Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:09 pm

Great. Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Just to confirm the information regarding length of trip with the rules experts:

If I purchased the ticket on 17JAN2014 and segment #1 (trips started) occurred on 28FEB2014, what is the latest date I can fly in 2015? Departing from my last stopover.

Thanks.
Departing on 28Feb2014, departure of your last segment has to be on 28Feb2015 or before.
You may arrive on 1Mar2015.

If you purchase on 1st March 2015, and depart on 29th Feb 2016, your last segment has to be on/before 28th Feb 2017.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
Departing on 28Feb2014, departure of your last segment has to be on 28Feb2015 or before.
You may arrive on 1Mar2015.

If you purchase on 1st March 2015, and depart on 29th Feb 2016, your last segment has to be on/before 28th Feb 2017.
(my emphases)
Lazy Sunday here in PER, and have been pondering this

Leave LAX on 28Feb2015 and arrive in SYD on 2Mar2015, having crossed the dateline in flight.

The rule actually states:
7. Return travel from the last stopover point must commence no later than 12 months after departure
(again, my emphasis)
So, there could be a number of transits between the last stopover point and the final destination. Each transit could be up to 24hours long.

The rule on stopovers states:
8. STOPOVERS
Permitted
NOTE: 1. Minimum 2 stopovers required
So if you had an itinerary with two stopovers followed by 13 transits, with 24hrs at each transit point plus a westbound crossing of the dateline, that's two weeks (plus actual flying time) between departing from the last stopover point and reaching the final destination.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by pandaperth
(my emphases)
Lazy Sunday here in PER, and have been pondering this

Leave LAX on 28Feb2015 and arrive in SYD on 2Mar2015, having crossed the dateline in flight.

The rule actually states:
(again, my emphasis)
So, there could be a number of transits between the last stopover point and the final destination. Each transit could be up to 24hours long.

The rule on stopovers states:
So if you had an itinerary with two stopovers followed by 13 transits, with 24hrs at each transit point plus a westbound crossing of the dateline, that's two weeks (plus actual flying time) between departing from the last stopover point and reaching the final destination.
I expect you will run into difficulties trying to get such on an e-ticket.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
IMHO, still general IATA ticketing rule is applied.

For example, according to expertflyer, normal Y fare rule shows

MINIMUM STAY NO MINIMUM STAY REQUIREMENT APPLY.
MAXIMUM STAY NO MAXIMUM STAY REQUIREMENT APPLY.

However, validity of normal fare is still 1 year from the departure.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
On those airline surcharges which are erroneously called taxes, wouldn't their designation as taxes mean that you can deduct them on your Federal tax return if you itemize?
I'm not aware that even true airline taxes can be deducted.

Note 1: you would likely want to have a (short) stopover between flights, rather than transits. This is because later changing a transit to a stopover is considered a re-route and so attracts the USD125 change fee
Are you sure this applies to xONEx (as opposed to xCIRxx)? I recall that on Circle Pacific trips the number of stopovers is limited, and changing transit to stops has implications, but I thought that wasn't the case with xONEx, and I have switched transits to stops without penalty.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you sure this applies to xONEx (as opposed to xCIRxx)? I recall that on Circle Pacific trips the number of stopovers is limited, and changing transit to stops has implications, but I thought that wasn't the case with xONEx, and I have switched transits to stops without penalty.
I have no first hand experience either way (changing a transit to a stopover and either being charged the change fee or not being charged it).
But it is my belief that the change fee is charged, because it requires a re-issue and is therefore considered a re-route.

Searching for evidence, I see a discussion on this in the FAQ Thread around post 280, dated Dec-11 (some of the posts are by jerry a.laska and therefore IMHO carry some authority)
However, if you are sure you have changed Oneworld Explorer transits to stopovers without a change fee, then that is definitive evidence.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I have no first hand experience either way (changing a transit to a stopover and either being charged the change fee or not being charged it).
But it is my belief that the change fee is charged, because it requires a re-issue and is therefore considered a re-route.
In my experience, using the AA RTW desk, even date and time changes require a re-issue (except in cases where only AA flights are changed and the agent does a re-validation). Re-issues don't mean it's considered a re-route nor a fee charged.

Searching for evidence, I see a discussion on this in the FAQ Thread around post 280, dated Dec-11 (some of the posts are by jerry a.laska and therefore IMHO carry some authority)
However, if you are sure you have changed Oneworld Explorer transits to stopovers without a change fee, then that is definitive evidence.
The fact that I've been able to do it without the agent even suggesting it would be a re-route isn't conclusive, since it's possible the agent was mistaken.

I don't see any mention in the rules that to me covers this. The rules do say:
6. STOPOVERS
Permitted NOTE: 1. Minimum 2 stopovers required
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Also
(a) Rebooking/Rerouting
(1)
(2)
Prior to departure
(a) Changes to date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory changes are permitted provided ticketed points remain the same.
(2)
After Departure (a) Date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory changes are permitted provided ticketed points remain the same.
To me, this seems clear that if a connection is changed to a stopover, that is only a date/time change, not a change to a "ticketed point."

