Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
So I put my news editor on this story, he spoke with several contacts (off the record), I spoke with US Airways PR ("cannot confirm") and this is what we have:

US Airways to Leave Star Alliance March 1, Join Oneworld One Month Later

US Airways plans to leave Star Alliance, an airline alliance that includes United Airlines and Lufthansa, on or about March 1, 2014 and will become a member of the one world alliance approximately one month later, according to two people familiar with the matter….

<SNIP>
Essentially, the date is not exact but probably close, and there will be a gap between leaving *A and joining OW which could be up to 30 days.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
At some point, maybe as soon as US is in OW, you should be able to get miles on at least some BA flights. I seem to remember that certain BA flights had restrictions placed on them when AA/BA received ATI for their alliance, but wouldn't swear to that or even try to guess which flights might be affected.

Jim
The AA restriction mileage earning for BA TATL flights was prior to ATI approval. Since the approval, BA TATL flights earn AA miles.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspira
Essentially, the date is not exact but probably close, and there will be a gap between leaving *A and joining OW which could be up to 30 days.
So up to a month with no alliance benefits if you're flying US? That would be really swell for passengers flying long-haul international flights on US metal in March.

It won't hurt too much if new AA were to grant status-matches between the two airlines so that US elites could at least fly AA metal and thus enjoy Oneworld alliance benefits.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:52 am

This should be interesting.

I have a US * partner award, flying on SK/UA with a departure in February and return in March. I wonder what would happen if there are any IRROPS related to my return in mid-March on a US-issued e-ticket to fly on UA/SK.

Will UA/SK take care of me if I'm in the middle of my itinerary? Or would US step in and re-route me? If they are alliance-less during March, it is not possible for me to get home to CPH on US alone.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
So up to a month with no alliance benefits if you're flying US? That would be really swell for passengers flying long-haul international flights on US metal in March.

It won't hurt too much if new AA were to grant status-matches between the two airlines so that US elites could at least fly AA metal and thus enjoy Oneworld alliance benefits.
My official conversation with corpcomm at US leaves me with the impression that little if anything will be announced in advance of the hearing and possibly not in advance of the date the transaction closes.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:57 am

If this person knows what he's talking about (I have very little confidence in most "seeking alpha" articles), or has inside information, the new AA seems to be planning to de-hub PHL.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1851...e?source=yahoo
"US Airways is also planning to introduce new routes between Charlotte Douglas airport and China."
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by ty97
The AA restriction mileage earning for BA TATL flights was prior to ATI approval. Since the approval, BA TATL flights earn AA miles.
Can you use AA miles for upgrades on BA TATL flights?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by perseus11
If this person knows what he's talking about (I have very little confidence in most "seeking alpha" articles), or has inside information, the new AA seems to be planning to de-hub PHL.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1851...e?source=yahoo
"US Airways is also planning to introduce new routes between Charlotte Douglas airport and China."
Wondering then if they will still serve AMS. Only one flight per day from PHL on US. Option B is to fly from PHX -> LHR -> AMS which has appeal for sleeping on the way over and the reason for my questions about getting and using American miles on BA.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Lifetime club membership after merger

This is a somewhat obscure question which I know has no definite answer yet, but I am just putting it out there. I have tried to check and search for this topic in the overwhelming number of posts but cant find anything about it yet.

I have USAirways lifetime club membership - I am hoping this transfers. I also purchase the United club add on yearly and just renewed it in October this year.

Has anyone on the board heard anything - rumors, etc?

I have found that on some flights it is cheaper to fly United but put all my miles in USAirways program. I already have flights booked out until April 1 on United - I assume I will just have some orphan miles on the United program.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Hmmm, leaving *A March 1 with no Alliance for about a month, you say. I am booked on US CLT-LHR in Envoy, April 10. I logged into Flytertalk to do some checking on what arrivals lounge options I have but I read this thread first. It now seems possible that I could be a man without an Alliance with no place to freshen up upon arrival.

I'm thinking even if they join OW April 1, AA is in terminal 3 and US is in terminal 1 at LHR right? Best case I have to change terminals to use the lounge, uugghh. Worst case, no Alliance no lounge, double uugghh...

I guess we'll see....
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Hmmm, leaving *A March 1 with no Alliance for about a month, you say. I am booked on US CLT-LHR in Envoy, April 10. I logged into Flytertalk to do some checking on what arrivals lounge options I have but I read this thread first. It now seems possible that I could be a man without an Alliance with no place to freshen up upon arrival.

I'm thinking even if they join OW April 1, AA is in terminal 3 and US is in terminal 1 at LHR right? Best case I have to change terminals to use the lounge, uugghh. Worst case, no Alliance no lounge, double uugghh...

I guess we'll see....
What arrangements does US have for an arrivals lounge now?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by steves
This is a somewhat obscure question which I know has no definite answer yet, but I am just putting it out there. I have tried to check and search for this topic in the overwhelming number of posts but cant find anything about it yet.

I have USAirways lifetime club membership - I am hoping this transfers. I also purchase the United club add on yearly and just renewed it in October this year.

Has anyone on the board heard anything - rumors, etc?

I have found that on some flights it is cheaper to fly United but put all my miles in USAirways program. I already have flights booked out until April 1 on United - I assume I will just have some orphan miles on the United program.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Without any definite knowledge, if it were like the NW-DL and/or UA-CO mergers, the life time memberships were honored. More likely than not, yes as to the orphaned miles.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Read the T&C of the lifetime membership. Is it for your lifetime or the club's lifetime. Since the US Airways clubs (in name) will be going away/renamed to AAdmiral's clubs, there may be language in the T&C that give them an out to not honor those any more. But that doesn't mean they would....
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by PHL
Read the T&C of the lifetime membership. Is it for your lifetime or the club's lifetime. Since the US Airways clubs (in name) will be going away/renamed to AAdmiral's clubs, there may be language in the T&C that give them an out to not honor those any more. But that doesn't mean they would....
As noted, given that none of the other mergers tried that trick, doubt US and AA will either. As I often counsel my clients, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Safe Travels
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm guessing that awaflyboy's post contained a typo; perhaps he meant to type March 31 instead of March 1?
Nope, no typo. I've been told this in my daily briefings and it's always the same as posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.