Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:55 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I expect they will reset early as per before but I don't think we'll really know until it actually starts happening.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
The other issue is the glitch in issuing the companion GO card: with only precisely 12 months validity for the companion GO card, a DM has zero incentive to issue it until the very end of his MPC year, in order to lock the GO card member's year in tandem with the DM.
Can I ask your experience when you hit 1,600 CP and were issued with the 4 upgrades? Do you have 12 months to use them from the day they were put into your account, or 12 months from the end of your current Diamond membership year?

I am sitting at 1,565 CP with 4 months remaining in my membership year. I will hit 1,600 CP for sure (and when exactly I hit this will be under my control, depending on when I choose to credit the flights...either right away or retroactively). Doubt I will hit 1,800 CP, and even if I could, the companion Gold Card is of no use to me.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Can I ask your experience when you hit 1,600 CP and were issued with the 4 upgrades? Do you have 12 months to use them from the day they were put into your account, or 12 months from the end of your current Diamond membership year?

I am sitting at 1,565 CP with 4 months remaining in my membership year. I will hit 1,600 CP for sure (and when exactly I hit this will be under my control, depending on when I choose to credit the flights...either right away or retroactively). Doubt I will hit 1,800 CP, and even if I could, the companion Gold Card is of no use to me.
I cannot know for sure, since my year ends April 30 (precisely when MPC switched over). Sorry! Yes, my mid-tier benefits expire on the last day of my membership year in 2017 (April 30), but this is also 12 months from when they were put into my account....since I was one of the people whose year ended right when they changed over. So I am unfortunately the wrong person to ask.

However, I'm in the same boat as you. Since I reset May 1, I haven't hit either yet in the current membership year. I am just clearing 1,200 CP now. Unless I really pull back on business to CX/OneWorld, I will clear 1,600 sometime in 4Q and 1,800 sometime between 4Q and Jan. Obviously I have some discretion here and so I'm in the same boat as you, trying to strategize.

For me, the question is when I hit 1,800 CP, not if. But even though I can get 1,800 CP within 8-9 months, the question is should I keep this pace? Or should I slow it down? Similar idea as you with 1,600 CP. If I can hear from others whether CX will issue the GO card until end of DM membership year (like someone said QF does), I will book cash tix asap to hit the #. If not, I'll probably fly other airlines or burn CX miles. At least I'll be more of a free agent just making sure I hit 1,800 by the end of my membership year.

Eg, if I hit 1,800 CP in January, will CX will grant my companion Gold card from Jan 2017 until April 2018 which is the end of my next DM year? If not, I don't have an incentive to hit 1,800 any faster. Because as discussed previously, since the terms say the GO card is valid for precisely 1 year, I could have a weird situation where I don't hit 1,800 as fast next year, and my companion loses GO for a few months before me re-upping it. Just kinda strange to me. If CX sticks to the letter of their rules, I'm just going to wait until May 1 to issue the GO card, ensuring that my companion doesn't have the issue of losing GO while "waiting" for me to hit 1,800 next year if I do it slower. In essence, you are (slightly) penalized for hitting 1,800 too fast. You are penalized even more if you hit it before 6 months, since you must issue the GO card within 6 months of eligibility. Effectively, this forces you to not align your companion's year with yours. But I doubt too many people are hitting 1,800 CP in 6 months .
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium

For me, the question is when I hit 1,800 CP, not if. But even though I can get 1,800 CP within 8-9 months, the question is should I keep this pace? Or should I slow it down? Similar idea as you with 1,600 CP. If I can hear from others whether CX will issue the GO card until end of DM membership year (like someone said QF does), I will book cash tix asap to hit the #. If not, I'll probably fly other airlines or burn CX miles. At least I'll be more of a free agent just making sure I hit 1,800 by the end of my membership year.

Eg, if I hit 1,800 CP in January, will CX will grant my companion Gold card from Jan 2017 until April 2018 which is the end of my next DM year? If not, I don't have an incentive to hit 1,800 any faster. Because as discussed previously, since the terms say the GO card is valid for precisely 1 year, I could have a weird situation where I don't hit 1,800 as fast next year, and my companion loses GO for a few months before me re-upping it. Just kinda strange to me. If CX sticks to the letter of their rules, I'm just going to wait until May 1 to issue the GO card, ensuring that my companion doesn't have the issue of losing GO while "waiting" for me to hit 1,800 next year if I do it slower. In essence, you are (slightly) penalized for hitting 1,800 too fast. You are penalized even more if you hit it before 6 months, since you must issue the GO card within 6 months of eligibility. Effectively, this forces you to not align your companion's year with yours. But I doubt too many people are hitting 1,800 CP in 6 months .
I called MPO to check as I'll be crossing the 1800 point in about 3 weeks. Agent told me I will have THREE months from the date I cross the 1800 point threshold to nominate a person for the companion GO card. For e.g., if I cross the 1800 point threshold on 15 Oct 2016, I will have until 14 Jan 2017 to choose who I want to gift this GO card to. Hope this answer your question.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I called MPO to check as I'll be crossing the 1800 point in about 3 weeks. Agent told me I will have THREE months from the date I cross the 1800 point threshold to nominate a person for the companion GO card. For e.g., if I cross the 1800 point threshold on 15 Oct 2016, I will have until 14 Jan 2017 to choose who I want to gift this GO card to. Hope this answer your question.
1) Not only is that worse, but the agent gave you advice that violates their own T&C!! It clearly states SIX months not three.

