Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by burlax
Oh boy, would be painful once you fall from that high horse of yours
It's reality, and if you don't want to believe that the average demographics of a US FF don't compare to an AA/DL/UA FF, then fine, you can be in denial about that. It's the entire reason why US gives it away in the first place! It's an effort to attract that high-value frequent flier that it doesn't have.

CP's should be thrilled. You are about to go from a worthless program who's only real benefit is good mileage redemption rates, to what is widely considered the best U.S. FF program.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
It's reality, and if you don't want to believe that the average demographics of a US FF don't compare to an AA/DL/UA FF, then fine, you can be in denial about that. It's the entire reason why US gives it away in the first place! It's an effort to attract that high-value frequent flier that it doesn't have.

CP's should be thrilled. You are about to go from a worthless program who's only real benefit is good mileage redemption rates, to what is widely considered the best U.S. FF program.
I would not expect it to stay that way for long, under Parker...
(especially given some of the statements that he made, that were included in the DOJ case against the merger.)
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I would not expect it to stay that way for long, under Parker...
(especially given some of the statements that he made, that were included in the DOJ case against the merger.)
I have no doubt benefits will be devalued. I don't think it will be anything dramatic, and whatever it is, it's an improvement for anybody at US. It's AA fliers that will see the hurt.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I have no doubt benefits will be devalued. I don't think it will be anything dramatic, and whatever it is, it's an improvement for anybody at US. It's AA fliers that will see the hurt.
AA flyers are the majority, though...
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:50 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't really get the whining between CPs and EXPs... I really don't. In the last three years I've been CP, EXP, and 1K. Hands down UA 1K is the most worthless of the bunch.

AA and US accomplish basically the same thing. It's not like one airline is vastly superior to the other - different, yes, but not vastly so unless you're flying 3 class F. Both are reasonably good at providing what they say they will.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Side note: Just wait 'til y'all get access to the CX F lounges in HKG. Hands down the best I've ever used.
Being HKG-based, I'm probably a bit blase about the F lounges here. No, hands down it's the Qantas F lounge in the Sydney international terminal that is the best.

Anyway, looking forward to welcoming US Airways into the Oneworld family: it'll certainly give me more options out of DCA and LGA.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:34 pm

The chances of Centurion Elite's getting EXP status is, IMO, zero. AAdvantage is a high end program with useful benefits. AA won't be giving it away like US. US could afford to give it away because it doesn't attract nearly as many high-earning clientele. Giving card members EXP would seriously devalue and dilute the program.

You can offer Centurion card holders AA EXP, and everybody will bite; but giveaway US Airways Chairman Preferred, and nobody cares. It's a pretty useless benefit.
It may be best to reflect on a track record here and elsewhere of making fact oriented statements that the merger will never happen and AA is just waiting to get out of the Agreement. Time to consider stopping the trashing of US Airways, it's FFs and it's management and either join the (new) club or move on to another carrier. Continuous Flame Baiting really doesn't reflect well on our impression of the AA FF community.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:50 pm

Trashing it's FFs? Please. Stop being so over sensitive. I have never trashed them. I'm absolutely trashing its management. If you were used to flying a premium-oriented airline and it suddenly merged with a low fare carrier, you'd be upset too. I'll stick with AA for now because I'm confident it will take steps to up US' game, like sending current FAs through a training course and introducing meals on US F in the coming months. If it doesn't, yes, I'll leave.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
You are about to go from a worthless program who's only real benefit is good mileage redemption rates, to what is widely considered the best U.S. FF program.
I'd really love to see what makes it the "best U.S. FF program". So far, in everything I've read, its been a yawn.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bkafrick
I'd really love to see what makes it the "best U.S. FF program". So far, in everything I've read, its been a yawn.
8 systemwide upgrades without a copay or buy-up is probably the most significant benefit that stands out at the 100K level. I don't think any other U.S. carrier can touch those. Even UA, which offers 6 a year, requires a buy-up to a higher fare on international and no refund of the fare difference if you don't clear. I haven't missed an international upgrade with AA in 12 years and already have cleared two for next year to/from Madrid.

A second nice benefit at that level is first class international lounge access on any fare basis. The restaurant in the Sydney Qantas lounge and the buffet in the Hong Kong Cathay first class lounge are great benefits. I know UA flyers don't get that type of access on all fares so guessing the same applies to US flyers in accessing partner first class lounges on any fare.

Do US flyers get the same 50% bonus miles at the 50K level that UA flyers get? That level at AA gives you 100% bonus miles. Hopefully when the merger is done the merged tier will retain 100% bonus miles which would be a plus for US flyers.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ellinj
I'd love to see PVD to ORD service as well.
Yes, it would be nice if this came back. I used to fly AA from PVD-ORD-LAX back when I needed the cheapest possible fare

Originally Posted by rltycheck
…for us PHX flyers, we do get a nice option set with the addition of BA. Our routing to BRU is much better via LHR than it was via PHL. Southern Europe opens up with the addition of IB, and the thought of never connecting via FRA puts a HUGE smile on my face (although I may learn to dread MAD and LHR equally).
I've connected at FRA twice recently (Terminal 2 D and E, I think) from BA to EY and return, and found it to be one of the simplest, easiest, quickest and most pleasant connection experiences I have ever had. The terminal did seem quite new, however -- maybe the LH areas are older or more crowded?

People tend to have mixed experiences at LHR; some (like me) find it great, but others don't enjoy it at all. And as for MAD, well, you probably won't dread MAD, but you may well dread IB!

