimable again in the star network. Then make A3 claim the miles, or in good faith credit your account.

A few posters have claimed to be successful, so look through the A3 forum to find more information. More posters have been unsuccessful, and even reporting of losing the miles altogether, and my advice would be to let go of these miles and add a new flight to A3 at a later time.

I'd personally never juggle with 2 different FF-programs on one ticket if it was important where the miles ended up, as the risks of mishaps are far to great.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: M&M FTL FB Petroleum / LH Oil & Energy
All,
I just need less than 5000 miles in order to qualify for *G on A3.
As I already have 20000 miles on my M&M account I'd like to know if it is possible to credit both accounts in some way?

The rewards are not very appealing on A3...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by dnviessk
All,
I just need less than 5000 miles in order to qualify for *G on A3.
As I already have 20000 miles on my M&M account I'd like to know if it is possible to credit both accounts in some way?
NO, it's not.

The rewards are not very appealing on A3...
No program is perfect, and maybe this is the price you pay for easy status. If rewards are of the greatest importance to you, maybe you should credit flights to the program that has best value for that.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:49 pm

No program is perfect, and maybe this is the price you pay for easy status. If rewards are of the greatest importance to you, maybe you should credit flights to the program that has best value for that.

I just asked a question no needs to know what you think about the remaining. just provide an answer and no cheeky comments. I'd move to another program if I wanted to.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
NO, it's not.

I just asked a question no needs to know what you think about the remaining. just provide an answer and no cheeky comments. I'd move to another program if I wanted to.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:43 pm

...I just asked a question no needs to know what you think about the remaining. just provide an answer and no cheeky comments. I'd move to another program if I wanted to.
Apologies for not following your... rules! This is a public forum where, one can express his/her opinion freely as long as he/she follows the rules set up by those who initiated it (and run it). If you think that Intuition's answer was offending, just alarm a moderator. Otherwise, let him/her say whatever he/she wants and keep your own cheeky comments for yourself!

PS I leave it up to you to alarm the moderator, if you think that I am rude, and have my post deleted!

Last edited by KLouis; Jan 8, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

OP expressed his discontent with A3 award chart and proposed his own solution. It was clear to me the underlying problem to be solved was to get better awards, and since we cannot change A3's charts, OP would be better off in another program. I cannot see how this answer is supposed to be 'cheeky', but I guess that's what you get for helping strangers on the internet.

Or maybe OP is just frustrated he didn't get help committing fraud on his FF-program. Now, helping him do that actually is in breach of the rules.

Last edited by intuition; Jan 9, 2014 at 12:50 am
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:13 pm

I'm flying from ATH to IST on Aegean and I have United Gold. Will I get a free bag on the Aegean flight or have to pay 20 euros/person?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:48 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
I'm flying from ATH to IST on Aegean and I have United Gold. Will I get a free bag on the Aegean flight or have to pay 20 euros/person?
I assume you are asking because you have purchased a hand-baggage only fare.

If you read Point 11 of http://en.aegeanair.com/travel-infor...ked-questions/

Star Alliance Gold members are entitled to one additional piece of baggage, in any fare category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.