Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:49 am

Angry

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
for GO, these upgrade vouchers is for regional flights only whilst DM upgrades are for systemwide including all longhaul routes. I think everyone is still puzzled on this 'bookable upgrades'. CX definitely needs to clarify on the underlying fare class that is eligible for using this upgrade voucher or any restrictions with regard the use of these bookable upgrades.
Ok, this make sense. If one can upgrade on any fare class then it's a big applause.

This changes dont actually tackle most of the "issues" we discussed before, over crowding, priority queue etc etc... Removal of guaranteed seats in V class is a big Booooooooo!!!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:55 am

Very interesting thread so far. A few comments from me by way of clarification.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.

Redemption vs. Bookable Upgrades
There have been queries about the priority of bookable upgrades compared to redemption bookings. Bookable upgrades will be booked in a higher subclass than all redemption bookings.

Membership Holidays
The intention behind membership holidays is to help members that need to temporarily stop or significantly reduce their flying. For example, if they were studying or perhaps pregnant or sick. They would not be able to enjoy club benefits if they travelled during their membership holiday.

Great start to all these developments.

Best Wishes
AgencyGuy
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
All I would add is that it's a great shame that CX's loyalty horizon is 12 months. I moved to Hong Kong in 1999; it's been my home ever since, and in those 16 years I have never taken another airline on a route that CX flies. I've booked very close to 1 million club miles and would have booked probably half a million more if there had been any incentive to do so after retaining Diamond for each of the 7 years I had it (instead they went to AA even while my flights still went to CX).

But my travel wound down, and now I'm retired so I fly little. It would have cost CX more or less nothing to ensure what little I do spend these days continued to go to CX (and hence for me continuing to be a fan of CX and recommend it to friends and family): for example, lifetime Silver for 1 Million club miles, lifetime Gold for 2 million club miles.

As it is, my Green membership (not that it's worth anything) will be gone soon, and what money I do spend will go to the cheapest available carrier for the class I want to fly.

In my view CX should stop referring to loyalty when they talk of their frequent flyer programme - it is a club for short-term kickbacks, and nothing to do with rewarding loyalty as the term is generally understood.

And I wish I'd put all of those miles into AA all along, where I would have comfortably got to lifetime Platinum given the higher earn rate on AAdvantage.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by QRC3288
5) Fyi, our AM redemption bookings are non refundable, and CANNOT be upfared to an F redemption even if F opens up. This is the key point. AA will let folks cancel a J redemption and book F at the last minute, a de facto upfare we can't do.
I'm confused by this assertion, which seems to be contradicted by http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/site/terms#13 which states, inter alia:
7. All tickets for Airline Award Travel are valid for 12 months from the date of issue, unless otherwise specified. Promotional tickets may have a more restricted validity.

8. Tickets for Airline Award Travel rebooking:

Is available for changes of confirmed flight date or flight number for tickets issued on or after 8 October 2013, with the same itinerary, same airline, and same ticket expiry date.
Incurs a charge only if changing from one confirmed flight date/number to another confirmed flight date/number.
Is charged at USD25 or 1,000 mileage credits per flight sector, per passenger.

9. Tickets for Airline Award Travel may be re-issued:

Only for travel by the same person
Provided no part of the ticket for Airline Award Travel has been used
Subject to additional mileage credits being required if the new journey belongs to a higher award zone
USD100 or 10,000 mileage credits will be charged each time a ticket is reissued.
Subject to having the same expiry date as the original ticket and for use on the same airline

10. Once tickets for Airline Award Travel are issued, they are non-transferrable but refundable.

Provided no part of the ticket for Airline Award Travel has been used.
Refund before ticket expiry date.
USD120 or 12,000 mileage credits will be charged per ticket as a handling fee.
It seems to me that it is possible to confirm in J and then rebook in F, albeit at a cost of either USD100 or USD120 depending on whether that is regarded as a cancellation and new award or as a reissue.

Please could you tell me what I am misunderstanding?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:43 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Christep: I think qrc3288 means we can't do it for free - we need to pay us$100 each time we upgrade a sector or turn a one way into a return, and us$120 to cancel an award ("redeposit your miles" in AA speak). AA charges one way at 50% return, and EXPs don't have redeposit fees.

