Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pax lights fireworks on NW AMS-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Yes, that's exactly what the TSA wants - to get one step closer to strip-searching every traveler before they board.

How would making this guy go through a WBI have changed anything? This guy had a syringe, some liquid and some powder — none of which are prohibited items.
:-: (ding) They were concealed on his legs. A WBI would have been able to detect them, and any concealed object is investigated. He never would have gotten on the airplane with them.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Awesome, so what happens when they wrap the powder in baggies, stick it up their bum and mix it up in the lavs? Your fancy-schmancy "See Every Traveler Naked" machines won't catch that, will they?

So do you then get to stick a gloved finger up every traveler's butt, prison-style?

Oh, I really shouldn't give the TSA ideas.

Do You Want A Rectal Exam Today, Citizen?

When traveling by air in this country is like entering a maximum-security prison, there's something terribly wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:38 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by browserden
At AMS there's no central security checkpoint for non-Schengen all security is at gate this means everyone is checked.
Okay, sure. I almost never fly non-Schengen from AMS so this detail escaped me. I'll take your word for it. ^
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by TSORon
:-: (ding) They were concealed on his legs. A WBI would have been able to detect them, and any concealed object is investigated. He never would have gotten on the airplane with them.

Oh come on, again this discussion? Images are invasive and disgusting. They detect objects (colostomies, etc) no one should need to know about. Worse, they don't detect threats in body cavities, or even folds. How about using real explosives-detecting technology? Increases in ETDs make sense. Get puffers to work. Stop WBI.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 2:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I think what happened was awful and sad, but I honestly doubt TSA will change anything or change their policies. This was an international flight, from an international airport, and the situation just happened to occur near DTW. Technically, the flight is still international (not in the USA) until it lands and the gate door opens...that's what I heard, anyway.

TSA shouldn't care, as long as it's not due to their incompentence. AMS and other airports will probably tighten security considerably, though.

Just my two cents.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by ajax
Okay, sure. I almost never fly non-Schengen from AMS so this detail escaped me. I'll take your word for it. ^
But you're based in the UK... how do you get to and from AMS if not by flying non-Schengen?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
Oh no!! Not orange!
Please don't!!!!!
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andy1369
I think what happened was awful and sad, but I honestly doubt TSA will change anything or change their policies. This was an international flight, from an international airport, and the situation just happened to occur near DTW. Technically, the flight is still international (not in the USA) until it lands and the gate door opens...that's what I heard, anyway.

TSA shouldn't care, as long as it's not due to their incompentence. AMS and other airports will probably tighten security considerably, though.

Just my two cents.
Security concerns didn't put him into the secondary screening at the gate an he didn't find any suspicious behaviors or lookout inside the bags, too. Security didn't lookup with his pat-down into the gates. I believe AMS security are not taking own responsibilities to find any evidence inside his body.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:17 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
CNN is doing some awful reporting at the moment. They're unclear if the terrorist went through screening at AMS.

All pax go through security at AMS at the gate. In fact you have to complete the ICTS interview prior to clearing security on the NW/DL flights.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Oh come on, again this discussion? Images are invasive and disgusting. They detect objects (colostomies, etc) no one should need to know about. Worse, they don't detect threats in body cavities, or even folds. How about using real explosives-detecting technology? Increases in ETDs make sense. Get puffers to work. Stop WBI.
Honest, I was not attempting to reopen the WBI discussion. I know how many here feel about them (even if they are wrong about it). The point I was making was that this is something that powerful folks outside of the TSA will be advocating for. It’s a prediction, not an official recommendation.

The “puffer” systems don’t work in the checkpoint environment. I cant imagine that they ever will, checkpoints are just far to dusty. And I am not aware of any technology that can replace them at the moment. ETD use is limited by many factors, so while they do a very good job detecting the things they a programmed to detect they just cannot cover the obvious gaps.

As far as “bombs up the bum” are concerned, they are not really much of a threat IMO. There is only so much space there and its not an ideal storage area. Although if OBL wants to use a “Bum Bomb” I know a few folks who would be very happy to light the fuse.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:21 am

LHR backlash

Reports of LHR gate screening for US bound flights AND a strictly enforced 1 pc carry-on (i.e. not 1 pc plus).

Any confirmation?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Gold
onfirmed on Air Canada's website

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/trav_adv/091226.html
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Reports of LHR gate screening for US bound flights AND a strictly enforced 1 pc carry-on (i.e. not 1 pc plus).

Any confirmation?
No.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Air Canada
New rules imposed by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration also limit on-board activities by customers and crew in U.S. airspace that may adversely impact on-board service. Among other things, during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps.
Looks like we've gone overboard again.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:56 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
But you're based in the UK... how do you get to and from AMS if not by flying non-Schengen?
On the rare occasion that I go to AMS, I normally travel on within Schengen: FRA, BRU, CDG, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.