Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by hadsst
+1

I hope Agency Guy could explain to us what real additional benefits of being a GO over SL in the new scheme apart from the OW benefits.

The additional baggage allowance is not an exclusive CX benefit. For Y flyers the extra 15kg or 1 piece is available for all OWS members.

And you need to fly way above the GO criteria to get those stingy mid-tier benefits - lounge coupons for someone else to use. Bookable upgrades on shorthaul? Sure it will be easy to book one when CX is retrofitting its regional aircrafts to reduce like 40% of J seats!

Why not attain OWS somewhere else then?
Hadsst, that's what I intend to do. I will have enough to retain my DM status until December 2016 but I will be spending the whole of next year migrating to either AA, or a programme with star alliance.

I'm so glad I haven't booked any travel with CX for 2016 yet.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by nyah
I found it really absurd that discount PEY earns the same point as YBHK. I may as well fly K and CX will earn approx. 300-500 euro less per ticket I booked...
+1 here

why bother to pay PEY for almost the same services as YBHK right?!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by chongcao
You guys should be happy that CX did not go the way PPS went. And the new system is somewhere in between BA and QF.

Yes it is hard for Y flyers. But if you stick with CX, Y flyers are still having their benefits like lounge access. It is pity CX has not addressed the problem of the overflowing in its lounges yet. (Silver still has lounge access)

The real gain is to be able to earn miles on SQN! That is much better than before. The revamped programme is actually much better than many have anticipated. The guaranteed seats in Y is not a big issue really, especially for leisure travellers.

Overall, positive changes IMO. But I have abandoned CXMPC long time ago for QF and AA. So nothing for me really.
Chongcao I beg to differ. I will reach my 120,000 miles this year and all of those miles will be earnt travelling for leisure. Of those miles, 117,000 miles will be on CX.

I am based at an outport so this is not an easy task (for example, earlier this year I flew from LHR to ORD via HKG on CX). The guaranteed seat availability is the most valued benefit for me - I can't always take my leave exactly when I want to and it's great to know that when I can get time off, I can book the exact flights I want in V class (ie: at a reasonable price) even if they are full. I agree that the price probably isn't so much of a concern when you are travelling for business (ie: when you are not paying for it yourself), but sadly that is not the case for me.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
It is pity CX has not addressed the problem of the overflowing in its lounges yet. (Silver still has lounge access)
They have made some attempt... A portion of Silver's are being weeded out because the requirement to retain this status is now higher. Naturally the number of SL's clogging up the lounges will decrease; plus the fact that DM's are unable to use the lounge if flying another airline, this will eliminate another small portion of lounge patrons.

Last edited by GE90-115B; Sep 30, 2015 at 1:54 pm
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by flyertalk2015
+1 here

Er... I do to some extent - (i) PEY is still more comfortable, and (ii) AFAIK, R & E usually cost less than Y & B for SFO (that can happen if I do not use seat guarantee).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Er... I do to some extent - (i) PEY is still more comfortable, and (ii) AFAIK, R & E usually cost less than Y & B for SFO (that can happen if I do not use seat guarantee).

my point of view was for chasing the points/miles, so if you focus on the points... it is not fair to pay PEY but not getting better points compare with full price Econ

for other factors of cuz PEY is better than econ for sure.. the cost and benefits may not..

Somehow, it is quite interesting since I have checking out pricing from CX, AA and credit card website.. I am surprised that quite a Big differences for pricing and class you can get... I found a PEY flight on a site but on CX or AA website is $500 or more..
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
I am confused with one point....

"Bookable Upgrades" - Does that means no one can request or book for a one class upgrade or return one class upgrade anymore after you purchase a airfare? Except if you are a Gold or Diamond of course.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
Redemption vs. Bookable Upgrades
There have been queries about the priority of bookable upgrades compared to redemption bookings. Bookable upgrades will be booked in a higher subclass than all redemption bookings.
OK ... this is very very interesting. I'm reading this as CX going back to the good old days whereby it is willing to open up certain revenue bucket. If my logic below is right then I think CX is finally putting MPC members first.

Say we're talking about First class redemption.
1) CX will start each flight with 0 Z class. Therefore no-one - MPC or partner airline members - can redeem first class seat. This is a necessity to make these bookable upgrade coupons a 'priority' since CX presumably doesn't want to cannibalize revenue seats.
2) If you happen to have these bookable upgrade coupons, the coupon will 'look' at A class which is a revenue seat and your upgrade request is confirmed. The A CX uses is essentially the current Z. So someone who fly a lot (you need to be GO or DM to get those coupons in the first place) and paid for his/her seat with cash (this is upgrade coupon not straight redemption) will get priority over others.
3) If you're trying to do straight redemption (or upgrade using AM), you will be put on a waiting list.
4) Z class will be opened say 2 weeks prior to flight.
5) Everyone on the waiting list - MPC members only naturally - will be cleared first.
6) Partner airline members can then access any remaining Z bucket.

