Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:46 am

ORD hub?

Does anyone care to speculate what will be the future of the AA's ORD hub post-merger? I heard rumblings that the hub might poach flights from both PHL and CLT.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trvlr70
Does anyone care to speculate what will be the future of the AA's ORD hub post-merger? I heard rumblings that the hub might poach flights from both PHL and CLT.
This thread (and its twin on the AA forum have hundreds of posts speculating on the future of the various hubs; admittedly, you have to wade thru thousands of posts to find them.

Short opinion: PHL may eventually get a flight to NRT (AA or JAL). All other Asia will be ORD or DFW. Depending on the UA situation, it's possible that someday IAD may get a flight to NRT on AA or JAL metal. CLT may not keep all of its assorted European flights and maybe some European flights from PHL end up at JFK (where the O&D is substantially higher). But PHL and CLT will likely continue to connect lots and lots of passengers, especially domestic, for whom ORD or DFW would be inefficient.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gglave
I deleted the US app from my phone I thought about the things I'll miss
Things I'll miss on AC:

- Awesome Mobile iPhone App
- Being able to use IFE and earbuds from gate to gate
- Hearing french spoken in the cabin
- Incredible vast route network in Canada (though I'll probably still have to fly AC to get to places like Timmons, ON)
- EnRoute magazine (one of the best, IMO)
- Maple Leaf lounges... gosh, I love that Quinoa Salad
- Maple Leaf lounges in every major city, not just hubs...
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by trvlr70
There will certainly be optimization between all of the hubs. For one with the influx of the US CR9, CR7, 175, 170, 190, and 319s along with AA's new 175 and 319 the new AA will be able to optimize ORD much better than they have in the past with only CR7s and 738s/MD80s at their disposal.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
You're right to a degree - fare class could be a rough proxy for margin or profitability. Fare classes are something that I don't get involved with but only read about. On monopoly/short-haul routes are there different fare classes offered or do the same fare classes just provide a larger margin or neither? If the first is used so that a given fare class provides the same margin for any flight it would work, but if the latter fare class become less of an indicator of margin. The legacy carriers certainly have enough fare classes (presumably just the way the industry developed) but WN somehow finds a way to be profitable (35-40 years straight) with only 4 fare classes if one disregards sale/introductory fares.
I should clarify that I'm suggesting something they could use fare classes for; it correlates reasonably well today, but I'm not sure that's the actual logic behind it. That said, there's a chart here with a list of US' fare classes; I can't vouch for its accuracy, but it's good enough to illustrate the point. In short, the set of classes available ends up being the same across all flights, but not all classes are marketed on every route.

I'd contrast two similar routes with different profitability. US is the only carrier flying CLT-DCA, which is presumably has a high percentage of business travelers. The cheapest fare I can find on that route is a Q fare, at $424 o/w and a 7 day advance purchase. The same-day fare seems to be an M fare at $624 o/w.

In contrast, three carriers currently fly CLT-LGA. The cheapest fare there is a K fare at $91, again, requiring a 7 day advance. The last-minute fare is a V fare at $373.

I can easily imagine a scenario where the K fare offers some minimal credit, the V and Q are in between, and the M fare offers a higher multiplier.

As you know, quite a few non-U.S. carriers give reduced/no miles for lower fare classes. Presumably that's to provide a rough correlation between fare class and margin. And presumably FFs that frequent those carriers have adapted to the loosely margin-based rewarding for flights. It could be a difference in corporate culture where companies outside the U.S. allow their people to purchase higher fare classes.
I think it's a very different environment -- and it's frankly not one I entirely understand. I don't think the US market has really been affected by the ULCCs like RyanAir and EasyJet in nearly the same way that the European market has. Oddly, RDMs seem to have been hit harder than elite qualification; BA still lets you get to mid-tier status with any 50 segments.

I think the only comparable step in that direction in the US market is the new "basic economy" E fares on DL, which are aimed at airlines like Spirit and Sun Country. For the time being, they seem to have maintained full EQMs and RDMs for everything booked through normal channels.

For better or worse, "partial credit" seems to be a third rail for US frequent flyer programs. I think that means we just end up with more devaluations, in the end -- but psychologically it seems to be impossible to cross that line.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Things I'll miss on AC
- Incredible vast route network in Canada
To me, this is one of the BIGGEST losses with the switch to OneWorld. AA/US themselves only fly to the biggest cities in Canada (I think 8 or 9 of them). The rest of the country doesn't have any OneWorld presence. I know WestJet is a partner of AA's, but does using them earn PQM's on AA?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I know WestJet is a partner of AA's, but does using them earn PQM's on AA?
No - This is what keeps a lot of unhappy Air Canada Aeroplan Members from moving their business to WestJet.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
PHX hub - retained for minimum of 3 years per the agreement with DOJ.
Of course, as per the agreement with the DOJ, the new airline can simply turn it's back on it 'if it feels that there has been a material adverse change, "in demand, the competitive environment, or New American's cost to comply." '.

Much can trigger this... higher fuel prices ... another airline starts a new route to CLT ... really almost anything in relation to operating an airline.

The biggest loser in US Airways-American Deal? You!

Last edited by serfty; Nov 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
This thread (and its twin on the AA forum have hundreds of posts speculating on the future of the various hubs; admittedly, you have to wade thru thousands of posts to find them.