Qrc3288: I agree with most of what you said to nyc212, tho there is one way we can use waitlists against aa redeemers when close in - *if* we managed to find redeem dates "we can live with" (normally this means one way is good and one way dates not as good), we can ticket the not so good date, tell agents to remove the deadlines, wait for the waitlists to clear in T-36 to 24 hours and then rebook for a relatively acceptable 1000 mile.

Of course aa redeemers have a lot more flexibility redeeming segment by segment, and some can redeposit miles for free.

Agencyguy: some consolation but having to reach DM and then fly 33% more to get the bookable upgrades (the regional ones are meaningless) is a bit steep...doesn't AA give eight/year at EXP level?

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 30, 2015 at 8:16 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Lost of seat guarantee

Just wondering, has anyone ever not been able to book into Y subfare class even on overbooked flights? How is it a seat guarantee then? Even in the worst case scenario for me flying YYZ/JFK/ORD I’ve always been able to book into Y, I just chose to book into V because its cheaper. I’ve never encountered the situation where even if I wanted to pay full fare I couldn’t get it.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by JeCCo
By turning the seat guarantee into something that is only useful if you're not footing the bill, CX have basically removed any distinction between a SL and GO, especially if you only just qualify for GO and therefore won't have the 1000TP required to obtain the upgrade certificates...
After 15 Apr, aside from the guaranteed Y sub-class, SL and GO would then only differ by an additional 5kg bag allowance, 1 guest to J lounge and privilege with OW member airlines as OWR usually has no priority treatment...

For me and others CX/KA only / heavy (over 90%) flyer, I agree that it's close to no difference (for my leisure trip.... I foresee that my business trip will still be using the Y sub-class guarantee.....)

Originally Posted by QRC3288
3) MPC gives me a "deadline" of 1 week before departure to ticket. We must ticket at the deadline or lose the J seat.
1 week before departure? I usually can get a shorter deadline through my TA...

Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
Very interesting thread so far. A few comments from me by way of clarification.

Redemption vs. Bookable Upgrades
There have been queries about the priority of bookable upgrades compared to redemption bookings. Bookable upgrades will be booked in a higher subclass than all redemption bookings.
You say "higher subclass" not "higher priority"... So I assume bookable upgrade means it will be in E / I / A sub-class and will be utilising the revenue inventory rather than redemption inventory????

Originally Posted by percysmith
Christer: I think qrc3288 means we can't do it for free - we need to pay us$100 each time we upgrade a sector or turn a one way into a return, and us$120 to cancel an award ("redeposit your miles" in AA speak). AA charges one way at 50% return, and EXPs don't have redeposit fees.
I was thinking QRC3288 means F redemption and J revenue booking are separate booking... Once ticketed J revenue you can't say "Hey I now get the F redemption and please cancel my J booking" (for D / I sub-class... Cancellation = cancellation fee apply), nor "Hey I now have an F redemption. Please up my J booking" (for J / C sub-class... My understanding is you can't transfer the F redemption into a J to F upgrade because they two are different booking... But once you release your F redemption seat it'll gone for good...).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
Just wondering, has anyone ever not been able to book into Y subfare class even on overbooked flights? How is it a seat guarantee then? Even in the worst case scenario for me flying YYZ/JFK/ORD I’ve always been able to book into Y, I just chose to book into V because its cheaper. I’ve never encountered the situation where even if I wanted to pay full fare I couldn’t get it.
Think about chinese new year- it does happen.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: BA
Inspired from this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html). I think we shoud start something similar here soon.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Think about chinese new year- it does happen.
I’m not sure if that’s as applicable for YYZ, its usually the fullest I find in May, which is when university students are flocking home.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Silver
I'm very disappointed they have gutted the most valuable benefit to me - the guaranteed seat availability in V class. (How many people actually buy Y class fares anyway?)

The changes to the programme makes it very hard for people based in outports to remain loyal to Cathay Pacific - and that's coming from me, a CX fan boy. I've always promoted CX to my friends and family and have encouraged them to fly CX, but in view of these recent changes (and the deteriorating J offering compared to its competitors) I think I myself will be considering jumping ship - either to another programme within OneWorld or to another alliance.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
1 week before departure? I usually can get a shorter deadline through my TA...
QRC3288 meant redemption. You mean buying.