Repeat the same process for U class (business class redemption).

Is my logic sound? Do you think this is what CX will really really really do?

Not that it will benefit me (at this point I don't think I can get to 1600 TP) but I'm perfectly fine with other, more valuable MPC members sitting up-front. In theory it should increase all MPC members' chance for points upgrade/redemption since all redemption buckets won't be opened until much later rather that 3xx days in advance ...

Originally Posted by sscywong
You say "higher subclass" not "higher priority"... So I assume bookable upgrade means it will be in E / I / A sub-class and will be utilising the revenue inventory rather than redemption inventory????
I certainly hope that is what he meant. I'm sure there's a reason for it but I think booking it in a higher subclass is a roundabout way to make these coupons a higher priority. By shifting Z to A (or U to I) and use it for these coupons, CX isn't cannibalizing its 'true' revenue seats.

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Whether the upgrade passes are a material benefit depends on whether you're able to use them. Currently, it's often not possible to use miles to get an upgrade at short notice on popular routes. After the passes are introduced, there's no reason more availability would open up and F will still be busy with redemptions from partner airlines, one suspects.
So the "four upgrades" will likely only equate to four upgrades for those who are able to plan their travel far in advance.
Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Agree. Unless cx stops this nonsense of letting partner awards scoop up 6 f seats on 77W, all upgrade vouchers are good as sh!t
AgencyGuy seems to suggest the bookable upgrade coupons will look for a different/revenue bucket. So using it shouldn't be an issue since it is a 'priority'. The one i'm really interested in knowing is that how many Z and U will CX start for each flight? That is key in determining whether MPC members come out ahead.

Last edited by Rivarix; Sep 30, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

Predominantly Y flyers may find it difficult
to switch to other programs, no? AA doesn't award anything for most economy fares on CX. And BA has a 2 or 4 segment BA requirement for ruby and sapphire/emerald respectively. So unless you fly to Europe regularly you'll struggle.

I'm not surprised that the new system will make it harder for discount Y flyers to earn status. I'm more surprised that it won't be easier to earn status I'm higher cabins, relatively speaking. They've gone for incremental differences in points earned by cabin flown when I would ha e expected them to go for multiples.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Predominantly Y flyers may find it difficult
to switch to other programs, no? AA doesn't award anything for most economy fares on CX.
You can get E class at 1.5x EQP. It takes only five RTs SFO-HKG (plus whatever minimum AA segment requirements) to get to EXP within a calendar year and without EQP/EQM reset.

Thinking...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
Let's restrict this discussion to the actual changes - not changes you wish would happen.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator.
CX is still continuing to evaluate the feedbacks from this change. Apr 15 is more than 6 months away. Sure, CX might have already made up their mind and not budge an inch. But as could been seen from the other mega thread, AgencyGuy and CX had indeed taken into consideration (some) of the feedback's members expressed on here. I don't see how such discussion would be irrelevant to this thread's topic.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
Just wondering, has anyone ever not been able to book into Y subfare class even on overbooked flights? How is it a seat guarantee then? Even in the worst case scenario for me flying YYZ/JFK/ORD I’ve always been able to book into Y, I just chose to book into V because its cheaper. I’ve never encountered the situation where even if I wanted to pay full fare I couldn’t get it.
Y might be a bit steep but like CrazyJ82 mention, offering V fares to every GO/DM was just too generous and CX was definitely leaving too much revenue on the table for too many years. They should made it a "devaluation" and made it into something along the lines of HKM.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Originally Posted by Daffie
Y might be a bit steep but like CrazyJ82 mention, offering V fares to every GO/DM was just too generous and CX was definitely leaving too much revenue on the table for too many years. They should made it a "devaluation" and made it into something along the lines of HKM.
Don’t forget many GO and DM usually fly in J, at least as an outport MPC member, I’ve attained GO by flying J. But I do agree that HKM would’ve been much better than full-fare.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
The points system is just plainly unfair to PEY flyers: Traveling E fare gets the same points as K fare? Is CX trying to kill PEY and just give a finger to PEY cabin buyer such as myself?
Originally Posted by nyah
I found it really absurd that discount PEY earns the same point as YBHK. I may as well fly K and CX will earn approx. 300-500 euro less per ticket I booked...
Originally Posted by flyertalk2015
+1 here

What's so surprising here? It has always been the case where long haul (any maybe SH?)'s (close to) full fare Econ fare class cost just as much, if not more, than discounted PEY.

If you're traveling on SH, then yes - there's not much service difference. But it's mainly the chair (agruable) and comfort you're paying for. (And that extra J plated meal)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Almost every Economy and Premium Economy flight across the board has a devaluation in terms of status earning power. Premium economy devaluation is a surprise to many but there are a few sweet spots in the changes...

I reverse engineered the program in a few hours and created my own calculator. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think: https://www.flyora.com/data/cathay-p...calculator.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.