Short opinion: PHL may eventually get a flight to NRT (AA or JAL). All other Asia will be ORD or DFW. Depending on the UA situation, it's possible that someday IAD may get a flight to NRT on AA or JAL metal. CLT may not keep all of its assorted European flights and maybe some European flights from PHL end up at JFK (where the O&D is substantially higher). But PHL and CLT will likely continue to connect lots and lots of passengers, especially domestic, for whom ORD or DFW would be inefficient.
In my (short) opinion, any significant future trans-Atlantic growth from the NE (Northeast) will be primarily from PHL. JFK will be right sized to concentrate on high premium/O&D routes, such as LHR, to maximize domestic slots for O&D traffic, rather than lower yielding international connections. Regarding TLV, I believe that PHL-TLV will remain even if JFK-TLV is started. There is no competition for the route out of PHL (of course this also applies to many other routes), which also carries substantial O&D cargo. JFK/EWR produces significant competition to TLV, especially from the preferred carrier, LY. If the AA/LY code share was extended to PHL and if LY started PHL-TLV, my bet is that the O&D would increase substantially as the PHL-JFK/EWR bleed would be reduced - especially for seasonal tour groups. Although half of South Florida's Jewish population and tiny compared to metro NYC, PHL has the 10th largest Jewish population in the world and is currently pushing for more active business relationships with Israel.

As I've harped to the AA fan boys here and elsewhere, AA has a new leader and to expect the same ole same ole AA route structure and philosophy that got the company into trouble in the first place is, well IMO a bit naïve. I think we can already see evidence (e.g., the LGA, DCA, DAL merger divestitures) as to how competitively aggressive DL is going to become. Consequently, I really doubt (based on history), that Parker is going to support lower yielding connecting growth out of supremely expensive/competitive JFK - compared to PHL. Parker has made statements regarding preserving AA's premium services and I bet he will, but he'll narrow that focus to very selective, consistently proven candidate routes, such as NYC/LAX-LHR.
I can only hope that he spends a few bucks of the premium profits to get rid of that Mickey Mouse tail (paint job).

It should be interesting to watch what the new AA does with next Summer's worldwide scheduling.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:13 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dtremit
I can easily imagine a scenario where the K fare offers some minimal credit, the V and Q are in between, and the M fare offers a higher multiplier.
It seems awfully complicated to try to come up with a proxy based on fare classes, which in theory correlate to spend/margin. No matter how you slice it, someone dropping $10-15k+ each year is highly likely to be a profitable customer. The more layers and proxies introduced into the system the greater the opportunities to "game" the system.

I think it's a very different environment -- and it's frankly not one I entirely understand. I don't think the US market has really been affected by the ULCCs like RyanAir and EasyJet in nearly the same way that the European market has. Oddly, RDMs seem to have been hit harder than elite qualification; BA still lets you get to mid-tier status with any 50 segments.
To go back to Jim's original contention about cost... take a look at the benefits at each BA tier... never upgrades. That makes status quite cheap to give out. Free tickets, in theory, have a cost... though if they're valued at the marginal cost of putting a butt in a seat that would have been empty anyway, it's quite small.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Things I'll miss on AC:

- Incredible vast route network in Canada (though I'll probably still have to fly AC to get to places like Timmons, ON)
I have heard French spoken in the cabin on LX...
Besides, the FFP and the fare structure ruin all of this for me (except the lounges.)
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Things I'll miss on AC:

Yes, yes. . . Also, on 747s in F they'd set up a small skating rink and require that one of FAs would be in CFSA. She'd wear blades and a mini and figure skate to entertain pax in F . . .
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
To go back to Jim's original contention about cost... take a look at the benefits at each BA tier... never upgrades. That makes status quite cheap to give out. Free tickets, in theory, have a cost... though if they're valued at the marginal cost of putting a butt in a seat that would have been empty anyway, it's quite small.
There's also the wrinkle of European carriers not really having any cabin to upgrade people to -- the "J" cabin on intra-EU flights is barely better than Y+ on US carriers. Lounge access is the tradeoff, purportedly.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Short opinion: PHL may eventually get a flight to NRT (AA or JAL). All other Asia will be ORD or DFW. Depending on the UA situation, it's possible that someday IAD may get a flight to NRT on AA or JAL metal.
I hope LAX and/or SFO ends up with a Narita route or two.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
No matter how you slice it, someone dropping $10-15k+ each year is highly likely to be a profitable customer.
But it could be marginally so - 100 segments = $100-150 per segment. Call them 400-500 miles on a CRJ-200 and it's barely breakeven to marginally profitable. From the airline's POV, is that the passenger you want to upgrade? Is that the passenger you want redeeming miles for business/first class to/from Asia (where the award ticket would wipe out any profitability and maybe cause that passenger to be a money loser).

The ideal would be to have the systems to give the actual cost per seat and revenue per seat for flights on an individual basis and for passengers on an individual basis. Then the carriers would know with decent accuracy what a passenger cost to transport vs revenue provided. Status could be by profit margin - passenger A supplies 3% profit margin and gets no status, passenger B supplies 10% margin and is Silver. Etc. The reward would match each passenger's profitability to US. But systems to do that are a ways off.

Except for one thing - alliance award flights. You're right that a US FF using an award ticket on US metal adds very little cost - the flight is operating anyway so the cost of flying the plane, employee costs, catering cost, etc is already being spent. The only difference is the extra fuel burn the extra passenger causes and catering expense for that one passenger. The big cost for "free" award tickets is when they're on alliance partners. And that's no theory. I suppose you could eliminate upgrades and offline award tickets but that'd really upset the FF's that are profitable. Alternatively you could limit upgrades and alliance award tickets to the upper tiers, as long as the system of earning upper tier status provides enough of a profit from those achieving those upper tiers.

This is an industry that will never be as simple as "I spent $X last year so I should be top tier" at least till Star Treks transporters are perfected. There's too many moving parts - i.e. factors affecting whether a passenger is profitable or not. Heck, passenger A could take the exact same flights two weeks in a row and provide a profit to US one week but a loss the next.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.