You say "higher subclass" not "higher priority"... So I assume bookable upgrade means it will be in E / I / A sub-class and will be utilising the revenue inventory rather than redemption inventory????
I thought it may be akin to (but not necessarily the same booking class as) companion redemption.

I was thinking QRC3288 means F redemption and J revenue booking are separate booking... Once ticketed J revenue you can't say "Hey I now get the F redemption and please cancel my J booking" (for D / I sub-class... Cancellation = cancellation fee apply), nor "Hey I now have an F redemption. Please up my J booking" (for J / C sub-class... My understanding is you can't transfer the F redemption into a J to F upgrade because they two are different booking... But once you release your F redemption seat it'll gone for good...).
Yes you can - see my May 2014 SYD-HKG-SYD redemptions

My sister in law and niece are effectively double-reissued - start with return PE, reissue the outbound in J 2-3 days out (so it becomes one-way J one-way PE), reissue the inbound in J 4-8 days out (so it becomes one way J x 2), claim the difference between two one-way and return J on completion on trip.

I tried to have the inbound reissue charge for both SIL and niece reversed because I've already paid it on the outbound but my complaint fell on deaf ears.

(An AA redeemer will not have to pay a fee to upgrade like I did. Even if not EX.)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Doraemat
I'm very disappointed they have gutted the most valuable benefit to me - the guaranteed seat availability in V class. (How many people actually buy Y class fares anyway?)
I only found out about guarantee seat books in V even if V is not available for sale recently. I probably wouldn't know about this feature until after I made Gold (or jagmeets explained it to me) but I appreciate the value now (and why this is probably costing CX).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
My typical travel is 8-14 RTN flights in Y or PEY from LHR to Asia per annum.

I think this is better than the BA changes that made me change my OW depository to AM/MPC.

Its crazy now as I was, still am a OWS with BA, they did not down grade me despite being 100TP of renewal at 600TP. I switched to CX and made GO in six months. I truly thought I could mange to make DM using HKG as a hub and flying CX to South Korea, Malaysia and various cities in China from LHR for work. All the travelling is done in the correct Y or occasional PEY ticketed classes to get maximum mileage, but now I dont see it, so that amazing new first class lounge that I read so much about the Pier....is always in my dreams or a million miles away.

Suppose I will have to burn a few of my million miles and treat myself to a trip in first...

When looking at the calculator/tables for earnings I fear a bug is in there.
Since I was zeroed at GO, I have flown the following sectors for 7955 Asia Miles

BA route MAN-LHR in M class = 5 pts CX 5pts BA
CX route LHR-HKG in E class = 45pts CX 90pts BA
CX route HKG-ICN in H class = 15pts CX 20pts BA

MPC shows I will have 80pts so somewhere there is a small bug.

So comparing the the above with BA I would have 115 Tier Points and with CX 65 Points with both having the same target of 600, I need to consider again my OW accounts...

No choice, CX is far better to fly with than BA, and Im sure there will be a wealth of information on here how to amass Points on low, low cost..Tier Point Runs..

One grip is the difference with PEY on CX and BA WTP 45 verses 90.

As for upgrade vouchers..that would be beyond my wildest dreams, so no comment.

Redemptions unchanged, thats very good news, compared to BA.

Last edited by Engineering Travel; Sep 30, 2015 at 8:57 am Reason: Soju speak
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel

When looking at the calculator/tables for earnings I fear a bug is in there.
Since I was zeroed at GO, I have flown the following sectors for 7955 Asia Miles

BA route MAN-LHR in M class = 5 pts CX 5pts BA
CX route LHR-HKG in E class = 45pts CX 90pts BA
CX route HKG-ICN in H class = 15pts CX 20pts BA

MPC shows I will have 80pts so somewhere there is a small bug.
That's right. Your point should be 80 based on the fact that you currently have 7955 miles. The point transfer does not retrospectively re-calculate your flights based on the new system. I don't think CX IT is that tech savvy enough to do that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.