Originally Posted by twa777
I suppose I'm mostly wondering about lounge access. It looks like BA has a departure lounge that should be available once US is in OW, but I'll seriously miss having access to an arrivals lounge. Being able to get a shower after an overnight flight is a pretty important benefit for me.
As I think someone mentioned earlier, you won't be missing an arrivals lounge, as they exist at T5 for BA passengers and at T3 for AA (and some other OW) passengers. Additionally, EXPs in any cabin on AA or BA can access the arrivals lounge in the terminal where they arrive after a TATL ^

Originally Posted by ty97
The AA/BA TATL JV does just that out of NYC, BOS, and ORD. From ORD, it's AA that operates the day flight (AA90). From JFK, both AA (AA142) and BA run day flights (though I think I read that the AA day flight will cease for a while during airplane interior retrofits). From BOS, BA is running the day flight.
BA runs all of the OW flights to the UK out of BOS now. AA only runs TATLs in the summer, and not to the UK.

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I wish the new AA would pick up a direct Scandinavia - US route… I would love if OW would give me a single connection option now that US is out of Star.
Did AA stop the HEL flight? I admit I'm not up to date as I rarely go northeast of the North Sea

Originally Posted by steves
I have USAirways lifetime club membership - I am hoping this transfers.
IIRC TW's lifetime club members did not receive lifetime membership in the AC. However, TW did not merge with AA. Hopefully, as US and AA are merging, the outcome will be more positive for those in your position.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by tom911
8 systemwide upgrades without a copay or buy-up is probably the most significant benefit that stands out at the 100K level. I don't think any other U.S. carrier can touch those. Even UA, which offers 6 a year, requires a buy-up to a higher fare on international and no refund of the fare difference if you don't clear. I haven't missed an international upgrade with AA in 12 years and already have cleared two for next year to/from Madrid.

A second nice benefit at that level is first class international lounge access on any fare basis. The restaurant in the Sydney Qantas lounge and the buffet in the Hong Kong Cathay first class lounge are great benefits. I know UA flyers don't get that type of access on all fares so guessing the same applies to US flyers in accessing partner first class lounges on any fare.

Do US flyers get the same 50% bonus miles at the 50K level that UA flyers get? That level at AA gives you 100% bonus miles. Hopefully when the merger is done the merged tier will retain 100% bonus miles which would be a plus for US flyers.
So, here's the thing. I don't doubt that if I were flying to Asia and Australia and Europe all the time, that stuff would be nice.

But I don't do that. Practically all of my flying is domestic or to Canada -- I'll likely hit Europe twice in 2014, and that's it. Mostly, I care about:
  • Ability to consistently hit domestic upgrades. Telling me that I'm stuck with limited upgrade ability at anything except the highest tier is a non-starter. US is giving me an over-90% upgrade rate on my domestic segments, and unless I always hit EXP AA would not be able to match that.
  • For the times when I do fly outside North America, ability to easily redeem miles for travel. And US' award chart is pretty undeniably one of the best in the industry.

And I strongly suspect that I am not the outlier here; people who have the vast majority of their travel on domestic-only or US-Canada routes are probably the majority of US-based frequent flyers. And for that type of traveler, US' program is simply better than AA's.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Telling me that I'm stuck with limited upgrade ability at anything except the highest tier is a non-starter.
When AA came out with that program, back around 2005, it was revenue neutral. They stated that the cost of the EXP/100K upgrades was balanced out by the sales of upgrades to other flyers, including flying partners of those EXPs who have to support their upgrade. If you extend free upgrades to all, there's going to be a loss of revenue, so if the merged carrier offers that, they're going to take a hit and have to balance out the revenue loss somewhere else. Not sure where that would be - more baggage fees or change fees or raise prices for snacks? When US came out with the changes to their domestic upgrade program, did they say where they would recoup the loss of revenue from upgrade sales?

US is giving me an over-90% upgrade rate on my domestic segments, and unless I always hit EXP AA would not be able to match that.
Even if AA offered every elite in the merged program upgrades, I wouldn't expect that 90% upgrade rate to hold. Just not enough seats. Some EXPs do not clear as it is on elite heavy routes/days, so you're going to have a lot of competition at the top tier let alone midtier.

And US' award chart is pretty undeniably one of the best in the industry.
Can you give me 2-3 examples of the best US awards? I'm curious what they charge compared to AA for a similar award. AA's best Europe/South America award, for example, is 40K RT in coach. The season to Europe from North America runs six full months. Another is their 10K one way awards on Qantas within Australia or between Australia and New Zealand.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tom911
Can you give me 2-3 examples of the best US awards? I'm curious what they charge compared to AA for a similar award. AA's best Europe/South America award, for example, is 40K RT in coach. The season to Europe from North America runs six full months. Another is their 10K one way awards on Qantas within Australia or between Australia and New Zealand.
Business class US to Asia for 90k RT (v. 110k on AA and A LOT more on UA/DL).
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
Mr. Kirby specifically told me, in response to a question I posed, that January 7 would be "a big day for us" in terms of offering "reciprocal frequent flyer benefits." You can interpret that to mean what you were asking about.

Above is from:
American Airlines-US Airways Merger: What Frequent Travelers Need to Know
Originally Posted by GTITAN
As a falling 1K and CP, hoping that I get January to use my 6 SWUs on UA and credit to DM.:-:
I don't see why not. From the conversations that I had, it is my understanding that there is no question that US will still be in *A in January as well as in at least part of February

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.