My recollection (could easily be wrong of course) is that the xONEx fares don't care about stopovers versus connections (aside from taxes), while the Circle Pacific fares most definitely do care. Here is the text about stopovers in the Circle Pacific rules:
2 STOPOVERS REQUIRED AND A MAXIMUM OF 4 PERMITTED ON
THE PRICING UNIT.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
A MAXIMUM OF 4 FREE PERMITTED ON THE PRICING
UNIT.
---
ONLY ONE STOPOVER PERMITTED AT ANY ONE POINT.
---
TWO STOPOVERS REQUIRED OUTSIDE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.
---
A MAXIMUM OF ONE STOPOVER IN COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.
---
A MAXIMUM OF TWO FREE STOPOVERS PER REGION - SWP/
ASIA/NORTH AMERICA/SOUTH AMERICA.
---
WHERE A PASSENGER DISEMBARKS AT ONE POINT AND
RE-EMBARKS AT A SUBSEQUENT POINT ENROUTE THE
POINTS COUNT AS A SINGLE STOPOVER.
WHERE THERE IS A SURFACE SECTOR BETWEEN TWO
REGIONS THIS WILL COUNT AS A STOPOVER IN EACH
OF THE TWO REGIONS HOWEVER FOR THE PURPOSE OF THE
TOTAL STOPOVERS PERMITTED THIS WILL COUNT AS ONE
STOPOVER ONLY.
---
ADDITIONAL STOPS PERMITTED AT AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE
PER STOPOVER OF USD150.00.
- ADDITIONAL STOPOVERS NOT PERMITTRED IN
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN.
- ONLY ONE ADDITIONAL STOPOVER PERMITTED AT ANY
ONE POINT.
- ADDITIONAL STOPOVERS RESTRICTED TO TWO STOPOVERS
PER REGION.
- CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNT NOT APPLICABLE.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm two-thirds the way through a lengthy oneworld Explorer where the final sector is LHR-JED. Only now, however, have I discovered that Saudi Arabia does not have a tourism industry. To get a visa you must be on business or visiting family; there's no such thing as a tourist visa. Serves me right for only looking for the best mileage!

So I'll have to incur the USD125 re-route fee which is fine. But where to go to.

I expect it will be DOH, DXB or AUH, only AUH of which I have not been to.

Will I have taxes reassessed on the entirety of the remaining itinerary (about six flights) or just the LHR-wherever? Is my understanding correct that QF and BA to DXB, BA to AUH or QR to DOH will all see me hit with a fair bit of tax (upwards of USD100), in addition to the USD125?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danger
I'm two-thirds the way through a lengthy oneworld Explorer where the final sector is LHR-JED. Only now, however, have I discovered that Saudi Arabia does not have a tourism industry. To get a visa you must be on business or visiting family; there's no such thing as a tourist visa. Serves me right for only looking for the best mileage!
I think they also grant visas for visits to Mecca. But perhaps you don't qualify?

So I'll have to incur the USD125 re-route fee which is fine. But where to go to.

I expect it will be DOH, DXB or AUH, only AUH of which I have not been to.
Since you must have started in the Middle East (in order to be ending at JED) - you can finish anywhere in the Middle East; so in addition to DOH, DXB and AUH there are AMM, CAI, BAH, KWI, MCT, BEY and possibly TLV (this perhaps depending on where you originated). This assumes you have only one segment left to get from LHR to the Middle East; if you have more, then there would be more options - fancy a trip to KRT perhaps?
Will I have taxes reassessed on the entirety of the remaining itinerary (about six flights) or just the LHR-wherever? Is my understanding correct that QF and BA to DXB, BA to AUH or QR to DOH will all see me hit with a fair bit of tax (upwards of USD100), in addition to the USD125?
My understanding is that only the changed segments are re-assessed.
Your departure taxes from LHR should be the same (the APD tax is distance-based, but I expect all the Middle Eastern destinations will fall into the same distance band. And the BA fuel fines will be similar.
So the difference will be in the arrival taxes at your destination. (According to itasoftware JED has no arrival taxes)
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Many thanks for all that.

I will look into the Mecca idea but I doubt I would qualify.

Yes, I did begin in the Middle East (SSH). BEY is out as I have been to TLV with this passport and they don't admit people with Israeli stamps. KWI and BAH are options but both seem really quite expensive accommodation wise. I have been to AMM and CAI on this trip so real desire to go back there just yet. MCT was an option I looked at but ruled it out for some reason. From memory, I think it was also the Israeli thing that would prevent a visa.

I indeed only have one more segment remaining.

My view towards DOH, DXB and AUH was principally because I have an AA award JED-xAUH-PEK already booked and ticketed. However, EY has made a schedule change delaying what would have been my departure from JED by 24 hours. Being such a significant change I'm reasonably confident that I will have a bit of leverage in changing the JED-xAUH to X-xAUH, possibly moreso from DOH being so close. (I'm aware EY doesn't fly from DXB.) And of course if it's just AUH-PEK well that's a whole lot easier but not maximising my AA award value. So ideally I'd like a destination that EY services (to simply substitute for JED-xAUH) but that's not overly critical. On top of that, this is for travel between Christmas and new year so award space is likely gone, hence my desire to leverage the significant EY schedule change.