2) my question/main issue doesn't relate to the timing of the card issuance (6 months per T&C, 3 months per your call, et ); it is with the duration of the companion GO card. By the letter of the rules this duration is precisely 12 months. This creates a dilemma for DMs; what if you cross now, and say that's in month 8 of your membership year, and you issue the GO card. Your companion has GO until end of month 8 in year 2. But in year 2, what if you don't cross 1800 CP until month 12? Effectively your companion loses GO for 4 months simply because you earned TOO FAST the previous year! This seems....stupid. just not thought out all the way by CX is my guess, because logically you don't want to incenticize your flyers to fly less and SLOW the pace of our travel in CX!

Right now I'm actually considering moving business for two round trips (BR for one, SQ for another) since I will otherwise hit 1800 points "too fast" this year. I wish CX would amend the companion card to be "valid until the underlying Diamond cardholder's next membership year end", some language like that. So I have the full year next year to re-up my companion's card. Otherwise, I have no incentive this year to clear 1800 points early. I could do it by December, with about 4.5 months left (I renew in May), but probably will fly SQ in December instead to delay me having to issue the GO card. I don't feel like issuing it early and then perpetually having to feel rushed to hit 1800 points in 7-8 month's tine. Especially since they told you 3 months!!!! Which is wrong, but still....I wonder if the T&C were printed incorrectly and 3 months was their real intention.

Last edited by QRC3288; Sep 30, 2016 at 9:46 am
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:58 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Excellent, congratulations.
So it turns out that arriving in Vancouver I was at 560 points, 40 short of renewing gold. My plans for SFO changed so I didn't get the AA points required for me to renew as the cutoff was Sept 30th, 2016.

To my surprise they renewed me on Oct 1st even though I was 40 points short, and my 90 + 15 points on my return from YVR-HKG-MNL will go towards my post renewal.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: QF CX
I have to say, that the new system is very draconian for a Y class flyer who flies over 150k miles a year mostly long haul). I did however write a letter into MP pleading my case of the amount of hours I spend in Y andthat the fact that they are so good to DMs makes the travel (and my job) sustainable.
I expected a cold answer of suggesting I pay more for tickets, however they reply was a more pleasant "lets see where you are close to your anniversary, and we will see what we can do". Obviously no commitment, but encouraging just the same.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by JoshZT
I have to say, that the new system is very draconian for a Y class flyer who flies over 150k miles a year mostly long haul). I did however write a letter into MP pleading my case of the amount of hours I spend in Y andthat the fact that they are so good to DMs makes the travel (and my job) sustainable.
I expected a cold answer of suggesting I pay more for tickets, however they reply was a more pleasant "lets see where you are close to your anniversary, and we will see what we can do". Obviously no commitment, but encouraging just the same.
I would translate it as "Let's see how much you spent at the end of the year"...

A rough wild guessing... Assume all are HKG-JFK, say 8K per trip, you got 160k miles at year end, i.e. 20 sectors

In V sub class = 800 CPs, guess they will move you to GO
In B or even Y sub class = 1000 CPs, guess they will be happy to keep you in DM
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Thread unstickied as it's been 6 months since the changes.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I heard a rumour on the weekend from someone who works in one of CX's agencies that there are going to be some improvements in benefits to Diamonds coming along. I have no other details aside from that. So put this in the highly speculative bucket.

Whether they are true improvements or "enhancements" remains to be seen.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Cooking lobsters as well?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by sxc
I heard a rumour on the weekend from someone who works in one of CX's agencies that there are going to be some improvements in benefits to Diamonds coming along. I have no other details aside from that. So put this in the highly speculative bucket.

Whether they are true improvements or "enhancements" remains to be seen.
Would be grateful if they offer "Enhance" to DM at "reasonable" price as a token of appreciation....
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I will second the moderator's point. I have just received a call from someone claiming to be from MPO management (withheld her name for privacy reasons), and asking me to fly F/C class more often with Cathay because there will be new and exciting benefits coming to Diamond tier very soon. She extended my account 3 months to make up the points I needed to retain Diamond (I stopped at 800 points when I've decided to give up on Diamond and just go with AA EXP instead).

She couldn't tell me the benefits as I, like everyone else, needed to wait for the official announcement. But she claims I will not regret it. I can easily make up that 400 points in 2 months time but I shall wait and see this "unregretable enhancement" first. I am not holding my breath. The only way Cathay can win me back is to offer the following benefits: bonus tier miles, use Cathay C lounge regardless of airline flying (now that Pier C is amazing), and some kind of lifetime accumulation. I am still very upset to be a Diamond for 15+ years and Cathay has no problem demoting me as soon as it's able.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:17 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Interesting....hope it's not a bait and switch

Also, there seems to be numerous anecdotes on here on MPC being lenient on qualification/requalification criteria. I wonder if this was their plan all along, or whether they have seen travel patterns drop off unexpectedly. We know that business generally is down, but how much of CX's malaise is also due to changes in their loyalty program?

And for those who were happy that the new program meant less Diamonds, looks like CX is countering this by extending membership years and "near enough is good enough" tier upgrades.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I saw this forum has massive amount of posts on the warrants of the new program. I will not comment on the Y+ and Y Diamonds validity. I do want to say that Cathay has lost me, a F/C Diamond, because they pretty much strip the program down so much that all the "benefits" left are the same as flying in F/C class itself. There are absolutely nothing left that benefits me personally by staying with Cathay and maintaining their Diamond tier. I have already earned so many points with AA courtesy of their multi-layer points earning program, and I already earned enough AA points to redeem round-trip Cathay F ticket.

Based on the number of times Cathay has called me since I've reduced my flights with them, I also believe Cathay just realized they have made a big mistake at the wrong time. Reducing your program is something you do when you are making record profits and your demand out numbers your supply, not the other way around. I was truly shock when Cathay decided to launch their new program in 2016 when all the numbers from their own book suggests things are not going well at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.