Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:57 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I suspect that the 1/7/14 date is when you can earn/redeem on either airline - US DM members can earn DMs/redeem DMs on AA and vice versa ala the CO/UA merger.
They've said "reciprocal benefits" publicly, but it's anyone's guess as to what that means on 1/7/14.

In my mind it means that CP=EXP, regardless of which airline you fly/book, though I don't think that's how they intend to execute it. I suspect we'll wind up with most benefits other than upgrades in practice.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
They've said "reciprocal benefits" publicly, but it's anyone's guess as to what that means on 1/7/14.

In my mind it means that CP=EXP, regardless of which airline you fly/book, though I don't think that's how they intend to execute it. I suspect we'll wind up with most benefits other than upgrades in practice.
Upgrades will be sold to the highest bidder. Investors and creditors want more cuts. BoD is now rumoured to be trying to hire Smisek after the razor sharp job he did at UA.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by burlax
Upgrades will be sold to the highest bidder. Investors and creditors want more cuts. BoD is now rumoured to be trying to hire Smisek after the razor sharp job he did at UA.
Shrinking an airline to profitability?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael El
I hope LAX and/or SFO ends up with a Narita route or two.
AA serves LAX-NRT and JL serves SFO-HND
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Just wanted to pass on that we're being told at work that we will leave *A on March 1st and will join OW on April 1st.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Just wanted to pass on that we're being told at work that we will leave *A on March 1st and will join OW on April 1st.
That's odd - why a month-long gap? When CO left ST to join *A, there was a 2-day gap. Moreover, TAM is scheduled to switch to OW at the end of March, so I don't see why complicate matters and add another new carrier to the mix within a day or 2 of that happening. Also, what happens between March 1st and April 1st - US DM members will only receive FF benefits when flying US or AA? That's quite limiting. Especially, if you travel internationally, lounge access is rather important. I hope this is just something they are considering but not the final outcome.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
That's odd - why a month-long gap? When CO left ST to join *A, there was a 2-day gap. Moreover, TAM is scheduled to switch to OW at the end of March, so I don't see why complicate matters and add another new carrier to the mix within a day or 2 of that happening. Also, what happens between March 1st and April 1st - US DM members will only receive FF benefits when flying US or AA? That's quite limiting. Especially, if you travel internationally, lounge access is rather important. I hope this is just something they are considering but not the final outcome.
I do agree that a one month gap is quite long given how quickly CO left ST and entered Star. Maybe some OW carries (like JL/BA/IB/AY) will be US DM earning partners before then. You don't need an alliance for that.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing that awaflyboy's post contained a typo; perhaps he meant to type March 31 instead of March 1?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm guessing that awaflyboy's post contained a typo; perhaps he meant to type March 31 instead of March 1?
When I read it last night (before going to sleep), I actually thought it said the 31st but this morning I noticed the 1st.

I have calls into US to find out what's what here.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
* A - )W miles?

So, since I am planning to switch from Star Alliance to One World when this merger is finally in place, should I change my FF # FROM UA TO US Airways on a United flight to AMS and back at the end of March before April 1? If I do, and this transition happens on April 1, will that help me with the New American and getting status? I am currently 1K on United, with no status on US Airways.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
No. The new AA is joining ST on April 1st.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: None
It would seem that there'll have to be a grace period for those already having tickets (award or paid) to accrue US miles for their flights, although until US/AA puts something out nothing is guaranteed. I'd be tempted to credit the miles to whichever carrier you'd rather accrue them with, keeping in mind that you put off doing anything until the day of your trip so can wait a while to see what news comes out.

Jim
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
It would seem that there'll have to be a grace period for those already having tickets (award or paid) to accrue US miles for their flights, although until US/AA puts something out nothing is guaranteed. I'd be tempted to credit the miles to whichever carrier you'd rather accrue them with, keeping in mind that you put off doing anything until the day of your trip so can wait a while to see what news comes out.

Jim
Would not need to pull the trigger on switching FF #'s until the day of travel in March 2014, so it would make sense to wait for official confirmation before doing anything. Just thinking ahead....

Other questions re: the new American.

Can/will you be able to earn American miles on TATL BA flights? I recall that you can't in the recent past and maybe now. There is a PHX- LHR flight I would use if you could.

Would the new American increase the number of flights to AMS? AA does not fly there, and US only has one flight out of PHX on a 757. I fly there a lot.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by remedy
Can/will you be able to earn American miles on TATL BA flights? I recall that you can't in the recent past and maybe now. There is a PHX- LHR flight I would use if you could.
Yes, you can earn AA miles on all BA flights - and have been able to since 2010.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: None
At some point, maybe as soon as US is in OW, you should be able to get miles on at least some BA flights. I seem to remember that certain BA flights had restrictions placed on them when AA/BA received ATI for their alliance, but wouldn't swear to that or even try to guess which flights might be affected.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.