I'll report back on the tax situation when I finally get in a time zone that will allow me to call the AA RTW desk.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm two-thirds the way through a lengthy oneworld Explorer where the final sector is LHR-JED. Only now, however, have I discovered that Saudi Arabia does not have a tourism industry. To get a visa you must be on business or visiting family; there's no such thing as a tourist visa.
This is incorrect. You cannot visit as a tourist on your own, but a local tourism company can arrange the paperwork for you. You will need to be on an "approved" tour, and there used to be some rule about travelling in groups of four, but I imagine that is up to the tour company to set up.

http://www.samallaghi.com/index.php?lng=en has a good reputation
http://sauditourism.sa/en/Pages/default.aspx I found on Google

If you are not a woman (we all have our faults), you can also obtain a three day transit visa that would permit you to go out and wonder around by yourself. If you look in the Trip Reports forums several people have had success with this process. NB., this advice is quite dependent on the passport you hold.

From memory, I think it was also the Israeli thing that would prevent a visa.
An Israeli stamp or two is not a problem for Oman. In fact evidence of visiting Israel is much more likely to be a problem in Saudi Arabia. If you do decide to visit Saudi Arabia as a tourist, I suggest replacing your passport before you go or travelling on a second passport, if your government will issue a second one to you.

As for the taxes, they are simply recalculated on any unflown sectors. If there are more taxes (or fees) to pay, you will be charged. If taxes have gone down, you might get the money back. You are not going to be taxed twice.

Last edited by Calchas; Sep 8, 2014 at 4:22 am
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
As for the taxes, they are simply recalculated on any unflown sectors.
(my emphasis)
I was unaware of this - I believed re-calculation was only for the changed segments; in other words you get back the taxes and charges on segments you are dropping and you pay taxes and charges on segments you are adding, but that segments that are unchanged (and not yet flown) are not recalculated (which would mean additional payments if any of their taxes and charges have increased since you paid for the ticket).
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is incorrect. You cannot visit as a tourist on your own, but a local tourism company can arrange the paperwork for you. You will need to be on an "approved" tour, and there used to be some rule about travelling in groups of four, but I imagine that is up to the tour company to set up.
My apologies. I am aware of visas available to tourist groups, just not as an individual. But my post was misleading; poor form on my part.

If you are not a woman (we all have our faults), you can also obtain a three day transit visa that would permit you to go out and wonder around by yourself. If you look in the Trip Reports forums several people have had success with this process. NB., this advice is quite dependent on the passport you hold.
Indeed, that is one fault I will carry to my grave.

The only information I could find on Saudi transit visas was for a maximum of eight hours. But I'll check out the trip report forum and see what information I can find. The Saudi Embassy in Canberra has been completely and totally unhelpful, ignoring my email for well over a month.

An Israeli stamp or two is not a problem for Oman. In fact evidence of visiting Israel is much more likely to be a problem in Saudi Arabia. If you do decide to visit Saudi Arabia as a tourist, I suggest replacing your passport before you go or travelling on a second passport, if your government will issue a second one to you.
Buggered again. I do indeed have an Israeli stamp.

As for the taxes, they are simply recalculated on any unflown sectors. If there are more taxes (or fees) to pay, you will be charged. If taxes have gone down, you might get the money back. You are not going to be taxed twice.
Well that doesn't sound so great. It would mean I'd have to wait until four days before departure - the date of arrival into LHR - before booking the new sector. I'll have to really suss the AA RTW desk out on this one, particularly considering it will be Christmas when I travel.

Thank you for the info. More research for me, it seems.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My apologies. I am aware of visas available to tourist groups, just not as an individual. But my post was misleading; poor form on my part.
Perhaps my post was too sharp. My understanding is that the tour companies can help you "find a group" and then set up the visa for you. If you still want to visit.

The only information I could find on Saudi transit visas was for a maximum of eight hours. But I'll check out the trip report forum and see what information I can find. The Saudi Embassy in Canberra has been completely and totally unhelpful, ignoring my email for well over a month.
There is definitely a 72 hour transit visa available, which permits you to leave the airport. An Australian shouldn't have any problem getting such a visa, at least no more than anyone else (except for the Israeli stamp—don't they do those on detachable paper now?).

Buggered again. I do indeed have an Israeli stamp.
Look it might be a problem, or it might not. However, Oman is also a great place to visit and it won't be a problem there.

Well that doesn't sound so great. It would mean I'd have to wait until four days before departure - the date of arrival into LHR - before booking the new sector. I'll have to really suss the AA RTW desk out on this one, particularly considering it will be Christmas when I travel.

Thank you for the info. More research for me, it seems.
I'm not sure what you mean. You can change the ticket at any time, you don't have to wait in between flown sectors. Unless you paid UK Air Passenger Duty or airport service fees before they went up last year and you want to avoid paying the difference?

However, others here think that only the changed coupons—not the entire fare component—will be recalculated, so I might be wrong on that score anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.